7-day extension considerations

My 30-day extension to my tourist exemption expires tomorrow. 

Reading a few threads on here, it seems like a 7-day 'extension' is more like time to pack and get out. Seems to carry some negative connotations, i.e. not much better than paying for a few days' overstay?

In the last 26 months I've had about five tourist exemptions and one extension. 

If I want to be able to come back for 30 days in the next month or so, and not have hassles coming again later in the year (after October), what are the solidest options?

I could easily head off to Singapore, KL, Cambodia for a few days right now. Or I could do an agency-style border run. And/or I could try and get a proper tourist visa in a neighbouring country (although that might be more appropriate for later in the year). 

Any advice appreciated.

Get a SETV. You can have 2 visa exempt entries at border per calendar yr. You could try somewhere like non khai. Try for exempt and if problem go to Vientiane and obtain setv.

Your at point where flying into bkk airports might not be a given

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Op what passport. As visa exempt countries for setv might be useful next trip. BTW, your 30 day extension expires tomorrow? Yeah sure people often say in very chilled way....oh I will just cop fine for few days overstay". That plan doesn't work so well when picked up for something minor. Yes granted chance is low. Personally I would never do it unless there was circumstances.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Op what passport. As visa exempt countries for setv might be useful next trip. BTW, your 30 day extension expires tomorrow? Yeah sure people often say in very chilled way....oh I will just cop fine for few days overstay". That plan doesn't work so well when picked up for something minor. Yes granted chance is low. Personally I would never do it unless there was circumstances.

Definitely no plans to overstay, I was going to go for the 7 days but more inclined to fly out (have a contingency). 

Passport that land of peace and harmony the UK.

5 minutes ago, dpinger said:

Definitely no plans to overstay, I was going to go for the 7 days but more inclined to fly out (have a contingency). 

Passport that land of peace and harmony the UK.

That's why I asked about pp. Being UK you are visa exempt to Vietnam. Saigon chilled joint and consulate fair for setv. Might want to consider it next trip. As for now, depends where you are. You could fly to udon thani, try a bounce at non khai and back VE. If that didn't work obtain setv at Vientiane. Note you need make appointment at that consulate now. Others will give you better advised based on where you are currently.

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's why I asked about pp. Being UK you are visa exempt to Vietnam. Saigon chilled joint and consulate fair for setv. Might want to consider it next trip. As for now, depends where you are. You could fly to udon thani, try a bounce at non khai and back VE. If that didn't work obtain setv at Vientiane. Note you need make appointment at that consulate now. Others will give you better advised based on where you are currently.

Chiang Mai right now. Considering going to Singapore/KL/Cambodia, would any of those work?

1 minute ago, dpinger said:

Chiang Mai right now. Considering going to Singapore/KL/Cambodia, would any of those work?

They will work esp if your obtaining setv. Means you would most likely return via air to bkk airports. For setv pp, requires some days for setv and agent best. Singapore I have heard people not recommend. Penang apparently OK and agents helpful. Or are you suggesting another visa exempt entry. Don't think you will get one entering via bkk airport. I would do a border run. There is a member jack Thompson he knows lot about friendly border crossings. Advice will come along soon. 

4 hours ago, dpinger said:

Reading a few threads on here, it seems like a 7-day 'extension' is more like time to pack and get out. Seems to carry some negative connotations, i.e. not much better than paying for a few days' overstay?

The 7-days is by far preferable to any overstay.  Overstay provides a legitimate reason to deny-entry in the future.

4 hours ago, dpinger said:

If I want to be able to come back for 30 days in the next month or so, and not have hassles coming again later in the year (after October), what are the solidest options?

No hassles if you enter at law-abiding land borders - all except Poipet/Aranyaprathet.  That one land-border is even worse than the airports as to denying-entry on false-grounds.  The manner of denial works by initially claiming there is a time-limit - though none exists in law - then stamping "doesn't have the money" in your passport - even if you have plenty, because they there is no legal rejection-stamp based on "too much time here before".

Note that Visa-Exempt entries are given at Immigration's discretion - so they can deny on these more easily than a person with a Tourist Visa.

I could easily head off to Singapore, KL, Cambodia for a few days right now. Or I could do an agency-style border run. And/or I could try and get a proper tourist visa in a neighbouring country (although that might be more appropriate for later in the year). 

I suggest anyone staying here frequently and/or for longer periods always use a Tourist Visa - only using Visa-Exempt to enter in cases where one is not given a Tourist Visa as planned.

3 hours ago, dpinger said:

For a Tourist Visa, KL is the only decent option of those 3.  For Visa-Exempt, I suppose Singapore would "look better" since it is more expensive - but I would not recommend trying to fly in.

For Visa-Exempt, given your history, I would not attempt to fly-in again, unless your previous stays were only a few-days each (given one extension, apparently at least one was longer). 

Even with a Tourist Visa I would not fly in, though with months of time out of country between stays, you would have better odds of being allowed in with a Tourist Visa.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the replies, @DrJack54 and @JackThompson. I was really quite ignorant of this distinction between land and air borders (or imagined the latter more favourable if anything). And didn’t realise that coming back after a few months for another tourist exemption could potentially be dodgy. The fact that the second extension was only allowed for 7 days tipped me off.

If I get a tourist visa in future, what are some convenient ways of getting in by land e.g. to Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

When you talk about in future perhaps obtain a setv, it depends where your coming from. Sounds like you enjoy spending time in los. If every back in UK you might wish to consider a METV. Or obtain setv in UK. If obtaining visa in nearby country then as I mentioned earlier you could fly to Saigon. Sort of place you could easily spend some time. The setv there is overnight gig and that topic has been covered very well on Thaivisa. Recent thread was a thumbs up for experience at Penang. That member used an agent. Personally I like udon thani so if I was looking for setv Vientiane would be good option. From Chiang mai I'm not familiar but surely have options... Keep in mind if you plan ahead flights can be cheap. As jack mentioned, your getting to point where flying into bkk even with a setv is not a given. Lot depends on time out of Thailand between now and your future planned trip with a visa.

13 hours ago, dpinger said:

If I get a tourist visa in future, what are some convenient ways of getting in by land e.g. to Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

That depends where you go to get your Tourist Visa.  From Laos or Malaysia - just cross any land-border.  From elsewhere, you can fly to Vientiane or Penang, cross by land, then fly onward domestic-air.