BANGKOK
webfact

Climate change seen as top threat, but U.S. power a growing worry - poll

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

As a American I am proud to have a President that want's all countries to pay handsomely for a clean environment,protection and fair trade ! 

Whilst employing illegal workers, paying them lower rates and getting his campaign stuff made cheaply overseas, along with Ivanka's goodies...........not to mention encouraging more fossil fuel production and not understanding (too dumb) how this affects climate change.

Unless of course you were having a joke at our expense?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I find it quite worrying that nearly half of the people around the world view the US as a major threat, numbers which have skyrocketed in the last two years, from 8 to 50%. Since Mr. Trump has taken power, what was almost a non issue, is one of the greatest concerns. To my mind, it means that Mr. Trump is giving an exceptionally poor performance, not assisted by his deceitful and manipulative means, or his fundamental character which so, so many see as fatally flawed. We all make mistakes, but I pray America doesn't repeat its huge one, in the elections next year, and the world can start to move forward again.

As for the climate, it should be our top priority, denial of which is at least partially to blame for the concern so many have with administrations who choose to ignore it.

That survey was taken at a University of California transgender studies class and the  roll of transgenders impact on in  relation to climate change. Must be getting cooler when so many wear Poosy hats to stay warm?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, goferman said:

It's been properly named climate change for nearly 20 years.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

You'd do better to listen to others than Rush, Alex, Donald et al.

Well nobody can argue that the fact that climate changes, always has and always will.  Global warming is a far more debatable proposition. Hence the interchangability of both terms to support arguments both ways.

Climate may change but people surely don't!

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It is the increase of energy within the earth’s atmosphere and oceans due to global warming that is powering climate change.

It’s not difficult to understand, you just need a basic understanding of thermodynamics and access to the factual global climate data.

If you are too busy for that, take a short cut to knowledge and consult the scientific consensus.

If the people hyping climate change were not in the press a good deal of the time, then most people would not even notice anything happening.  Farmers have known for generations that there are good years and bad years for weather.  We've had the wettest winter in years here in California. Global warming, climate change, who cares.  If indeed something serious occurs 100 years from now, the population can deal with it then.  There always has and always will be changes going on and we probably can't stop it.  Certainly all the crap about carbon taxes, etc. is just another way to collect taxes.  What we do in the local community has no relevance on the global picture.  China, India, and other countries coming of age will negate anything we do.  So I will continue to drive my big SUV and not worry about it.  Nothing is going to stop anything from happening anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Global warming is also not debatable, only those who don't believe in science do so.

In that case, I won't waste my time attempting to persuade you otherwise, O Learned One. Go with the flow and see where you end up.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I find it quite worrying that nearly half of the people around the world view the US as a major threat, numbers which have skyrocketed in the last two years, from 8 to 50%. Since Mr. Trump has taken power, what was almost a non issue, is one of the greatest concerns. To my mind, it means that Mr. Trump is giving an exceptionally poor performance, not assisted by his deceitful and manipulative means, or his fundamental character which so, so many see as fatally flawed. We all make mistakes, but I pray America doesn't repeat its huge one, in the elections next year, and the world can start to move forward again.

As for the climate, it should be our top priority, denial of which is at least partially to blame for the concern so many have with administrations who choose to ignore it.

You are a perfect example of why rumors exist. There is nothing that states nearly 1/2 the people around the world view the US as a major threat in the moronic poll taken by some people in just 26 countries above. Please read it again! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Global warming is also not debatable, only those who don't believe in science do so.

Ha ha, good ol' Science is trotted out to shut us up!  Of COURSE men and women in white lab coats know more than us schmucks wandering around in jeans and flip-flops.

Just btw, there was a time, about 900 years ago, all over Europe, when people believed in priests selling old bones as relics of Christ.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

But the US has been in almost perpetual war ever since the end of WW2....and all of these are wars of choice, thousands of miles from home in countries that represent no threat at all to the US. I am really concerned about the US starting illegal and unnecessary wars because war is the greatest evil.

War is not the greatest evil, six million Jewish people in Europe agree with me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, farcanell said:

Correct... the USA did not start two massive world wars, but then, neither did almost every other country on the planet.

and correct, the US did help clean up, along with a large number of other countries.... they (USA) just turned up much much later than everyone else..... after being attacked.... so turning up to “clean up” was not from some place of good intent, but as a factor of self preservation.

There is one thing I really like about your replies, they are consistent. I will not describe the manner in which they are consistent dur to forum rules.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Placing the blame on rising CO2 levels, and the government investing in renewable energy sources to reduce CO2 emissions in order to create the impression they are at least doing something to reduce the risk of future extreme weather events, allows the destroyed dwellings to be rebuilt along the same lines, whilst creating the delusion that the next flood or hurricane will not be as extreme.

Small quote given the length of the original.

Well said, and you point out the things that could actually be done to mitigate climate change, which is inevitable and ( despite the lies of the politicians ) unable to be stopped/ reversed/ whatever.

Unfortunately, our lords and masters only wish to see more and more people building lots of houses so they can make lots and lots of money via rates etc. This is why they continue to allow building in flood and fire zones. They will probably never bring in good regulations as it would make building houses more expensive and put off the mass building that is taking place. However, I'm sure the great ones ( in their opinions ) don't live anywhere near disaster zones.

• Like 1