Koh Samui awash with drugs - local prison full to bursting

webfact

Koh Samui awash with drugs - local prison full to bursting 

onb_1549767177_3280.jpg

ONB News reported that the holiday island of Koh Samui was awash with drugs and the local prison was crammed full of those convicted on drugs charges. 

They were commenting after the latest arrest of a Thai woman and her Thai husband on drugs charges. 

Ice or methamphetamine was found at her home in Bo Phut. 

ONB said that 80% of the inmates at the prison on Koh Samui (Samui District prison) were in for drugs.

They said that the prison was bursting at the seams as drugs cases abound on the island. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-11

Total waste of money by the state.

Drug legalization would free so much money for improving the infrastructure and emerging from the "third world".

But drug legalization would mean massive layoffs in the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) business as well as prisons and the entire costly support systems.

Even worse, cops would have to start living off their own salaries only.

The above 2 reasons are worldwide, not just Thailand.

A few months ago I was stopped by a police check at about ten in the evening. On the main road, a few minutes before Lamai, coming from Bophut. I was on my motorcycle and there were several bikes on a lot with at least a dozen police officers. The policeman asked me, do you have any drugs with you and quoted some names of different drugs? I frowned and replied spontaneously with a big smile, do you think I look like someone who takes drugs, in addition at my age? Believe it or not, he laughed and said no, and waved me to show I could go. I did not believe it myself, since my answer was instinctive. Maybe he was not very professional...but it's a true story :smile: 

1 hour ago, mickymouse1 said:

Can we know the exact numbers categorised by nationality ,age and gender?????

I know one of them locked up he has been in Samui prison just under 15 months he got 4 years the last time I heard there were 50 to a room and quite a few of them are farangs from my understanding there are a number of inmates from Koh Phangan and Koh Tao as the saying goes “ Do the crime Do the time “

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

A few months ago I was stopped by a police check at about ten in the evening. On the main road, a few minutes before Lamai, coming from Bophut. I was on my motorcycle and there were several bikes on a lot with at least a dozen police officers. The policeman asked me, do you have any drugs with you and quoted some names of different drugs? I frowned and replied spontaneously with a big smile, do you think I look like someone who takes drugs, in addition at my age? Believe it or not, he laughed and said no, and waved me to show I could go. I did not believe it myself, since my answer was instinctive. Maybe he was not very professional...but it's a true story :smile: 

It could have also been this way;-

policeman, "Do you have any drugs"

you,   "No"

Policeman, "Do you want some"?

So, 80% are in for drugs, and the other 20% probably for crimes relating to getting money for drugs. Surely it is time to reconsider the war on drugs, which is currently being won by drugs. :coffee1:

As far as I'm concerned Koh Samuii is a dump. So let all the drugs in Thailand stay there. Everything I paid for there cost half to double more than where I live in Korat. The Songthaews want a hundred baht for nine kilometers which cost here nine baht. The hospital I was dealing with there charged me 1,250 baht for the final rabies jab, which here is 700 baht.......and on and on. Beaches not very clean, water bordering on cold, and not very clean. After there I zipped down to my old stomping ground on Phuket.....water was delightful and spent an hour and a half in it on just one day. I was amused by a farang who lived in Bali and had a diving school, and he came to Koh Samuii for a vacation.....laughable.

15 minutes ago, Mansell said:

As far as I'm concerned Koh Samuii is a dump. So let all the drugs in Thailand stay there. Everything I paid for there cost half to double more than where I live in Korat. The Songthaews want a hundred baht for nine kilometers which cost here nine baht. The hospital I was dealing with there charged me 1,250 baht for the final rabies jab, which here is 700 baht.......and on and on. Beaches not very clean, water bordering on cold, and not very clean. After there I zipped down to my old stomping ground on Phuket.....water was delightful and spent an hour and a half in it on just one day. I was amused by a farang who lived in Bali and had a diving school, and he came to Koh Samuii for a vacation.....laughable.

a Korat resident calling Samui a dump , comedy gold ????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Koh Samui was awash with drugs and the local prison was crammed full of those convicted on drugs charges. 

May want to consider adopting Portugal's model on drugs as the current Thai model isn't working unless you consider prisons packed with users to be a success.

The Songthaews want a hundred baht for nine kilometers which cost here nine baht.

If you can't pay 100THB for a 9km trip you are a 'cheap charlie' and not wanted on Samui, fortunately you've left already.

The other thing is Samui is awash with drugs and it is quite concerning. A clamp down on the   dealers would be welcome but isn't going to happen soon. Farangs will continue to be arrested for buying, held until their visa runs out then deported. The dealers are left alone, even if they stab their customers ...........

I hate to say it but there IS a problem with ICE usage on Koh Samui.

Most of the bar ladies (uneducated about the addictiveness) are using and many "hooked" with this drug...to the delight of the scum that sells to these ladies trying to make a buck for their families back home in Isan.

The Ice pushers SHOULD BE PROSECUTED to the max for this addictive drug!

18 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Slightly off topic, but I was stopped a few weeks ago in Hua Hin at about 9pm. Two policemen, one each side of the car. I opened both windows and the one on the left looked in and said "Do you have a gun", i immediately replied "No, are you selling one?", As the words left my mouth I thought Oh s**t, shouldn't have said that, his mate on my side burst out laughing and told me to go.....I made a mental note to myself.....Do not be facetious at checkpoints......:whistling:

15 hours ago, Mansell said:

Another 'expert' who I doubt ventured outside of Chaweng or Lamai or whose business failed & Samui gets the blame(!)

BTW: THB 40/60 would have covered the Songtaew but the secret is to have it ready. Prices and drivers details are displayed in the back. Anyone not having the correct fare or asking 'how much?' only have themselves to blame if conned before 1800hrs when they become private charters.

HTH

16 hours ago, Mansell said:

That is disgraceful, hope you put in a complaint ????????

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

They’re both dumps- just one is a more expensive dump.

No Samui is not more expensive if you avoid the tourists.

Tesco, BigC, Makro have same prices as in Korat. 

Actually Makro here is better than in Chiang Mai or Korat on fresh food because of the turnover, still same price. 

Local Muslim seafood market, bet you don't find a cheaper in Korat. 

Basically, if you come here as a tourist, you pay tourist money, even if you live in Korat. 

We, the locals pay Thai prices. 

Only exemption is gasoline, that's two baht more than on the mainland. 

Yes, I know you live in Korat and calls it a dump... ????

Buriram is a nice place.

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

Another 'expert' who I doubt ventured outside of Chaweng or Lamai or whose business failed & Samui gets the blame(!)

BTW: THB 40/60 would have covered the Songtaew but the secret is to have it ready. Prices and drivers details are displayed in the back. Anyone not having the correct fare or asking 'how much?' only have themselves to blame if conned before 1800hrs when they become private charters.

HTH

You are wrong....I was on the island for specific medical treatment at a specific hospital. And the Songthaews hold you to ransom. I was riding in one and there were six Germans walking. The driver stopped and said 100 baht each, they refused and started walking, he then said 80 baht, they refused and started walking again, he then said 50 baht, so they got in. The place is a nightmare, the traffic is horrible, worse than Phuket. Supposedly a 45 kph speed limit, but crazy kids screaming around the island on their scooters. I was hit by one doing over a 100 kph, his footrest punched a hole through my door and severely damaged four different structural braces on the right suspension. They wanted the car for a month to fix it.....ridiculous. I paid for the main piece myself and drove back to Korat, fixed in a week. As I said before.....a dump.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

You are wrong....I was on the island for specific medical treatment at a specific hospital. 

Sounds like a bit of a tall story here, so you came to Samui for medical treatment (where everyone knows medical treatment is really really cheap!) then complained about a 100THB Songthaew? Why not Bangkok?

27 minutes ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Sounds like a bit of a tall story here, so you came to Samui for medical treatment (where everyone knows medical treatment is really really cheap!) then complained about a 100THB Songthaew? Why not Bangkok?

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

You are wrong....I was on the island for specific medical treatment at a specific hospital. 

Government hospital in Nathon has same price as government hospital in Korat, so you came here for treatment at a private hospital because it's better and then complain about the price? 

17 hours ago, Mansell said:

...a hospital deemed the most expensive in Thailand sitting slap bang in the middle of the zone I outlined when I was errr...wrong?

Archived