Thai Translation Apps -- Google Translator Camera

thaicurious

53 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

I've already addressed this particular issue of functionality numerously, reporting that I've found the camera function to work perfectly well while connected to the internet, but that I confirmed finding, as others found that the Thai language is not yet working offline with camera while other languages do work offline. I'd imagine future versions will work better as other languages do now.

I've already said that I looked up the reported error number which looks to me like an operating system issue, not an app issue. But I'm not a tech guy and so I suggested approaching tech forums for appropriate advice.

To the rest of what you've shared, you should discuss all that with your therapist.

don't tell that to me, I know it, tell that to the ones not knowing and getting frustrated

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

don't tell that to me, I know it, tell that to the ones not knowing and getting frustrated

I don't know what you are dealing with internally but you seem to be getting upset over a non issue.

While I might have responded to one or another particular poster, I posted into an open forum where all are free to read or not, to contribute or not. That I opened a topic does not make me thread monitor. I own neither the topic nor the thread.

If you had an answer for the guy, either your own or one you've read elsewhere, either by me or by anyone, maybe it would be more helpful for you to simply offer that to the person rather than aggravate by blaming someone else for not responding, particularly when the response was there, just written to another person that this person could have bothered to read as this is an open forum.

If 20 or whatever number of people keep asking the same thing, it is not up to the OP of a thread to keep answering all 20 people individually what was already answered once or even a few times by then. It isn't anything personal. It is simply exhausting.

12 hours ago, thaicurious said:

I don't know what you are dealing with internally but you seem to be getting upset over a non issue.

While I might have responded to one or another particular poster, I posted into an open forum where all are free to read or not, to contribute or not. That I opened a topic does not make me thread monitor. I own neither the topic nor the thread.

If you had an answer for the guy, either your own or one you've read elsewhere, either by me or by anyone, maybe it would be more helpful for you to simply offer that to the person rather than aggravate by blaming someone else for not responding, particularly when the response was there, just written to another person that this person could have bothered to read as this is an open forum.

If 20 or whatever number of people keep asking the same thing, it is not up to the OP of a thread to keep answering all 20 people individually what was already answered once or even a few times by then. It isn't anything personal. It is simply exhausting.

doing ok, thanks..... should worry about you, for someone who doesn't have time to answer the 20 or so people who have questions, you sure do have time to keep non sense answer to my post,

On 2/17/2019 at 2:05 PM, thaicurious said:

I've already addressed this particular issue of functionality numerously, reporting that I've found the camera function to work perfectly well while connected to the internet, but that I confirmed finding, as others found that the Thai language is not yet working offline with camera while other languages do work offline. I'd imagine future versions will work better as other languages do now.

I've already said that I looked up the reported error number which looks to me like an operating system issue, not an app issue. But I'm not a tech guy and so I suggested approaching tech forums for appropriate advice.

To the rest of what you've shared, you should discuss all that with your therapist.

From Rocketdog ;

Thank you for following the error message. For decades now I've always greatly appreciated the arcane and useless error messages that computers give you. Many times a list of error codes and explanations are simply not available. 

As for the online/offline thing. I read your post and was careful to verify my internet connection and even its speed. I was connected and still got the same error message. 

The app does seem to work, in real time, with other languages such as Spanish. So I'm hoping also for a future version that works seamlessly with Thai as well. 

Thanks for your post though because it led me to try again to see if it worked any better. Alas, it did not. 

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

I'm hoping also for a future version that works seamlessly with Thai as well

Good post, RocketDog. Thank you.

Check your app every few months. That's what I was doing from when I first looked for Thai camera translation but didn't find it until finding the google app had updated to be at least functional now with internet connection. That much progress so far indicates to me that there could be future improvements along the lines of how other languages function within the same app. Even just by internet, I'm sold. When they get if off line? Even better.

5 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

Good post, RocketDog. Thank you.

Check your app every few months. That's what I was doing from when I first looked for Thai camera translation but didn't find it until finding the google app had updated to be at least functional now with internet connection. That much progress so far indicates to me that there could be future improvements along the lines of how other languages function within the same app. Even just by internet, I'm sold. When they get if off line? Even better.

Agreed. Google is updating a lot of their stuff using AI. interesting that this has improved the translator in some ways and made it worst in others. It tries to turn my input into American cliches and colloquial speech even if I'm trying to speak formally. 

Oh well, it's a brave new world my friend. 

Onward thru the fog. 

19 hours ago, RocketDog said:

It tries to turn my input into American cliches and colloquial speech even if I'm trying to speak formally. 

Oh well, it's a brave new world my friend.

Yeah, I think someone else also mentioned similarly that it doesn't pick up dialects of Thai language. But probably an improvement over my non-existent capacity for learning and putting into practice knowledge of other languages, outside of friendly greetings. And I have tried.

So for me, this just removes some frustration while adding some humor.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:31 AM, thaicurious said:

You're welcome. I'd been checking every couple of months seeing that they already had optical recognition for other languages but not yet Thai. I'd found that some people on google forums had requested the app accommodate Thai written language so I was hoping google was working on it. About a month ago after noticing it on my phone I mentioned it to someone else who wasn't yet aware and just now was reading some posts in Thai translation forum where it didn't seem this yet known so I thought to post here.

(I was gonna post there too but that seemed more about learning to translate and this seems more about not having to)

I just tried again to shut down router, this time finding option also to not seamlessly hook up to another hotspot within range but still I wound up online. I think maybe it defaults from internet hotspot when unavailable to its own wireless phone network and I've no idea how to shut that down to test if app working offline. Sorry.

But I did just go into the app's settings, so go there. Now tap Data Usage and you'll see option for "download offline translation files". PS I don't know if that applies to camera as well.

PPS. Just now reading google translate support which notes to download language for instant optical translation where available (some languages have that in addition to manual snapping picture) so I'd think the function available offline, if only I knew how to get offline to test it.

That info is available in the app's setup under "learn more"

Excuse me for commenting before reading the entire thread, but if you want to get your phone “offline” you need to go into your settings and turn off “mobile data” and “WiFi” your phone should then be a combination phone and paperweight 👍🏼😄

When you’ve checked if the app works or not turn those two settings back on and you should be back to normal. 

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Excuse me for commenting before reading the entire thread, but if you want to get your phone “offline” you need to go into your settings and turn off “mobile data” and “WiFi” your phone should then be a combination phone and paperweight 👍🏼😄

When you’ve checked if the app works or not turn those two settings back on and you should be back to normal. 

Thanx but had finally figured it out. Guess I'd never looked for the option before. At first it felt a little like being a dog chained to a tree, tugging me back when I'd try to run: damned internet wouldn't let me go.

Doubt if I'll ever be back to normal though, but I do appreciate your optimism.

Just want to say thank you to OP for pointing out this update. I used to check regularly for this specific feature but gave up some time ago. Thanks OP, no idea how long it would have taken me to realise this update had been released without your thread.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:33 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I can read Thai, and honestly all of the translation apps do a pretty terrible job. 

If its pure perfect Thai it's possibly understandable.

But then if you get any of the variants, Isaan Lao for example which is written in Thai script, it becomes gobbledegook

Yes.

I just tried it. It couldnt even translate ธนาคารกรุงเทพ  from their website (I think it could not read the fonts)

10 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Yes.

I just tried it. It couldnt even translate ธนาคารกรุงเทพ  from their website (I think it could not read the fonts)

The problem is a lot if it is transliteration. 

I leaned real Thai first, then of course you realize 50% of them only speak real Thai as a second language.

So then you have this weird language world where, there is no dictionary, and they are writing their native language in Thai script just based on sound.

It took me a bit of time to figure it all out. 

Software algorithms aren't so good at that 

Archived