Disgruntled

4 hours ago, Gary7616 said:

Why does immigration have the hots for retired people here in Thailand? Surely the ones causing the most trouble are the young ones, the ones who are running these so called romance scams. These are the ones working illegally while on student visas. Maybe its time to have them show they are able to support themselves by showing money in their account? Leave us old ones alone please.

One reason is that Immigration is very aware that many retirees (and Thaivisa members) have abused the income/financial system precisely because they could never meet it's requirements.

Just now, robblok said:

Then why did the UK stop doing this as they seemed to check the evidence.

Off the top of my head, they were simply reviewing the paperwork supplied and ensuring it reached the qualifying income and certifying that. They may have had it suggested that they should truly verify the income, which they are unable to do. 

28 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

So you do not know any teachers, IT/web people, self employed etc?

Or are you just talking about young western expats who do not want to pay taxes?

I'm referring to people who are willing to work for peanuts just to stay in Thailand.  When a person is young, it is best to educate yourself in a field of interest to you, and then work where you will be paid an acceptable wage with insurance and retirement.  

If you are someone who has figured out how to make a lot of money in Thailand, then good for you.  Most expats who end up working as a teacher, IT/web in places like Thailand, tend not to have lofty long term goals.  This doesn't make them bad or stupid. 

If I were a teacher and wanted to live in foreign countries, I would look at teaching for DOD or a foreign firm that pays well. ???? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I feel sorry for a child who is struck by a car.

I do not feel sorry for an adult who made his own life choices..

I guess on your hypothetical they can sell one of their cars or house and rent if they are so poor they cannot afford the new changes..

Have you ever surved in the military or had adversity in your life?

You know, adapt to change like a mature adult.

All of this is so minor on the big scheme of things. 

Grow up, be a man or woman, adapt to change and be an adult.

In the long run it may make you a stronger person.

Well all I can say is that I hope most sincerely that you have made sufficient provision for what will be required in 10 years time, because according to you, we should all be clairvoyant so know what is coming ????

And yes I served in the Army, for many years and spent a lot of time in NI and lost friends their so shut your BS on that one if you don't mind pal.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

One reason is that Immigration is very aware that many retirees (and Thaivisa members) have abused the income/financial system precisely because they could never meet it's requirements.

You KNOW that many Thaivisa members are dodgy..?  ????

32 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I suspect that you have some narrow views and you seem to be a tad angry

I had a regional head office, for the UK software company that I worked for, in Singapore and I set up a subsidiary office in Bangkok. No problems. Lots of very good IT people. Great on the technical but lacking on the 'business' experience.

There is nothing difficult in resolving the issue of Thai nominees. My current business has one and I am hoping to give her the business when I retire (again).

I have happily lived here for 19 years with no issues on either visas or work permits. Just follow the rules.

As far as I am aware, the 800,000 baht in the bank for retirees has always been the case. It is just that some people 'flex' the rules a bit. The law has not changed. It is the application of the law that has changed.

Angry about people blaming everything here on the young ones, maybe indeed. as already said.

Angry about the visa situation? Nope, i am good with the one i have.

What you say is of course entirely possible, also for retired people.

But getting a WP if you don't have to work anymore just for the sake of it is or even just marriing a girl to get a marriage visa just to be able to stay here isn't correct.

The op was complaining how hard it is for retirees because the young ones have ruined it and that's just laughable - it was 4 embassies that decided that income letters are  no longer possible with them.

The retirement visa is the easiest to get and everyone over 50 that can use it should be happy it exists, the only thing that is as hassle free for the young ones is as already said the elite visa which comes at a price.

It's just so typical of the older generation these days to blame everything on the youth and then they feel offended if you bite back - that's just double standards.

People here opened a thread just for the purpose of blaming it on the youth and then they are surprised that people get pissed...hilarious.