Disgruntled

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Then get a job here, if you can't [because your skills are neither required or valued] then go somewhere else and stop bitching that you cant get a visa here.

Any young western expat coming to Thailand to find a job would have less than lofty goals in life. ????  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I know I'm missing something obvious, but why do married people, potentially with children, need less money than single people? 

Seems like the married folks would need more money.

#Still gruntled

err married people have 2 incomes or the potential to have if times get hard maybe?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dutch, German and Scandinavian countries (dont know all others but the ones who did checks b4). But they did checks before not the swearing without checks. Its all about that the swearing without proof is just not credible anymore.  

the UK required proof of income, no swearing allowed ????

You might not think you are complaining, but that's how your posts come across.
Yes you are right.
Actually i am complaining about grumpy entitled retirees that mismanaged their own life's and can't even put 800k in a bank account blaming the youth for the misery while spamming the immigration section here since weeks.

Seems to be the boomer generation in general that blames the youth for everything after they have <deleted> it up themselves.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dutch, German and Scandinavian countries (dont know all others but the ones who did checks b4). But they did checks before not the swearing without checks. Its all about that the swearing without proof is just not credible anymore.  

I'm surprised the American Consulate gave up their cash cow (income verification letters).  They must not have clerks intelligent enough to read US pension letters along with bank statements where the pensions are being deposited or maybe these people are just lazy.  What say you consulate clerks?  Good for the Dutch, German, and Scandinavian consulates for looking out for their citizens.

Edited by CMNightRider

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes you are right.
Actually i am complaining about grumpy entitled retirees that mismanaged their own life's and can't even put 800k in a bank account blaming the youth for the misery while spamming the immigration section here since weeks.

Seems to be the boomer generation in general that blames the youth for everything after they have <deleted> it up themselves.

Not an issue for me.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes you are right.

Amen. 

The forum is spammed with old people crying 27 times a day about retirement extensions that  only changed barely enough. 

What would happen if the retirement extensions actually followed the rate of inflation? The extensions would have to be at least 1.2mil these days in the bank account.

It is very obvious that Thai immigration is doing a favour to retirees and taking into consideration a very strong baht.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

People here who complain about the corruption need a reality check.

The only reason you are in Thailand is because of corruption.

If corruption was any lower, the country wouldn't want your petty 800k in the bank

They don't want the 800K in the bank, really - though will accept it - but much prefer and agent-envelope, instead. 

And even if that were not the case, why would Thailand not want foreigners spending foreign-sourced capital into their country - employing their citizens?  Why would "corruption" be necessary or helpful in that regard?

and a lot of women you decided to "date" or "marry" simply wouldn't be available to you.

What does that have to do with "corruption"??  Do you mean women in Thailand seek reliable providers and higher-status (giving their offspring better opportunities) - unlike all other women on the planet (and female primates, in general)? 

Or is the apparent resentment because they are kind and appreciative of someone taking a traditional "support the family" role - unlike Western women, who are taught from pre-school in the West to resent it - leading them to significantly lower life-satisfaction than traditional women - leading to more bitterness and resentment, etc?

Currently Thailand is the world leader in unscrupulous corruption and Western amenities. There is no other place like it on the planet.

So, once again..... let's get real.

Corruption is a problem, but it's not the "world leader" by a stretch:

http://www.traceinternational.org/blog/283

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes you are right.

Well said and I'm a boomer.

5 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I'm surprised the American Consulate gave up their cash cow (income verification letters).  They must not have clerks intelligent enough to read US pensions letters along with bank statements where the pensions are being deposited or maybe these people are just lazy.  What say you consulate clerks?  Good for the Dutch, German, and Scandinavian consulates for looking out for their citizens.

I don't understand they did not change their ways, its a good cash cow. People quote privacy as a problem. But people could waiver those rights and I am sure the tax office has all details about income of people. That is how they verify at the Dutch embassy using the tax office. 

I understand the views of the Thais, just swearing and no proof is just not sufficient. People say its a crime to swear to something untrue, but they never check if its untrue so basically the law is a paper tiger.

Yes you are right.

21 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

err married people have 2 incomes or the potential to have if times get hard maybe?

I considered this "reason", but it just doesn't make sense.

BTW, my question is serious. I'm sure there's a good reason but I haven't figured it out yet.

So many of the retirees complaining are out of touch with reality. It's sad, because they just don't get it. Totally lost and  rooted in a different era.  The Thais made a business decision and wish to get rid of the low end of the foreign demographic. That's all it is. Nothing sinister.

As a frequent flyer, I read a forum dedicated to travelers and frequent flyers.  I noticed  this post today;

I booked a trip to Trisara in the seven-bedroom Villa No. 5 because the views look terrific. There is only two of us going on this trip, but I like the option to have more bedrooms so others can join. However, everyone keeps saying that we should go to the Amanpuri. I do have a few concerns: 1) The views aren't as good and 2) Trisara is $5,330 a night, whereas Amanpuri is significantly more unless we get the two-bedroom ocean view villa for $5,200 a night................................... 

My take away is that on a 10 day trip this  guy is going to spend US $53,000, on just his lodging. Compare this to the people  who can't meet the  800,000 baht (approx. US$23,000) deposit requirement. Thailand is looking for the aforementioned  big spender, not the guy of limited financial means.

If Thailand was a restaurant it would be  like transitioning from fast cheap food like KFC to a more of a middle market typ e of operation like a Wine Connection.  The writing is on the wall for the poor people and the smart ones should be planning to leave now, instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• Haha 1

I appreciate your report, as it is similar to my experience (though I was ultimately not successful).  It helps to know you are "not alone" when treated this way.

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I totally blame Prayuth, and the biggest joke. Immigration has gotten worse under their tutelage and their arrogance, and their insufferable xenophobia knows no bounds. This whole thing leaves a bitter, sour, nasty, foul taste in one's mouth, and the stench can be smelled for kilometers. It also leaves a rather bad feeling toward our hosts. They could be doing so much better. In my opinion alot of us bring alot to the table here. Thailand is moving backwards on so many levels, I do not even know where to begin. 

The people who are the problem were making things worse well before Prayuth and co.  There are bureaucratic functionaries - within the RTP, Amphoes, etc - who seem to hate farangs - see us only as targets for extortion - and have worked their way into power. 

RTP and the Military are competing factions of power, to an extent.  The military has shut down RTP scams in the past.  Therefore, it would seem that the military - or rather, leaders within it who have a long-view to Thailand's future - are our only hope against the corrupt-faction within immigration. 

A band of corrupt little-men within immigration care nothing for their country, and seek only "quick-money now" from short-sighted pocket-lining schemes, which undermine the country's future prospects.  Let us hope some with power who actually care about the country (likely part of the Military) will put a stop to their foolishness.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Immigration only has the "hots" as you put it for the people who are getting their extensions through the back door, rather than the legitimate route. In doing so they are inevitably treading on the toes of those who are doing so legally. It is the dishonest expats who don't have the funds available and use corrupt agents who are totally to blame for new, tighter rules. Nobody else.

yes, but don't totally absolve the UK embassy at least, of being a spineless. useless. waste of space and taxpayers money. 

Yes you are right.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Amen. 

The forum is spammed with old people crying 27 times a day about retirement extensions that  only changed barely enough. 

What would happen if the retirement extensions actually followed the rate of inflation? The extensions would have to be at least 1.2mil these days in the bank account.

It is very obvious that Thai immigration is doing a favour to retirees and taking into consideration a very strong baht.

Thai Immigration isn't doing any favors for western expats no matter what age they are and never will.  I see by your comments, you seem to harbor a dislike for senior citizens (old people).  This may come as a shock to you but before you know it you will be old some day. ????  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

My take away is that on a 10 day trip this  guy is going to spend US $53,000, on just his lodging. Compare this to the people  who can't meet the  800,000 baht (approx. US$23,000) deposit requirement. Thailand is looking for the aforementioned  big spender, not the guy of limited financial means.

If Thailand was a restaurant it would be  like transitioning from fast cheap food like KFC to a more of a middle market typ e of operation like a Wine Connection.  The writing is on the wall for the poor people and the smart ones should be planning to leave now, instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

So, throw away 100 dollars from the many spending less-each, and instead keep only the 2 dollars from the few rich spending more-each.  Is that the plan?

Why not open 2 restaurant chains - one making big-money from the 99%, and the other making less-total but high profit-margins from the 1%.

And, of course, why the huge focus on "package-tour" tourists, who spend almost nothing, each - could even be a net-negative, given the infrastructure stress, driving away bigger-spending due to the overcrowding they cause, and having to forgo even the VOA fee, just to make the trip affordable to them?

Edited by JackThompson

10 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

So many of the retirees complaining are out of touch with reality. It's sad, because they just don't get it. Totally lost and  rooted in a different era.  The Thais made a business decision and wish to get rid of the low end of the foreign demographic. That's all it is. Nothing sinister.

As a frequent flyer, I read a forum dedicated to travelers and frequent flyers.  I noticed  this post today;

I booked a trip to Trisara in the seven-bedroom Villa No. 5 because the views look terrific. There is only two of us going on this trip, but I like the option to have more bedrooms so others can join. However, everyone keeps saying that we should go to the Amanpuri. I do have a few concerns: 1) The views aren't as good and 2) Trisara is $5,330 a night, whereas Amanpuri is significantly more unless we get the two-bedroom ocean view villa for $5,200 a night................................... 

Service attitude, training of staff, language skills, quality of offering all need to improve drastically before Thailand attracts anything more than disgruntled budget travelers.

Just paid 120 baht at provincial mid range hotel for Pud Seoeow Talay featuring a single lonely prawn.

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I considered this "reason", but it just doesn't make sense.

BTW, my question is serious. I'm sure there's a good reason but I haven't figured it out yet.

It is more likely they see a married couple as both being within the working age bracket.

A retiree obviously seen as being older and having income/pension/pensions.

Younger worker maybe covered by medical insurance from work etc, retiree requiring a few hundred thousand more in the bank to cover medicals etc.