Brexit: What will happen in the British parliament on February 14?

webfact

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Those were the rules on the day of the referendum, which we all had to adhere to. One vote either way would have given a result of leave or stay and I'm pretty sure had the result have gone the other way we would not be debating about it now. Personally I think a simple majority is fine by me, if one side has to get many more votes than the other side, it seems a tad unfair to me, but that is only my opinion. 

As for calling for a re-run, if a simple leave or remain question is too complicated for the electorate, would it be fair to say that a document of 500 pages might be a little bit harder for the electorate to understand.

I don't think it matters who lied the most, a lie is a lie. Politicians are still economical with the truth.

There was also a rule on the day of the referendum that it was only advisory 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Why don't you tell us then? We know what you don't want, what do you want?

I asked several days ago if any Brexiters could tell me what they, themselves, personally expected to Benefit from Brexit? No responses.

Not only do selfish Brexiters not give a damn about others, they have no idea what they want! How dumb is that? It's purely tribal.

Given as I have heard so many different stories from those who voted Brexit why they did, clearly they are not singing from the same hymn sheet. no wonder we can not sort it, look at were we are now after nearly 3 years, in rowing boat, without a paddle, and we are going to go over Viagara Falls in 46 days time. and the skipper say trust me...

Need to tie her up and use her as an anchor...

For those who wonder what might happen in the next six weeks, read this thread 

TL:DR

The longer we delay: 

We are getting ourselves into a weaker and weaker position.

We have the brewings of several constitutional crises 

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Keep your eyes on Sterling.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Why would anyone want to use this figure of "17.4 of 66 million = 26.4%" when it also includes people like babies, young children and teenagers under the age of 18. There are about 20 million of the population that are illegible to vote. Would it not be less confusing if you just used the appropiate figures of the actual voters.

What do you mean? Their crosses can not be read?

9 minutes ago, tebee said:

There was also a rule on the day of the referendum that it was only advisory 

Is it time to move on tebee, the referendum took place going on 3 years ago, we have been down this road so many times the cobbles are getting worn away. You and the rest of the remainers that are chanting the same old mantra everytime they post is not going to change anything, can't we just admit that the government gave the public a choice of remain or leave, they promised to impliment that choice that they voted for. It has happened, there is no going back, we are at another chapter in the Brexit book. What satisfaction do you and your fellow reminiscers get by keep bringing it up, it is history. Nothing you say will change it, so again please move on. Advisory or not, it is happening.

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I asked several days ago if any Brexiters could tell me what they, themselves, personally expected to Benefit from Brexit? No responses.

Not only do selfish BrexitYers not give a damn about others, they have no idea what they want! How dumb is that? It's purely tribal.

You've clearly missed the things we don't want from the eu - namely (admittedly in my IMO) freedom of movement/way too wasteful and expensive govt. etc. etc.

As a 'relatively' wealthy brexiteer - I care far more  about the poorest in society, whose wages are being kept as low as possible due to the influx of eu citizens from far poorer eu countries.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

You've clearly missed the things we don't want from the eu - namely (admittedly in my IMO) freedom of movement/way too wasteful and expensive govt. etc. etc.

As a 'relatively' wealthy brexiteer - I care far more  about the poorest in society, whose wages are being kept as low as possible due to the influx of eu citizens from far poorer eu countries.

We know all that! We're bored of hearing it.

WHAT DO YOU WANT? any of you? Somebody??

53 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Not only do selfish Brexiters not give a damn about others, they have no idea what they want! How dumb is that? It's purely tribal.

Complete severance & a full Fleetwood Mac.

(Go our own way)

49 minutes ago, vogie said:

Is it time to move on tebee, the referendum took place going on 3 years ago, we have been down this road so many times the cobbles are getting worn away. You and the rest of the remainers that are chanting the same old mantra everytime they post is not going to change anything, can't we just admit that the government gave the public a choice of remain or leave, they promised to impliment that choice that they voted for. It has happened, there is no going back, we are at another chapter in the Brexit book. What satisfaction do you and your fellow reminiscers get by keep bringing it up, it is history. Nothing you say will change it, so again please move on. Advisory or not, it is happening.

Equally  you will have to admit there is no legal obstacle to us not leaving the EU  If the government rescind art 50 before 29/3 the will face no legal consequences, though there may be political ones..

If, however they leave without a deal, they will have broken the GFA which is legal obligation.

It will be interesting to see what they chose.

55 minutes ago, tebee said:

Equally  you will have to admit there is no legal obstacle to us not leaving the EU  If the government rescind art 50 before 29/3 the will face no legal consequences, though there may be political ones..

If, however they leave without a deal, they will have broken the GFA which is legal obligation.

Started to reply, and then realised I couldn't be bothered with such nonsense.

But I do agree with the last para.  It will be v. interesting to see how our MPs' vote.

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Of course there is no legal reason not to leave the EU, but many might say that it may be curtains for both political parties should they choose to go down that route.

But when we have remainer Kinnock being economical with the truth with D Raab it just proves who has the most savvy. Kinnock looked a fool.

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

Of course there is no legal reason not to leave the EU, but many might say that it may be curtains for both political parties should they choose to go down that route.

At this point in time both parties are going to take a hammering what ever they do now...

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yet in a general election even a majority of 1 vote (after recounts) is a winning vote.

Would you whine about that too?

Bill, "whine" is beneath you. So is joining in the war of slogans - they are both as bad as each other.

'So where the bloody hell do we go next' is a far more important matter. How do we keep the UK intact? How do we disappoint the least number of people possible in a polarised society?

Mate, rise above it and let them fling their posters, banners and insults at one another. Neither side is listening to the other and all it does is spoil your day....

11 hours ago, baboon said:

Bill, "whine" is beneath you. So is joining in the war of slogans - they are both as bad as each other.

'So where the bloody hell do we go next' is a far more important matter. How do we keep the UK intact? How do we disappoint the least number of people possible in a polarised society?

Mate, rise above it and let them fling their posters, banners and insults at one another. Neither side is listening to the other and all it does is spoil your day....

Sorry about that.

I have lost the bookmark for the good news pages.

Sadly they have been doing it for the last 2 1/2 years and show no signs of stopping yet. When Brexit goes through in whatever form I think that it will get a lot worse that it is now and that is saying something.

At this point I don't think that anybody has the faintest idea of what will happen after 30th March.

The PM has her plan, many Tory MPs have another plan, JC and the Labour party yet another, the Lib/Dems and other hopeless parties have their own plans, the SNP under Sturgeon are plotting liberation from the English, (if they get it they won't be able to do much with it), the EU commission have their own plans.

I have the feeling that Germany and one or two other countries will still want to trade with the UK despite the EU commissioners.

This is becoming the biggest c**k up since the Grand old Duke of York marched his men to the top of the hill and down again.

13 hours ago, vogie said:

But what are the alternatives to Lab or Con, please don't say Mr Dynamics party Lib/Dem.

Negative politics again.

Last time we had Liberal Government we had an Empire, a hundred years of Tory and Labour Governments, and what are we left with?

A Disunited Kingdom.  

15 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Negative politics again.

Last time we had Liberal Government we had an Empire, a hundred years of Tory and Labour Governments, and what are we left with?

A Disunited Kingdom.  

Not sure the point you are making here, if you are saying that the reason the Liberals have not been in power for 1 hundred years is because they don't appeal to the public, I agree. 

And the Lib Dems were the party of remain dispite the majority of the country voting leave, on that basis alone why do you think they were not more popular than they were. The only conclusion I can see is that whilst the country voted to leave, the lib dems were touting to remain, British voters don't like the 'Mother knows best' approach.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Sorry about that.

Sadly they have been doing it for the last 2 1/2 years and show no signs of stopping yet. When Brexit goes through in whatever form I think that it will get a lot worse that it is now and that is saying something.

At this point I don't think that anybody has the faintest idea of what will happen after 30th March.

The PM has her plan, many Tory MPs have another plan, JC and the Labour party yet another, the Lib/Dems and other hopeless parties have their own plans, the SNP under Sturgeon are plotting liberation from the English, (if they get it they won't be able to do much with it), the EU commission have their own plans.

I have the feeling that Germany and one or two other countries will still want to trade with the UK despite the EU commissioners.

This is becoming the biggest c**k up since the Grand old Duke of York marched his men to the top of the hill and down again.

"This is becoming the biggest c**k up since the Grand old Duke of York marched his men to the top of the hill and down again."

A deliberate c**k up IMO.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sorry about that.

Who will be first to spot the connection....

Grouse?

On 2/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, tebee said:

what they chose?

seems to me that no-deal Brexit is a too tall call in parliament - a loser

revoking A50? also, a pretty tall call - me thinks

what is left? the may-deal in the Westminster litter repository - dust off - approve

this is what is available to and under control of the UK leadership

---

now and then water turns into wine,  not often though

EU could open the backstop issue

EU could agree to A50 prolongation if UK so requests

European elections: Anti-EU populists set to win enough seats to gain influence and ‘paralyse’ bloc

The growth of anti-EU parties in the European Parliament elections in May could “paralyse” the bloc in a range of policy areas, a stark report seen by The Independent has warned.

Nationalist, eurosceptic, and far-right parties could bring about a “qualitative change” in the union after winning a third of seats, according to the European Council on Foreign Relations, a pro-EU think tank.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/european-elections-2019-eurosceptic-far-right-juncker-foreign-policy-eurozone-a8773531.html

Archived