should i remove fish nets on coral?

yogavnture

as a snorkeler. I see alot of fish nets stuck on the corals.  I wonder if its best for me to leave it for a diver to come along with a knive and bag or me to remove it by hand and just throw the fish net in the sea to be just stuck on another coral.  so sad to see the fish nets damaging  the sea. sometimes when I pull the net off some of the corals break off cause i dont have a knive which i dont want to carry when snorkeling

Just now, metempsychotic said:

You really need advice on this? 

Why bother removing it if you are just going to leave it in the ocean? 

The question is akin asking "if I find a beer bottle on the beach should I throw it into the sea or pick it up and dispose of it properly?" 

no the point is that the netting or bag is suffocating the coral.  my logic is to try to save the coral by releasing it from the bag or net.  god its hard posting here with all the negativity

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

no the point is that the netting or bag is suffocating the coral.  my logic is to try to save the coral by releasing it from the bag or net.  god its hard posting here with all the negativity

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

You did not mention a bag or suffocation in your post, only a net which you intended to leave in the sea. And if you were to go to the trouble of removing it, why would you not carry it to shore and dispose of it properly. 

I was not aware common sense is negative. 

Perhaps if you had actually said what you meant your post would make sense. 

I snorkel deep and in remote areas.  divers do come by from time to time. its hard to just leave the pretty corals knowing the net or bag is suffocating the coral.  my logic is that maybe the bag or net after I throw it off might just drift to shore. i might be the only one going by this coral for a long time. its either me saving it or nobody I feel.

11 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

sometimes when I pull the net off some of the corals break off cause i dont have a knive which i dont want to carry when snorkeling

Well if I was concerned I would carry a knife and a bag to put nets and other rubbish in it.

6 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

No it is not negativity. Use common sense. If you want to make a contribution remove the foreign object from the coral. If it requires a knife to do it effectively, use a knife or leave it alone. Did you really need to be told to use common sense?

I would appreciate only constructive comments please. their must be others that see a bagor net suffocating a coral and want to save it. i want to do the best thing possible for the coral. its the fishes habitat.  my logic says that if I remove the net and or bag. and I throw It towardsshore. it might float until it gets to shore and not destroy more corals. I might start to carry a small knive when snorkeling.  which I have resisted as im doing more a free diving type of snorkeling and want to be stealthy

Just now, geriatrickid said:

No it is not negativity. Use common sense. If you want to make a contribution remove the foreign object from the coral. If it requires a knife to do it effectively, use a knife or leave it alone. Did you really need to be told to use common sense?

yes I do that.  yes I use common sense. im trying to help the sea not hurt it.  if I can remove a bag or net without damaging the coral It seems Im helping.  I DO MY  best to not hurt the coral if I feel I might break the coral I leave it alone.  this is a conversation to help not hurt

28 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

You should keep your unqualified hands of the coral as you are doing more damage than good.

45 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i dont have a knive which i dont want to carry when snorkeling

don't carry a knife. get a very small retractable razor blade cutting tool.    tool good. knife bad.

carry one medium size grocery plastic bag folded up to a small size and stashed in your swim trunks.  

full up and tie it to your trunks.  

I am sure you know don't touch anything in a national park.

curious where you snorkel?

i would free dive in Laguna Beach California. but that was when the Talking Heads were big.

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

You did not mention a bag or suffocation in your post, only a net which you intended to leave in the sea. And if you were to go to the trouble of removing it, why would you not carry it to shore and dispose of it properly. 

I was not aware common sense is negative. 

Perhaps if you had actually said what you meant your post would make sense. 

Fishing nets suffocate corals, so mentioning suffocation is redundant.

If you can remove, but don't leave it behind. I always remove and take it with me. That is presuming it is (relatively) recent, if embedded leave it alone. But of course with scuba that is a lot easier.

i believe im the only snorkeler going so deep . so its me to save the coral or nobody!.  so i do the best i can to release the coral from suffocation. and i take the bag to surface and heave it towards shore and hope it will drift onto shore without reattaching to the coral.  i know im a bad person for caring 

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

i believe im the only snorkeler going so deep . so its me to save the coral or nobody!.  so i do the best i can to release the coral from suffocation. and i take the bag to surface and heave it towards shore and hope it will drift onto shore without reattaching to the coral.  i know im a bad person for caring 

No you aren't bad for caring, but you are ignorant to assume hoping it floats to shore is of any help whatsoever. 

You asked for advice, you recieved it, and still you choose to disregard it in favour of your own faulty logic. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:58 PM, yogavnture said:
On 2/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well if I was concerned I would carry a knife and a bag to put nets and other rubbish in it.

too difficult to carry a knive and a bag. maybe I could carry a small knive.

A good friend in high school drowned when he got hung up in a line while snorkeling and didn't have a knife to cut himself loose.  

I'd suggest wearing the knife regardless of whether you choose to cut the nets.

Archived