UPDATE: An ‘engine malfunction’ blamed for boat collision off Phuket

webfact

UPDATE: An ‘engine malfunction’ blamed for boat collision off Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

185006.jpg

A number of Chinese tourists and boat crew were injured as a result of their speed boat hitting a small oil tanker off the east coast of Phuket on Saturday afternoon. At this stage the investigation reveals that the speedboat’s engine ‘malfunctioned’. (Is that like ‘brake failure’?)

The oil tanker’s captain says that he had stopped the tanker to help refuel a waiting yacht. While they were preparing to untether from the yacht, the speedboat hit the tanker.

An updated report states that the speedboat was carrying 11 Chinese tourists (5 male, 6 female) with one boat captain and one crew.  All 13 passengers sustained injuries, one more serious than the others.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/update-an-engine-malfunction-blamed-for-boat-collision-off-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-11

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

At this stage the investigation reveals that the speedboat’s engine ‘malfunctioned’. (Is that like ‘brake failure’?)

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Not stupid these people, are they. Adapting the story to make it sound (almost) credible.

Surprised one of the tourists didn't have a 'wardrobe malfunction' and her dress fell off, thereby 'distracting' the speedboat captain.

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
26 minutes ago, webfact said:

An ‘engine malfunction’ blamed for boat collision

Yes, they can't blame the brakes

Singularly unable to ever admit that they have made a mistake. Brakes, engine, steering problems, but never the person in control. And even more sad, is that the authorities will try to keep it quiet, so no real penalties ever get issued, so we can expect another drama and tragedy along shortly. And then some more.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

(Is that like ‘brake failure’?)

no it's actually brain failure

when are these people going to "man" up and admit the obvious, blame everyone and everything else - after a few hefty fines they might suddenly become enlightened that they are paying the fines and not the Engine - Brakes - Rain or whatever other daft excuse they dream up 

It is all about lying, to avoid losing Face, which is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

A simple way to fix the issue (which will never happen) is to impound the vessel for technical inspection by competent marine surveyors, and while the inspection is underway ban all similar vessels from carrying passengers until the all clear is given. This could also be used for the brake failure issues.

Do this once or twice and there will be a sudden change in maintenance and the offending captains may find trouble finding work. They might also find they have very few friends.

4 hours ago, LeungKen said:

If anyone else mentions brake failure in a boating accident post again, thinking it is funny will be removed.

Off topic post removed

Um..... brake failure is mentioned in the OP.... is commenting on the OP not allowed? I’m Confused.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Is that like ‘brake failure’?

What was wrong with the steering wheel? Why didn't one of the boat guys shut off the fuel supply? How about raising the outboard so it's above the waterline? Or maybe putting the transmission into neutral?

There are other ways of slowing down than plowing into an oil tanker!

You all appear to be accepting that the captain and crew were looking forward and not down at their phone. Its not the boat that should be investigated its the phones as we see this every day in Thailand. Thai logic says if you can drive a car/mbike whilst on the phone you can steer a boat as there is no other traffic also add the fact that there is generally no forward thinking involved. Cause and effect is not a strong point in Thai logic or education ????

Ken.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

no it's actually brain failure

when are these people going to "man" up and admit the obvious, blame everyone and everything else - after a few hefty fines they might suddenly become enlightened that they are paying the fines and not the Engine - Brakes - Rain or whatever other daft excuse they dream up 

Have you ever, ever heard a Thai admit they were wrong? They can't because they have been brainwashed from birth to believe they are perfect. The clash between that and reality must make their head spin round and round.

It was a twin outboard vessel.

It would be more sensible to claim the steering cable broke, but that could be easily disproven. 

Failing to keep a proper outlook is the only thing that makes any sense.

I now note the other vessel was stationary while refueling a yacht. He should have been passing well clear of them so any malfunction wouldn't cause a collision.

I am traveling to Phuket beginning of march for some diving and time with my lady friend..after reading almost daily reports of injuries or death in Phuket I am thinking that 

1. When I am with my friend I will refuse to travel anywhere on a motorbike..cars may not be much better but stand a chance of not getting seriously injured or killed. The xtra USD for taxis will be cheap compared to repatriating my dead body back to the states.

2. stay off the roads after dark...

3. I am probably safer in the water diving than on land...at least I hope so....LOL

15 hours ago, webfact said:

(Is that like ‘brake failure’?)

Hey!!!!  I was going to say that....

"Engine malfunction" is now the Thai maritime equivalent of land-borne "brake failure."

I wonder if there are going to be any Chinese left to head back to the home country after all of them are finished with their various Thai escapades?  A lot of full hospital beds, and empty plane seats?

Archived