BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thaicurious

Thai Translation Apps -- Google Translator Camera

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

It does work pretty well, it works even better in western languages. I tried it with a Portugese coffee label, it was as if the label was printed in English. I was shown it by one of the girls in the office, had to look at the label again to be sure I hadn't missed the English side 🙂

In Thai it's great for signs, supermarket offers and the like. Menus are more, er, interesting. I can see where some of the humourous English menu offerings come from. That said, it's much, much better than it was even a couple of years back.

please provide file name, would like to try

8 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Google Translate (ad-free app available for free at the Play Store) now supports optical character recognition for translating Thai written text to English (other languages too, perhaps, haven't checked).

Apparently it exists for Thai since October 2018 (https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/10/google-translates-camera-mode-can-now-recognize-arabic-thai-hindi-languages/) but I didn't know it, so Thank you @thaicurious :jap:

BTW yes it exists for many other languages for several years already .English, Spanish, French... were first. Chinese, Japan,... came later. Now many languages ! See https://translate.google.com/about/languages/

Yes, it is available at the Google play store, and it’s called Google Translate......which is why it’s available for Android at the play store.

The android version installs the vocabulary file on an SD card.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Yes, it is available at the Google play store, and it’s called Google Translate......which is why it’s available for Android at the play store.

have google translate with camera but no offline.... the offline translate has no camera, am I doing something wrong? disconnect wifi and the camera doesn't work and ask to check my connection

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

all my off line languages work maybe it's a different program? visited the store and there are 2 other programs one for a camera/photd and the other speaking/conversation but no made by android

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Apparently it exists for Thai since October 2018 (https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/10/google-translates-camera-mode-can-now-recognize-arabic-thai-hindi-languages/) but I didn't know it, so Thank you @thaicurious :jap:

BTW yes it exists for many other languages for several years already .English, Spanish, French... were first. Chinese, Japan,... came later. Now many languages ! See https://translate.google.com/about/languages/

You're welcome. I'd been checking every couple of months seeing that they already had optical recognition for other languages but not yet Thai. I'd found that some people on google forums had requested the app accommodate Thai written language so I was hoping google was working on it. About a month ago after noticing it on my phone I mentioned it to someone else who wasn't yet aware and just now was reading some posts in Thai translation forum where it didn't seem this yet known so I thought to post here.

(I was gonna post there too but that seemed more about learning to translate and this seems more about not having to)

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

have google translate with camera but no offline.... the offline translate has no camera, am I doing something wrong? disconnect wifi and the camera doesn't work and ask to check my connection

all my off line languages work maybe it's a different program? visited the store and there are 2 other programs one for a camera/photd and the other speaking/conversation but no made by android

I just tried again to shut down router, this time finding option also to not seamlessly hook up to another hotspot within range but still I wound up online. I think maybe it defaults from internet hotspot when unavailable to its own wireless phone network and I've no idea how to shut that down to test if app working offline. Sorry.

But I did just go into the app's settings, so go there. Now tap Data Usage and you'll see option for "download offline translation files". PS I don't know if that applies to camera as well.

PPS. Just now reading google translate support which notes to download language for instant optical translation where available (some languages have that in addition to manual snapping picture) so I'd think the function available offline, if only I knew how to get offline to test it.

That info is available in the app's setup under "learn more"

11 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

You're welcome. I'd been checking every couple of months seeing that they already had optical recognition for other languages but not yet Thai. I'd found that some people on google forums had requested the app accommodate Thai written language so I was hoping google was working on it. About a month ago after noticing it on my phone I mentioned it to someone else who wasn't yet aware and just now was reading some posts in Thai translation forum where it didn't seem this yet known so I thought to post here.

(I was gonna post there too but that seemed more about learning to translate and this seems more about not having to)

I just tried again to shut down router, this time finding option also to not seamlessly hook up to another hotspot within range but still I wound up online. I think maybe it defaults from internet hotspot when unavailable to its own wireless phone network and I've no idea how to shut that down to test if app working offline. Sorry.

But I did just go into the app's settings, so go there. Now tap Data Usage and you'll see option for "download offline translation files". PS I don't know if that applies to camera as well.

PPS. Just now reading google translate support which notes to download language for instant optical translation where available (some languages have that in addition to manual snapping picture) so I'd think the function available offline, if only I knew how to get offline to test it.

That info is available in the app's setup under "learn more"

Camera doesn't work off line, tried many times, I do have voice as well but again online only. Offline only for typing messages or research translate words or conversation, information was misleading

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Camera doesn't work off line, tried many times, I do have voice as well but again online only. Offline only for typing messages or research translate words or conversation, information was misleading

I had said "I don't know if that applies to camera as well" so I'm not quite sure how that was being misleading.

But if it makes you feel any better. I did finally figure out how to disconnect phone from accessing its own mobile connection as well as hotspots, tested the camera aspect of translate app and did indeed receive message requiring to be online to function.

Still, for anyone who can access a local hotspot, even if not using your own mobile time, it's still a game changer.

7 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

I had said "I don't know if that applies to camera as well" so I'm not quite sure how that was being misleading.

But if it makes you feel any better. I did finally figure out how to disconnect phone from accessing its own mobile connection as well as hotspots, tested the camera aspect of translate app and did indeed receive message requiring to be online to function.

Still, for anyone who can access a local hotspot, even if not using your own mobile time, it's still a game changer.

This service has been available for the past 2 years, have been using it since end 2017 with voice as well, thus nothing new

28 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

This service has been available for the past 2 years, have been using it since end 2017 with voice as well, thus nothing new

That is incorrect. Rather the camera function (OCR) aspect of this app is indeed new with respect to translating the Thai language. This function posted here did not exist in 2017 in Google Translate for the Thai language. Thus you can either continue being completely negative and wrong or you can lick your wounds that it won't work offline currently and be positive that maybe this is just one step in its development, that maybe future improvements might include seamless translation as they've made available with other languages and maybe even completely offline translation after appropriate downloads.

This is cool!

My Thai girlfriend pointed the camera at me and it said "ATM". :clap2:

Works great. :cheesy:

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

This is cool!

My Thai girlfriend pointed the camera at me and it said "ATM". :clap2:

Works great. :cheesy:

That's funny. But is she still laughing when she focuses in on your exchange rate? (I have no idea what that means--and spare us the details.)

But, yeah, it is cool. Even cooler (& maybe a future version) is as Crossy noted the app with languages that it translates instantly, without snapping a pic. I just tried it on Google Translate with the Spanish for grins and pointed to some signage images on computer screen. It's like wearing babel fish eyes. Super cool. So instant that--similar to Crossy's experience--I'm looking behind the camera to see if it is still in Spanish on the screen. It really gives you that sense that you have to double check it. Very fun tech.

12 hours ago, thaicurious said:

That is incorrect. Rather the camera function (OCR) aspect of this app is indeed new with respect to translating the Thai language. This function posted here did not exist in 2017 in Google Translate for the Thai language. Thus you can either continue being completely negative and wrong or you can lick your wounds that it won't work offline currently and be positive that maybe this is just one step in its development, that maybe future improvements might include seamless translation as they've made available with other languages and maybe even completely offline translation after appropriate downloads.

whow somebody has a problem with receiving ""not agree upon"" feed back, check you data because as I said, have been using it since the end of 2017 early 2018 and it was there, maybe a new update brought some improvement fixtures.... keep it up, you doing fine, just relax a bit and it would be perfect

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

whow somebody has a problem with receiving ""not agree upon"" feed back, check you data because as I said, have been using it since the end of 2017 early 2018 and it was there, maybe a new update brought some improvement fixtures.... keep it up, you doing fine, just relax a bit and it would be perfect

The "camera function for reading Thai language"

is part of the Google Translate update from October 2018...

See here or Google...

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

The "camera function for reading Thai language"

is part of the Google Translate update from October 2018...

See here or Google...

I didn't mention Thai did I? I have been using the camera fixture since it was introduced, my wife said late 2017 early 2018 she could be wrong but she has used it on a regular basis, if the guy is trying to make a point about Thai language it's not my problem, I don't need it to translate Thai