The bad and the good side of Thais: Japanese tourist in the wars

webfact

The bad and the good side of Thais: Japanese tourist in the wars

1pm.jpg

A Facebook post about a terrible Bangkok taxi driver had a happy ending after a Japanese tourist finally got to her destination. 

The tourist had wanted to go from Asoke to Sukhumvit Soi 99 on Saturday - a journey of less than ten kilometers. 

Instead, as Sanook reported, the taxi driver took her on a "world tour" before finally dumping her on the other side of the river in Samut Sakhon around thirty kilometers away. 

Athichon Chacham found the bewildered tourist outside his place in the Orm Noi housing estate. Thankfully there was an app to translate languages and he discovered the lady's problem. 

He made her an omelet over rice then ensured that she got in a vehicle - this time in the right direction for her destination. 

The event was told on the Facebook page of Athichon who said it only took one bad incident like this to tarnish the image of Thailand. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-11

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

the taxi driver took her on a "world tour" before finally dumping her on the other side of the river in Samut Sakhon around thirty kilometers away.

There are no bad taxi drivers.

Thai roads are paved with gold - how else could you explain the thousands of Baht and other valuables constantly appearing in the back of taxis?

Oh, God. Was just on Saturday I got a taxi at about midnight in Asoke. I told the driver where I wanted to go and which route to take and he agreed. Me and the missus got in and he absolutely floored it in the wrong direction. I told him to follow my directions and slow down but he didn't. I told him to stop, so he stopped and got out to confront me. I got out and he suddenly realised I was much bigger so he backed down. It was on a quiet road but another taxi driver stopped and asked my taxi driver if he was okay. Then a guy on his motorbike with his missus stopped and did the same. There I was with three locals somewhat confronting me. Missus told me we should go as she felt they were waiting for more people so they could attack me. Even though there was three of them they were still waiting for more. We just walked off. 

Areas like Sukhumvit where there are lots of foreigners often are terrible places to get a taxi. This is why a professional service in the same mold as Grab and Uber, etc, is badly needed. I'd quite happily pay extra for that piece of mind. And I know there are many locals who feel the same. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I told him to stop, so he stopped and got out to confront me. I got out and he suddenly realised I was much bigger so he backed down. It was on a quiet road but another taxi driver stopped and asked my taxi driver if he was okay. Then a guy on his motorbike with his missus stopped and did the same. There I was with three locals somewhat confronting me. Missus told me we should go as she felt they were waiting for more people so they could attack me. Even though there was three of them they were still waiting for more.

Typical Thai male behaviour against foreigners. 

I've never had a problem with cabs in Bangkok. Speaking Thai obviously helps.

However,Sukhumvit rd is we'll known for its hustlers of all kinds.

Who can forget the American Caterpillar executive  who bad mouthed a cab on Sukhumvit rd and slammed the door shut. The driver went beserk, got out with a sword chased the yank down the street and chopped him up like sushi.Killed him in front of horrified shoppers and tourists.

I think he posted bail for 10k.

Might be wrong.

Does anyone know what happened to that lunatic.Happened a few years back.

9 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Who can forget the American Caterpillar executive  who bad mouthed a cab on Sukhumvit rd and slammed the door shut. The driver went beserk, got out with a sword chased the yank down the street and chopped him up like sushi.Killed him in front of horrified shoppers and tourists.

Might be wrong.

He is in charge of the Bangkok Transportation Office.

Taxi drivers are the worst ( including the ones on the bikes ) Not only at driving badly ( just this  morning one of them nearly crashed into my scooter, they don’t keep any distance and they don’t want to stop, do they ?! ) I regret generalising but they’re all made out of the same mold, whether they’re a chatter box, endangering the public, violent and dishonest, perhaps only a very few of them are honest ( when they actually sleep ) I really do feel sorry for the Japanese people since they don’t seem aware of these scumbags not that they have any knowledge of such beings in Japan until they come here and for the tourists in general coming here risking their life on holiday for that matter.

This is clearly a dangerous place no matter which way you look at it and if you try to rebel or defend yourself, they’re all after you ! The entire flock of sheeps and monkey !!! Sadly, we are on our own in arm’s way ????

My recent taxi trips

Home to Asoke

Mixx to home (night)

On Nut to Seacon Square

Seacon Square to Punnawithi BTS

Nana to Home, night (guy wanted 300, I said meter, he said 250, I said 150, sold, it meters out at 175)

Home to Wat Arun

No problems to report.  And I dont speak Thai.

Nice of the dude to make the tourist an omelette, Im sure that made her feel better.

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Areas like Sukhumvit where there are lots of foreigners often are terrible places to get a taxi. This is why a professional service in the same mold as Grab and Uber, etc, is badly needed. I'd quite happily pay extra for that piece of mind. And I know there are many locals who feel the same. 

Er......Grab exists.  It's been here for years.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, webfact said:

Instead, as Sanook reported, the taxi driver took her on a "world tour" before finally dumping her on the other side of the river in Samut Sakhon around thirty kilometers away. 

Athichon Chacham found the bewildered tourist outside his place in the Orm Noi housing estate. Thankfully there was an app to translate languages and he discovered the lady's problem. 

He made her an omelet over rice then ensured that she got in a vehicle - this time in the right direction for her destination. 

Phew, all is well then! - A rogue Bangkok taxi driver takes a tourist for a ride, fleecing her for the extra-long ride, dumping and abandoning her in another town, (possibly) scaring her, and wasting her precious holiday time, but in Thai people's opinion it is all solved by a stranger making her an omelet over rice...

On 2/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, rkidlad said:

Oh, God. Was just on Saturday I got a taxi at about midnight in Asoke. I told the driver where I wanted to go and which route to take and he agreed. Me and the missus got in and he absolutely floored it in the wrong direction. I told him to follow my directions and slow down but he didn't. I told him to stop, so he stopped and got out to confront me. I got out and he suddenly realised I was much bigger so he backed down. It was on a quiet road but another taxi driver stopped and asked my taxi driver if he was okay. Then a guy on his motorbike with his missus stopped and did the same. There I was with three locals somewhat confronting me. Missus told me we should go as she felt they were waiting for more people so they could attack me. Even though there was three of them they were still waiting for more. We just walked off. 

Maybe things like this are why the visa rules are so difficult now? Honestly, it is becoming just not worth it to spend money here. If not a bad driver what else is it - getting pulled out of your taxi at road blocks after an evening out? Not worth it anymore is a real theme these days

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy story. Why do so many here, take offense at a situation like this? You asked to get out of the taxi, and he wants to confront you. What is that all about? Why such low self esteem? Why can't so many of these guys just deal with it? A friend of mine was driving in the early morning the other day, and he gently passed a pickup truck, who was driving very slowly. Then the guy speeded up, and started tailgating him, within a foot of his car. This went on for miles. The guy pulled up along side him, and started yelling at him. He finally stopped at a taxi stand, explained that he had a crazy killer following him, and the taxi guys talked him down.

What was that all about? How does someone allow themselves to get so offended, at being passed on a road, when they are going very slow? How is that considered an offensive act? What kind of man does it take to engage in such aggression over nothing, but an incredibly minor perceived slight? Why don't these guys have any self esteem? Why such a lack of consciousness and respect? Fortunately, it is a small percentage that behave like this. But why? 

Yes most thais are okay but never forget when it is a thia vs farang in business or fighting or anything else its decidedly not in your favor.

• 8 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, spidermike007 said:

Crazy story. Why do so many here, take offense at a situation like this? You asked to get out of the taxi, and he wants to confront you. What is that all about? Why such low self esteem? Why can't so many of these guys just deal with it? A friend of mine was driving in the early morning the other day, and he gently passed a pickup truck, who was driving very slowly. Then the guy speeded up, and started tailgating him, within a foot of his car. This went on for miles. The guy pulled up along side him, and started yelling at him. He finally stopped at a taxi stand, explained that he had a crazy killer following him, and the taxi guys talked him down.

What was that all about? How does someone allow themselves to get so offended, at being passed on a road, when they are going very slow? How is that considered an offensive act? What kind of man does it take to engage in such aggression over nothing, but an incredibly minor perceived slight? Why don't these guys have any self esteem? Why such a lack of consciousness and respect? Fortunately, it is a small percentage that behave like this. But why? 

It's puzzling, at first, but when you understand the culture and its flaws and consider the way some of these *ahem* 'men' are raised, then I would say it becomes clearer and easier to comprehend. 

Too many Thai males are not raised by their parents, but instead by an extended familial unit, or more distant family members, very often it's the grandparents, either through inability or unwillingness of the parents to do the job properly (for a multitude of reasons) or because they are absent, often due to them working in another area of the country where more profitable employment can be obtained. There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with this situation, plenty raised in such circumstances will turn out normal and decent, but that is usually predicated on a strong and functional family unit. However, there are definitely many (males particularly) who don't receive proper discipline and are as a result sorely lacking in respect for others and/or able to differentiate between what is socially acceptable behaviour and what isn't. Being reared (often) by aging and obviously less energetic, or engaged family members as well as the tendency for dysfunctionality in such situations has to be responsible for a lot of the bad character traits we're discussing here, IMHO.

The lack of a male disciplinarian in the form of a father-figure is sorely missing from many of these young men's lives, this is something that can lead to a whole host of societal issues - as we have witnessed in the West with the state-sponsored breakdown of marriage and the two parent family. It is often exacerbated in Thailand by the mollycoddling of boys by an abundance of female family members and a lack of male family members, the inclination by many (something I have witnessed) is to give boys more leeway and if they act up, no to discipline them sufficiently - possibly a cultural phenomena more uniquely Asian - at least in modern times. As these boys get older and become more physically imposing and thus even less easy to control, the situation simply becomes worse and the poor behaviour more entrenched. This lack of respect stemming from an absence of discipline and perhaps too much attention/pampering as children leads to grown men with the most fragile of egos and a superiority complex - an awful combination. They aren't used to being told 'no' or not getting their own way. Combine that with an all too prevalent, xenophobic and nationalistic streak and of course the famous inability to take criticism or lose face (practically a Thai cottage industry) and the results are predictably woeful, especially with incidents involving foreigners. I will say now that I've never had a big problem with Thai taxi drivers, I'm a resonably young and athletic man and can speak Thai pretty well - I always try to be affable, but I am also firm if I feel that I am being taken for a ride. Probably largely due to these aforementioned factors, I have been lucky not to experience too many issues in the 10 years I've been here.

I have many friends and acquaintances (especially those who don't speak Thai) who have not been so lucky.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, webfact said:

The event was told on the Facebook page of Athichon who said it only took one bad incident like this to tarnish the image of Thailand. 

There are eight million stories in the naked city. This has been one of them.

3 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

It's puzzling, at first, but when you understand the culture and its flaws and consider the way some of these *ahem* 'men' are raised, then I would say it becomes clearer and easier to comprehend. 

Too many Thai males are not raised by their parents, but instead by an extended familial unit, or more distant family members, very often it's the grandparents, either through inability or unwillingness of the parents to do the job properly (for a multitude of reasons) or because they are absent, often due to them working in another area of the country where more profitable employment can be obtained. There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with this situation, plenty raised in such circumstances will turn out normal and decent, but that is usually predicated on a strong and functional family unit. However, there are definitely many (males particularly) who don't receive proper discipline and are as a result sorely lacking in respect for others and/or able to differentiate between what is socially acceptable behaviour and what isn't. Being reared (often) by aging and obviously less energetic, or engaged family members as well as the tendency for dysfunctionality in such situations has to be responsible for a lot of the bad character traits we're discussing here, IMHO.

The lack of a male disciplinarian in the form of a father-figure is sorely missing from many of these young men's lives, this is something that can lead to a whole host of societal issues - as we have witnessed in the West with the state-sponsored breakdown of marriage and the two parent family. It is often exacerbated in Thailand by the mollycoddling of boys by an abundance of female family members and a lack of male family members, the inclination by many (something I have witnessed) is to give boys more leeway and if they act up, no to discipline them sufficiently - possibly a cultural phenomena more uniquely Asian - at least in modern times. As these boys get older and become more physically imposing and thus even less easy to control, the situation simply becomes worse and the poor behaviour more entrenched. This lack of respect stemming from an absence of discipline and perhaps too much attention/pampering as children leads to grown men with the most fragile of egos and a superiority complex - an awful combination. They aren't used to being told 'no' or not getting their own way. Combine that with an all too prevalent, xenophobic and nationalistic streak and of course the famous inability to take criticism or lose face (practically a Thai cottage industry) and the results are predictably woeful, especially with incidents involving foreigners. I will say now that I've never had a big problem with Thai taxi drivers, I'm a resonably young and athletic man and can speak Thai pretty well - I always try to be affable, but I am also firm if I feel that I am being taken for a ride. Probably largely due to these aforementioned factors, I have been lucky not to experience too many issues in the 10 years I've been here.

I have many friends and acquaintances (especially those who don't speak Thai) who have not been so lucky.

The most fragile of egos combined with a superiority complex, is the ultimate definition of an empty suit. I used to live in NY. Many there had attitudes. But, they had a lot to back up the attitude. I do not mind someone with a minor sense of attitude or even a little bit of arrogance, if they have the substance to back it up. Without that substance, we are dealing with a ghost. A child. A 13 year old, who looks like a man. And face is the most ridiculous quality within Asia. How do I really feel about face?

Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. And it is the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which is about looking within for the source of the problem, introspection, and contemplation. Where does face get lost in that mix? 

If you confront a Thai, they will often engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, or own the problems they have caused, on any level. 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, Ramdas said:

Taxi drivers are the worst ( including the ones on the bikes ) Not only at driving badly ( just this  morning one of them nearly crashed into my scooter, they don’t keep any distance and they don’t want to stop, do they ?! ) I regret generalising but they’re all made out of the same mold, whether they’re a chatter box, endangering the public, violent and dishonest, perhaps only a very few of them are honest ( when they actually sleep ) I really do feel sorry for the Japanese people since they don’t seem aware of these scumbags not that they have any knowledge of such beings in Japan until they come here and for the tourists in general coming here risking their life on holiday for that matter.

This is clearly a dangerous place no matter which way you look at it and if you try to rebel or defend yourself, they’re all after you ! The entire flock of sheeps and monkey !!! Sadly, we are on our own in arm’s way ????

Silly exaggeration. Usually communication difficulties are caused by farang 'telling' people what to do. Shouting at drivers,  swearing in english, calling the drivers crazy etc. Bangkok taxis are pretty good. Long hours, hard work, low pay and have to deal with ill mannered foreigners. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The most fragile of egos combined with a superiority complex, is the ultimate definition of an empty suit. I used to live in NY. Many there had attitudes. But, they had a lot to back up the attitude. I do not mind someone with a minor sense of attitude or even a little bit of arrogance, if they have the substance to back it up. Without that substance, we are dealing with a ghost. A child. A 13 year old, who looks like a man. And face is the most ridiculous quality within Asia. How do I really feel about face?

Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. And it is the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which is about looking within for the source of the problem, introspection, and contemplation. Where does face get lost in that mix? 

If you confront a Thai, they will often engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, or own the problems they have caused, on any level. 

Racist bigotry from the usual suspects who want small yellow people to show deference to them, to fear them  to obey them. Vietnam, somalia, Afghanistan.

...and even in Thailand Americans think they have racial and cultural superiority and moan when they dont get their own way.

Are grab and uber drivers more proffessional ? In most other cities around the world , all you need to be an Uber or grab driver is to have a reasonable car . There are more dodgy ubers than cab drivers . they don't need to display a photo and licence number in the car . They probably haven't driven as much as cabbies and therefore will rely on GPS to get around or take you the wrong way ( except the ones that are ex taxi drivers ) .

On 2/10/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lucius verus said:

Might be wrong.

He got an honorary job within the current administration, in the justice department.

Archived