BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thaicurious

Thai Translation Apps -- Google Translator Camera

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I didn't mention Thai did I? // if the guy is trying to make a point about Thai language it's not my problem, I don't need it to translate Thai 

First lines of the OP :

On 2/11/2019 at 5:06 AM, thaicurious said:

Google Translate (ad-free app available for free at the Play Store) now supports optical character recognition for translating Thai written text to English

:wink:

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

First lines of the OP :

:wink:

have been writing Thai in google translate for the past 2 years and it has always worked out, now it can translate a text from an outside source by using a camera, used it to translate a scanned Thai document and it worked, you know what, forget about it, not worth the time with such a silly topic

On 2/11/2019 at 6:50 AM, Nemises said:

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! Only problem I found is that it appears you need to have internet access for the Google camera translator to work? - unlike the Google text translator which works offline after you’ve downloaded required database/s.

In Google Translate you can download an offline translation file.

be handy with phone set up as per a dash cam!    then drive on pretty much any foreign road, and know where you are; especially the upcoming sign, now readable!

Also would be handy if they made a subtitles app for Thai TV so I could know what all those thai hotties are saying when I sit glued to the daytime serial dramas. Crikey some (nearly all) of them are gorgeous.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

In Google Translate you can download an offline translation file.

Problem is that the download doesn't work offline for the OCR (camera) aspect of the app for the Thai language as of yet. I just tested that again with my phone offline using Thai and also this time with Spanish. As well, I first deleted my original download and re-downloaded the Thai file to make sure that current.

The Spanish aspect worked perfectly offline. Plus that has the instant seamless translation on screen, so fun. Of course the first sign I pointed to said "Watch out. Message in Spanish" lol. Everyone's a comic.

Then I tested the Thai language offline using the OCR (camera) option but received instead this message "Please check your network connection and try again". So back online, tried again and sure enough it works perfectly translating a Thai written sign "Do not bring puppies, kittens to release the temple area" but that you have to click to snap pic, it's not seamless or instant, yet, like the Spanish version.

My assumption is they'll one day bring up to speed. Meanwhile for anyone to find a google forum and suggesting same probably wouldn't hurt to show people are interested in and appreciate the work they are doing. I think what they've accomplished is pretty damned impressive.

1 hour ago, tifino said:

be handy with phone set up as per a dash cam!    then drive on pretty much any foreign road, and know where you are; especially the upcoming sign, now readable!

That'll work better when it is seamless (instant) so as to not be fumbling with phone while driving. But like I mentioned, I could see a day when they have this in glasses or even contacts or cyborged. Or before that a screen you clip onto your windshield so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Though by then will be auto driven cars doing all that for you anyway. Tech is moving fast.

45 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Also would be handy if they made a subtitles app for Thai TV so I could know what all those thai hotties are saying when I sit glued to the daytime serial dramas. Crikey some (nearly all) of them are gorgeous.

A Colombian roommate back in college told me how he had learned English by watching TV so I tried inundating myself with Spanish TV dramas to see if it would catch. Nope. Hopelessly mono-lingual. Thus my love for this app.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, Nemises said:

If you select "Voice" input for Google Translate App on your mobile, it should give you English translation of what those Thai hotties are saying on TV.

^ Thanks, but what I was hoping for was that there will be an app one day that will allow your device to connect via Bluetooth to a TV and then provide a continual English translation of every word spoken, as opposed to the current "Voice" functionality in Google Translate which only allows for short passages of voice translation at a time.

13 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ Thanks, but what I was hoping for was that there will be an app one day that will allow your device to connect via Bluetooth to a TV and then provide a continual English translation of every word spoken...

Oh, I see what you're asking. Okay, well, one day you'll have glasses to translate Thai text continuously for your eyes, a babel fish stuck in your ear to translate streaming voice and then to even feel every word spoken by the hotties on TV a device you set on your crotch to translate it all for you in "braille".

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven

On 2/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, 007 RED said:

Just loaded app.  Checked settings.  Tried on sample Thai text but keep getting message "Service inaccesable please try later (Error 8010).... Any ideas please ?

I have never been successful in the past. It just scans forever. Tonight I updated and get the error you'd did: E-810.

With the success others are reporting it makes me wonder if we're talking about the same app! Google translate with the camera has never worked for me.

Yes, I have full internet connection and the app works otherwise. Maybe something different about the camera? Res too high? 

I'm using a Samsung galaxy 7.

Before I updated the app:

I tried it with live camera and it didn't do anything. I snap the picture button and it takes a picture and starts scanning forever. After the update I get the error whether I feed it a live shot or a saved pix. 

Two images I gave it seem clear to me. 

20190215_185807.jpg

20190215_185754.jpg

I can read Thai, and honestly all of the translation apps do a pretty terrible job. 

If its pure perfect Thai it's possibly understandable.

But then if you get any of the variants, Isaan Lao for example which is written in Thai script, it becomes gobbledegook

On 2/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, RocketDog said:

I have never been successful in the past. It just scans forever. Tonight I updated and get the error you'd did: E-810.

With the success others are reporting it makes me wonder if we're talking about the same app! Google translate with the camera has never worked for me.

Yes, I have full internet connection and the app works otherwise. Maybe something different about the camera? Res too high? 

I'm using a Samsung galaxy 7.

Before I updated the app:

I tried it with live camera and it didn't do anything. I snap the picture button and it takes a picture and starts scanning forever. After the update I get the error whether I feed it a live shot or a saved pix. 

Two images I gave it seem clear to me. 

20190215_185807.jpg

20190215_185754.jpg

agree with you and made a comment about that...the OP posting it was not happy with any (positive or negative) criticism, since he was so keen with the function, quite surprised he didn't answer you yet

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

agree with you and made a comment about that...the OP posting it was not happy with any (positive or negative) criticism, since he was so keen with the function, quite surprised he didn't answer you yet

I've already addressed this particular issue of functionality numerously, reporting that I've found the camera function to work perfectly well while connected to the internet, but that I confirmed finding, as others found that the Thai language is not yet working offline with camera while other languages do work offline. I'd imagine future versions will work better as other languages do now.

I've already said that I looked up the reported error number which looks to me like an operating system issue, not an app issue. But I'm not a tech guy and so I suggested approaching tech forums for appropriate advice.

To the rest of what you've shared, you should discuss all that with your therapist.