Don't worry - there is no coup, Thai military reassures citizens

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, it's tomorrow.

i think you can pretty much gaurantee that there will be one at some point in the future. How many has it been since 1932? 11? With a few unsuccessful ones thrown in as well.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Unfortunately some speculators fail to realise that militaries around the world don't just sit on their backsides all the time. They do actually have to get out of camp to move to training areas. Never a dull moment for the tinfoil hat brigade though is there?

Also- they are not 'TANKS' they are BTR-3 Ukrainian designed Armoured Personnel Carriers. it makes sense for them to be on the road in that area as there are a number of military training areas around Lop Buri.

You seem to know far too much about this coup training and the vehicles involved. Please, tell us more.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Unfortunately some speculators fail to realise that militaries around the world don't just sit on their backsides all the time. They do actually have to get out of camp to move to training areas. Never a dull moment for the tinfoil hat brigade though is there?

Also- they are not 'TANKS' they are BTR-3 Ukrainian designed Armoured Personnel Carriers. it makes sense for them to be on the road in that area as there are a number of military training areas around Lop Buri.

When you are coming out of effectively martial law into elections - I would expect that the military would take care NOT to schedule things that could "be misunderstood" (assuming that is all that it is).  The fact is that the current military leadership has proven again and again that what it says is not worth the paper it is written on.  This by itself shows a lack of honour... and you cannot trust people that are not.

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Don't think so, his fraction is not in control of the army anymore. 

He has nobody to back him up.

Perceived coup. Fake section 44 dismissing all active military commanders. Meeting of military commanders. Juggle the sequencing and maybe the truth is somewhere there. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Okay, but you'll be sure to tell us before if there's a real one, right? 

Oh, don't worry. I am sure they have learned their lesson and will announce it at least one week in advance to allow citizens to prepare before they're once again attempting to "bring back happiness to the people".

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Unfortunately some speculators fail to realise that militaries around the world don't just sit on their backsides all the time. They do actually have to get out of camp to move to training areas.

I lived in downtown Washington DC for the last 22 years before coming to Thailand in 2011.  I had never seen any sort of military vehicle on the road - ever - until the day after 9/11.  Walking to work that day, I saw a vehicle parked on the corner of the intersection at Northwest 13th and K Street.  It had some sort of automatic, belt-fed machine gun mounted to the back, manned by a single soldier.  I stopped cold in my tracks, and all sorts of crazy thoughts went through my mind.  What's he looking for?  Can I cross the street?  Will he shoot me if I get too close?  This was so totally outside of my experience, I literally had no idea what to do.

In countries that don't use their military to suppress their own citizens, it's entirely possible that people might go their whole lives without seeing such things.

Archived