BANGKOK

Has anyone seen crumpets for sale ( not the two legged variety) in Chiang Mai have checked the main supermarkets without success.

I was wondering if there is a bakery that makes them

English muffins? The Hideaway restaurant has them - I believe their in town sister store does too.....

I think I recall Rob at sausage king posting some on his FB, but it may have been a test batch or a personal delivery. 

I associate crumpets with (all sing along) ....Chestnuts roasting on an open fire......

Since the temperature here is not cold enough I doubt there is a need for them.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

most definately not English muffins which is bread.

wherever you learnt that, unlearn it.

OK - got it....Guess crumpets are more like flat bread cooked on one side....

In a month we'll be back in English Muffin land & one of the first things we pick up while re-stocking the RV is Sourdough English Muffins for toasting.....A great way to start the day.....

Never tried a crumpet - I'll look while we're there.....

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you OK?  Have you ever tried to make crumpets in Thailand? Do you know how much a cast iron skillet costs?  Do you know how difficult it is to get even heating with a gas hob?  Who is going to clean up all that batter mess? And getting the batter out of the egg rings?   Do you know where to get good flour in a small Thai town?  How do you get the gas on a low setting?  There are no low setting gas hobs in Thailand!  Have you ever been to Thailand?

Our gas hob can do low settings...

And american 'lodge' cast iron skillets are sold in villa market, not so expensive....1000 or so iirc..

If the rings stick you need teflon coated ones, they probably have those as well in central or so.

Raro cast iron skillets are available here....Rim Ping has them....

I ordered a set through Raro....2 skillets & a dutch oven....

Seems like a griddle would be good to make them too....

If I recall correctly Butter is Best in Rimping sold them.

I guess that sales were not good and they stopped selling them, if fact they have moved out of Rimping

Anyway, I understood, if you ordered 10/12 they would make for you

Why not check it out

45 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Marcus - I will resist the temptation to call you a halfwit or a child

Just for the record

I made crumpets for 4 Brits at my house last week.

I live up in Esan about 45 mins from Buriram

My local town (20km) has good flour (and yeast & a host of items for baking)

If you have a lot of batter mess I would question your recipe or own ability

Yes I have a Skillet and egg rings but easy to improvise

My gas stove was bought at Thai Wasadu and in this modern age has a low setting (even in Thailand)

Yes I live in Thailand 

If you has stated you were some guy stuck in a single room with only a microwave, who never had a mother to teach him to cook I might have had some compassion. However at this stage all I can recommend is that you up the medication 

OK smart guy.  Send a photo of your crumpets.  I make sourdough pizza dough and bake in my pizza oven weekly and bread every other day.  Crumpets are a mess.  I learned how to make crumpets at the Pike Place Crumpet shop.  The egg rings are sharp and easy to cut fingers with.  To get a low heat I have to support the griddle above the hob.  I refuse to buy a cast iron skillet for only one use - crumpets.  I think perhaps you have a less discerning palate than I for crumpets and are satisfied with a poor quality product.  I buy mine at tops and foodland. 

Other problems, surface has to be the correct temp when pouring batter, rings have to be cut with something while hot, metal spatula shoved under crumpet in confined area, do you finish in oven?  Another step.  All in all complicated and time consuming and difficult to make and clean up with a yeast batter. It is not like I haven't tried.  I really like crumpets and so does my wife.  Crumpets rank right up there with souffle's for things I find difficult to make.    

cr.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

Plenty of crumpet on Loi Kroh Road. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Plenty of crumpet on Loi Kroh Road. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Strumpet, L, strumpet...