Advice on where to live in Chiang Mai?

robodelfy

Hi

I'm a 34 year old guy originally from the UK. I've been living in Thailand for about 3 years overall, but in 6 month stints, all near Chiang Rai where I spent a lot of time at a community. I developed a serious voice/throat disorder 3 years ago and life has been a real nightmare since. I've decided that I would like to spend as much time in Thailand as possible while I recover, for many reasons, food, massage, weather etc. All good for my throat, where as Brexit is not good for my recovery!! ????

I love Bangkok but dont think I'd want to live there. Chiang Rai is just too quiet and small, but I would like to be close enough to visit, which leaves Chiang Mai as the obvious choice. I just never really fell in love with Chiang Mai like many do. I always found it to be too full of traffic and tourists! That said, it has a lot going on that I'm interested in and the surrounding nature is beautiful. I like do do meditation retreats which there are plenty of.

Could anyone recommend some areas to live? Not including the old city in the middle. My main criteria would be

- reasonably priced, I am used to living basic and in non-farang areas

- nature or some quite? Is there anywhere near the centre that still feels peaceful?

- Close enough to buzz of the town but not too close. I would be happy riding my motorbike 15 mins or so to get to the centre

I always thought the northern side of the old city seemed more convenient to get to the malls for the cinema, and go out to doing step etc. But to be honest I dont know Chiang Mai at all well, so thats why I'm here

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

San Kamphaeng has rooms priced in the 3000 - 4000 baht/month range. Further out, some quiet roads. Mae Rim - Samoeng is another option.

Honestly, if you have a serious throat disorder you do NOT want to be here in February/March.

Thanks for the advice for my throat, yes I cant be here when it gets really smoky. Currently its fine up here in Chiang Rai, but in previous years its been unbearable for me. So I would be planning to stay on an METV and avoid March/April/May smokey times.

And thanks for the ideas, I'm looking into them all.  I went to the Hot Springs at Doi Saket, it was very nice around there. I still think its a bit far

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer, as much as I love nature I understand you cant really have it and be really close. So what about some quieter suburbs or neighbourhoods on the outskirts of the old city, so I could get into the city with a 10/15 minute drive. I know the difference between 15 and 30 minutes doesn't seem a lot, but it is when you want to nip in and out a lot.

I currently live 30 mins from Chiang Rai and I rarely go in on a whim! But thanks, its good for me to build up a good idea, and Im visiting Chiang Mai tomorrow so I can check out any suggestions.

53 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

So what about some quieter suburbs or neighbourhoods on the outskirts of the old city, so I could get into the city with a 10/15 minute drive. I know the difference between 15 and 30 minutes doesn't seem a lot, but it is when you want to nip in and out a lot.

Doi Saket is the outskirts of the Chiang Mai Metro area. Note, though you mention Doi Saket hot springs - you might want to look at a map, Doi Saket ranges from the Chiang Rai border to the Outer Ring Road.

If you can compromise on nature, take a look at the southern parts of Chang Klan and Haiya - close to town but off the major roads they're quiet and mostly Thai (the northern parts are highly touristy). 

Some people love Santitham - again, there are quiet parts and yet you're very close everything. 

A little further out Fa Ham might be worth a look as well - close to Central Festival but outside the Superhighway it's fairly quiet. 

14 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Doi Saket is the outskirts of the Chiang Mai Metro area. Note, though you mention Doi Saket hot springs - you might want to look at a map, Doi Saket ranges from the Chiang Rai border to the Outer Ring Road.

If you can compromise on nature, take a look at the southern parts of Chang Klan and Haiya - close to town but off the major roads they're quiet and mostly Thai (the northern parts are highly touristy). 

Some people love Santitham - again, there are quiet parts and yet you're very close everything. 

A little further out Fa Ham might be worth a look as well - close to Central Festival but outside the Superhighway it's fairly quiet. 

Thanks very much. I think I'll visit all the places you have suggested on this visit and see what they are like. I'll make a day of it. I can definitely compromise on nature, and I'm quite happy in just quiet areas of cities, which I'm sure there are as you mention. I just want to get to the know the city a bit better, but not just the old city ????

Thanks again

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Coincidence?

The three years I lived in Thailand have actually been over the last 6, on and off. I've always had throat issues since I was young, and after years of manageable issues everything went wrong!  It doesn't seem to make any difference what country I'm in, apart from I'm happier in Thailand which of course helps ???? 

3 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

The three years I lived in Thailand have actually been over the last 6, on and off. I've always had throat issues since I was young, and after years of manageable issues everything went wrong!  It doesn't seem to make any difference what country I'm in, apart from I'm happier in Thailand which of course helps ???? 

I live in San Sai area, which is closer to the city than Doi Saket, but still rural... lots of rice fields and trees, cows and chickens walking about etc.

It takes 15 minutes on my scooter to get to Central Festival shopping Mall.  Quite a few Farangs around here, but not too many, so you still will feel like you are in Thailand and not an expat village.

I moved here when I was 30 and lived here full time since.  What are you going to do for work... teaching?  There are many schools here in Chiang Mai, but most of the international schools are on the Airport side.. Hangdong.  Many people like it there, but for myself I find it has a lot of traffic and nearer to the city its more built up... but definitely more expat community if you like that.

Check out this area and this place is a jewel of a place...

Tucked away in a green area at the base of Doi Suthep and 5 minutes to Niman... just walk all into the office on the 1st floor and ask to see availability studios & 1 Br units...

Srisuwan Mansion, 203/18 ถ, แม่ขัวมุง ซอย ๓ Tambon Chang Phueak, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50300

https://g.co/kgs/YdzgQH

I would say Doi Saket seems to be suitable with what you are looking for. It is around 20 minutes to the city and it is calm and private.

in Doi Saket city area you have almost everything you need e.g. banks, good restaurants, market, hospital (not as good as in the city but there are healthcare clinics).

Out of curiosity, why do you need to be so close to the city? My experience is that the closer you are, the worse the traffic, noise pollution etc. In the suburbs such as SAN Sai Mae Rim, Maejo etc, you have all the amenities that you would need for day to day living

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 2/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, robodelfy said:

And thanks for the ideas, I'm looking into them all.  I went to the Hot Springs at Doi Saket, it was very nice around there. I still think its a bit far

Not Doi Saket, it's way too far out and filled with the walking dead, at 34 you'll be wanting a few more choices and a bit more action. Even Mae Rim is better than Doi Saket (but not by much).

Thanks for all the advice everyone

I've been in Chiang Mai for 5 days exploring on my motorbike. I feel like I have a much better grasp of the city now. I do find the traffic and fumes a bit overwhelming. But it probably also because of the air quality and heat currently. Its probably nicer when the smog clears in rainy season.

I've found so many condos/apartments all over the place, ranging from 3500 baht per month to well over 10000. But I was hoping to spend about 5 to 8k per month. I dont need anything fancy. I dont really see what everyone loves about Nimman although there are some good apartments around there. I preferred just north near Santhitham road, where it feels a bit more Thai and lots of street vendors etc. 

I imagine I will end up somewhere around this area, just north or north west of the old city. Where I'm staying in the north east of the old city is actually really quiet and chilled, and lots of nice places to eat including cheap Thai places. 

Thanks again for the help

Not Doi Saket, it's way too far out and filled with the walking dead, at 34 you'll be wanting a few more choices and a bit more action. Even Mae Rim is better than Doi Saket (but not by much).

Doi Saket , filled with walking dead, lol.
I live about 2-3 kms north of Maejo University. Oh, to be young again....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, robodelfy said:

I preferred just north near Santhitham road, where it feels a bit more Thai and lots of street vendors etc. 

Emporium Residence, 5k/month in Santitham Road (1 months deposit)

View Doi Mansion, 6k/month just off (2 months deposit)

7-11 and Tesco Lotus just outside, beer bars in Santhitham Plaza, Oxide and T-bar close by.

https://www.facebook.com/OxidePubChiangmai

YMCA just down the road for your Thai language lessons.

And 1 million CMU and CMRU university girls floating around in the evenings.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Emporium Residence, 5k/month in Santitham Road (1 months deposit)

View Doi Mansion, 6k/month just off (2 months deposit)

7-11 and Tesco Lotus just outside, beer bars in Santhitham Plaza, Oxide and T-bar close by.

https://www.facebook.com/OxidePubChiangmai

YMCA just down the road for your Thai language lessons.

And 1 million CMU and CMRU university girls floating around in the evenings.

Thanks yeah I checked Doi Mansion, its nice but you have to book months in advance because its small. I will have to check out Emporium, I didn't see that. I did go to Empress apartments. 

Thanks

On 2/11/2019 at 4:45 PM, robodelfy said:

Thanks for the advice for my throat, yes I cant be here when it gets really smoky. Currently its fine up here in Chiang Rai, but in previous years its been unbearable for me. So I would be planning to stay on an METV and avoid March/April/May smokey times.

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer, as much as I love nature I understand you cant really have it and be really close. So what about some quieter suburbs or neighbourhoods on the outskirts of the old city, so I could get into the city with a 10/15 minute drive. I know the difference between 15 and 30 minutes doesn't seem a lot, but it is when you want to nip in and out a lot.

I currently live 30 mins from Chiang Rai and I rarely go in on a whim! But thanks, its good for me to build up a good idea, and Im visiting Chiang Mai tomorrow so I can check out any suggestions.

There’s no such thing as nipping anywhere sadly....there’s is no nip in Chiang Mai.

The old timers say there’re used to be a nip....but the nip is long gone.

You could try Mar Rim or Doi Saket etc....but you won’t be nipping anywhere from there.

Youre either inner city or you’re not.

Thats it. 

If you have ‘throat problems’ ? Then from now until somewhere in May ...it’s going to be polluted.

You might want to live near Mae Jo area near the university. There are lots of university students and amenities but it is a 20 minutes drive to town. It is in the north of Chiang Mai.

Furthemore, you can reach Chiang Rai faster from Mae Jo.

If you want somewhere closer to town, try the Meechok area, Sansiri village, it is about 10 minutes drive to town.

https://www.sansiri.com/chiangmai/

2 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks yeah I checked Doi Mansion, its nice but you have to book months in advance because its small. I will have to check out Emporium, I didn't see that. I did go to Empress apartments. 

Thanks

I used to live in Santitham.

It's certainly not a quiet place, most nights there would be cats howling, drunk people speaking out loudly at 2 am in the morning, endless traffic. Cigarette smoke coming from your neighbours room.

Santitham is considered  inside the city center and not a suburb area.

If you prefer a quiet place, it's best to live in a house in a village.

2 hours ago, mikey88 said:

There’s no such thing as nipping anywhere sadly....there’s is no nip in Chiang Mai.

The old timers say there’re used to be a nip....but the nip is long gone.

You could try Mar Rim or Doi Saket etc....but you won’t be nipping anywhere from there.

Youre either inner city or you’re not.

Thats it. 

If you have ‘throat problems’ ? Then from now until somewhere in May ...it’s going to be polluted.

Thanks yeah its busier than I remember it! I first came 14 or so years ago, and the traffic was bad then! But still I've found certain routes are ok on a motorbike, but I'd hate to be getting around in a car.

As you say there will be no nipping from those outer areas! I think I'd feel reluctant to even attempt to get into the city from far out for any reason! 

48 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I used to live in Santitham.

It's certainly not a quiet place, most nights there would be cats howling, drunk people speaking out loudly at 2 am in the morning, endless traffic. Cigarette smoke coming from your neighbours room.

Santitham is considered  inside the city center and not a suburb area.

If you prefer a quiet place, it's best to live in a house in a village.

Thanks, yeah these places were actually off various side roads from Santhitam, and some of them were relatively quiet. But the main road wasn't, and there was a lot of loud music at night next to one of the apartments

One of the cheapest places, Huay Keaw Residence which is basically on Nimann and fairly popular although with mixed reviews. This place funnily enough felt quieter to me than most of the ones further from Nimann. I think because on the other side away from Nimann theres not really anything behind it, and its made up of variious big buildings which creates a quite quiet central space, with a pool. So this is definitely on the short list

6 hours ago, robodelfy said:

Thanks, yeah these places were actually off various side roads from Santhitam, and some of them were relatively quiet. But the main road wasn't, and there was a lot of loud music at night next to one of the apartments

One of the cheapest places, Huay Keaw Residence which is basically on Nimann and fairly popular although with mixed reviews. This place funnily enough felt quieter to me than most of the ones further from Nimann. I think because on the other side away from Nimann theres not really anything behind it, and its made up of variious big buildings which creates a quite quiet central space, with a pool. So this is definitely on the short list

Huay Kaew Residence is not on Nimman, it's on a very busy street.

All these are inside the city center and not considered suburbs. 

I moved out from that area because of bars near Kad Suan Kaew who like to blare their speakers out loud until 12 midnight. I need to sleep before 12 sometimes.

Suburbs would be like Mae Jo, Mae Rim, Doi Saket.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Huay Kaew Residence is not on Nimman, it's on a very busy street.

All these are inside the city center and not considered suburbs. 

I moved out from that area because of bars near Kad Suan Kaew who like to blare their speakers out loud until 12 midnight. I need to sleep before 12 sometimes.

Suburbs would be like Mae Jo, Mae Rim, Doi Saket.

Sorry yeah I mixed up some road names. I hadn't been there at night yet, but I didn't realise there were bars playing really loud music. Its the same issue in some of the other areas I looked.

I've been living in between two villages 30 mins outside of Chiang Rai for a while, and even there I hear loud Karaoke every night from across the huge lake! But I imagine what you describe would be more close and disturbing

I sleep before 12 every night, often before 11!

13 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

I lived behind Wat Umong. Nice quiet area, close to mountains and 10 min to the city. A lot of food stalls on the Suthep rd near CMU. Payed 5k a month for a room with nice view on Doi suthep. 

doi suthep.jpg

Wow! That looks nice. May I know what is the condo called?

13 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

I lived behind Wat Umong. Nice quiet area, close to mountains and 10 min to the city. A lot of food stalls on the Suthep rd near CMU. Payed 5k a month for a room with nice view on Doi suthep. 

doi suthep.jpg

Yeah that looks really nice, was that in rainy season? Its so lush and green. I'm also interested in the name of the condo...

also, how bad was the noise of planes taking off? Because every time I''m in that area it seems quite loud! Maybe Id get used to it

Archived