Chinese boy dies after slipping from pool ledge on fifth floor of Kamala hotel

webfact

Chinese boy dies after slipping from pool ledge on fifth floor of Kamala hotel

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__4063306-1.jpg

A Chinese boy has died after slipping from a pool ledge on the fifth floor at a hotel in Kamala last night. The boy fell five floors and hit the ground.

Kamala Police were notified that the body of the boy had arrived at Patong Hospital at 8.50pm last night.

Police arrived to confirm the death of a nine year old boy, Chen Huanli.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/chinese-boy-dies-after-slipping-from-pool-ledge-on-fifth-floor-of-kamala-hotel

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-11

I'm suspecting the 40cm barrier is at the deep end with no steps or ladder.  One can rest ones arms on the edge of the pool and look through the glass at the view?

The kid walked around the edge of the pool from the shallow end and onto the narrow bit with the glass barrier. Rightly so his father told him not to but he didn't listen. OR used the glass as a hand hold and climbed out onto the ledge behind the glass then slipped and pivoted over the glass.

50 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm suspecting the 40cm barrier is at the deep end with no steps or ladder.  One can rest ones arms on the edge of the pool and look through the glass at the view?

The kid walked around the edge of the pool from the shallow end and onto the narrow bit with the glass barrier. Rightly so his father told him not to but he didn't listen. OR used the glass as a hand hold and climbed out onto the ledge behind the glass then slipped and pivoted over the glass.

Wow- you can solve this all the way from the depths of Bangkok- fascinating and thank you.

Any chance I can borrow your crystal ball when its Lottery time?

So now it's 80 cm wall according to our other Phuket news source.

“The pool area has a glass wall that is 80 centimetres tall around its perimeter. However, the boy climbed up onto the box covering the pool pump to jump into the pool,” Kamala Police Chief Somkid Boonrat explained to The Phuket News this morning.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-boy-9-dies-after-fall-from-rooftop-pool-70345.php#HepQHJFag53lBwaK.99

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Wow- you can solve this all the way from the depths of Bangkok- fascinating and thank you.

Any chance I can borrow your crystal ball when its Lottery time?

Even better I'm using my crystal ball from Indonesia.

I was trying to head off all the Righteous Richards who would decry the safety standards in Indonesia. Bit it seems because he was Chinese they don't care?

The Phuket News has the facts.  After all it was in Phuket.  The kids were diving/jumping in from the box covering the pump.  There was nothing stopping the kids from climbing on top and there should be.

The hotel is built on a hill and the pool is on the 5th floor going downhill.  Parental supervision also comes to mind.

Hotels usually have rules displayed and more often than not, it will say that children have to be supervised.

I go to this resort often, I was there on the day. My parents live in the block and have been inside that particular apartment. Thepool is more like a Jacuzzi plunge pool and not open to the public, it is on a private veranda attached to an apartment. 80cm glass walls surround the entire veranda. The box is a pool cover and the child had climbed on top of it, to jump into the pool, which is dangerous as the pool is only a Jacuzzi and not deep enough. Parents should  always supervise children around swimming pools and high balconies, the child could have placed a chair near the wall and had the same result. There were so many people staying in the apartment, surely one adult could have been appointed to watch the children. Children do silly things in play, without realising the dangers. That's what parents are for.

Archived