Crumpets

StevieAus

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Easy to make your own. Very easy. Give it a try

Are you OK?  Have you ever tried to make crumpets in Thailand? Do you know how much a cast iron skillet costs?  Do you know how difficult it is to get even heating with a gas hob?  Who is going to clean up all that batter mess? And getting the batter out of the egg rings?   Do you know where to get good flour in a small Thai town?  How do you get the gas on a low setting?  There are no low setting gas hobs in Thailand!  Have you ever been to Thailand?

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

most definately not English muffins which is bread.

wherever you learnt that, unlearn it.

OK - got it....Guess crumpets are more like flat bread cooked on one side....

In a month we'll be back in English Muffin land & one of the first things we pick up while re-stocking the RV is Sourdough English Muffins for toasting.....A great way to start the day.....

Never tried a crumpet - I'll look while we're there.....

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you OK?  Have you ever tried to make crumpets in Thailand? Do you know how much a cast iron skillet costs?  Do you know how difficult it is to get even heating with a gas hob?  Who is going to clean up all that batter mess? And getting the batter out of the egg rings?   Do you know where to get good flour in a small Thai town?  How do you get the gas on a low setting?  There are no low setting gas hobs in Thailand!  Have you ever been to Thailand?

Our gas hob can do low settings...

And american 'lodge' cast iron skillets are sold in villa market, not so expensive....1000 or so iirc..

If the rings stick you need teflon coated ones, they probably have those as well in central or so.

Marcus - I will resist the temptation to call you a halfwit or a child

Just for the record

I made crumpets for 4 Brits at my house last week.

I live up in Esan about 45 mins from Buriram

My local town (20km) has good flour (and yeast & a host of items for baking)

If you have a lot of batter mess I would question your recipe or own ability

Yes I have a Skillet and egg rings but easy to improvise

My gas stove was bought at Thai Wasadu and in this modern age has a low setting (even in Thailand)

Yes I live in Thailand 

If you has stated you were some guy stuck in a single room with only a microwave, who never had a mother to teach him to cook I might have had some compassion. However at this stage all I can recommend is that you up the medication 

If I recall correctly Butter is Best in Rimping sold them.

I guess that sales were not good and they stopped selling them, if fact they have moved out of Rimping

Anyway, I understood, if you ordered 10/12 they would make for you

Why not check it out

45 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Marcus - I will resist the temptation to call you a halfwit or a child

Just for the record

I made crumpets for 4 Brits at my house last week.

I live up in Esan about 45 mins from Buriram

My local town (20km) has good flour (and yeast & a host of items for baking)

If you have a lot of batter mess I would question your recipe or own ability

Yes I have a Skillet and egg rings but easy to improvise

My gas stove was bought at Thai Wasadu and in this modern age has a low setting (even in Thailand)

Yes I live in Thailand 

If you has stated you were some guy stuck in a single room with only a microwave, who never had a mother to teach him to cook I might have had some compassion. However at this stage all I can recommend is that you up the medication 

OK smart guy.  Send a photo of your crumpets.  I make sourdough pizza dough and bake in my pizza oven weekly and bread every other day.  Crumpets are a mess.  I learned how to make crumpets at the Pike Place Crumpet shop.  The egg rings are sharp and easy to cut fingers with.  To get a low heat I have to support the griddle above the hob.  I refuse to buy a cast iron skillet for only one use - crumpets.  I think perhaps you have a less discerning palate than I for crumpets and are satisfied with a poor quality product.  I buy mine at tops and foodland. 

Other problems, surface has to be the correct temp when pouring batter, rings have to be cut with something while hot, metal spatula shoved under crumpet in confined area, do you finish in oven?  Another step.  All in all complicated and time consuming and difficult to make and clean up with a yeast batter. It is not like I haven't tried.  I really like crumpets and so does my wife.  Crumpets rank right up there with souffle's for things I find difficult to make.    

cr.jpg

Pleased that you enjoy baking.

Perhaps the colonial version of a crumpet lost something in translation or the Seattle weather was not conductive to their production. Try the recipe below

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/classic-crumpets/

I appear to have been more fortunate than yourself when handling Egg rings. Not sure if its all the HS&E training I received during my manufacturing career or the fact my egg rings do not have razor edges ( resist temptation to say 'fall under the second amendment' )

I believe I know a good crumpet when I taste one having been brought up in the UK and purchased them from local bakers in Lancashire. 

No doubt those posting on this thread can propose a host of items/ideas/ recipes where a skillet is useful. It might convince you to invest in one.

I will try to get some crumpets from Tops and pass comment when I get chance.

Yes I use a spatula to turn the rings and the crumpets tend to drop down,

This allows me to brown them off whilst starting another one in the egg ring. Why are the crumpets in your picture so pale ?

Not complicated and not time consuming.

Sorry my picture is not isolated to crumpets (look LHS back). However if you can enlarge it you will see they look pretty good (unlike my potato cakes which I admit were cr&p)

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

4 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

most definately not English muffins which is bread.

wherever you learnt that, unlearn it.

Yep. Not the same thing. When I was a kid, muffins were what Southerners had toasted for breakfast and crumpets were what Northerners had. Only sold them in winter too.

Have you seen what the Pike Place Crumpet Shop does to our crumpets ??

https://thecrumpetshop.com/crumpets/

High P - Made a few favorites for the boys last week end. I've been stuffing my face with Lemon Curd (well Lime curd if the truth be known) and Pate on toast (no not together ..... but it might be on the menu at Pike Place Crumpet Shop) all week,

Recipe in previous post works well  https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/classic-crumpets/

You can scr&& a mans wife but you can't dis his crumpets

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I bought a silicone six ring thingy from Lazada. Easy to clean and works a treat. I use a heavy, non stick frying pan, works fine. Bought a five burner hob from Boonthavorn. Can turn one burner down to not much more than the heat of a candle. Strong flour (bread flour) is available at a number of shops.

I bought a silicone six ring thingy from Lazada.

Now that's what I need. Tip much appreciated and off to search Lazada.

I can consign those lethal egg rings to the bin. The world is a safer place and no more need to clean up the blood and batter mess ????

25 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Pleased that you enjoy baking.

Perhaps the colonial version of a crumpet lost something in translation or the Seattle weather was not conductive to their production. Try the recipe below

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/classic-crumpets/

I appear to have been more fortunate than yourself when handling Egg rings. Not sure if its all the HS&E training I received during my manufacturing career or the fact my egg rings do not have razor edges ( resist temptation to say 'fall under the second amendment' )

I believe I know a good crumpet when I taste one having been brought up in the UK and purchased them from local bakers in Lancashire. 

No doubt those posting on this thread can propose a host of items/ideas/ recipes where a skillet is useful. It might convince you to invest in one.

I will try to get some crumpets from Tops and pass comment when I get chance.

Yes I use a spatula to turn the rings and the crumpets tend to drop down,

This allows me to brown them off whilst starting another one in the egg ring. Why are the crumpets in your picture so pale ?

Not complicated and not time consuming.

Sorry my picture is not isolated to crumpets (look LHS back). However if you can enlarge it you will see they look pretty good (unlike my potato cakes which I admit were cr&p)

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

You do yourself a disservice. Potato cakes look fine. The crispy burny bits are what gives them the flavour.

Crumpets look a bit thick but it's the taste that counts. Try a pastry knife to turn the crumpets out of the rings.

I too am a Lancastrian and know a good crumpet when I see one. Have bought them at Villa Market in the past, now 210 baht for 6 small crumpets and they taste awful. Don't bother. Only way to gewt good crumpets in Thailand is to make your own. However, if friends are visiting, I always get them to bring over a couple of packs of Warburtons crumpets. Simply the best and 40 baht for a pack of 9 in the UK.

Amazing spread BTW well done!

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Funny.

Crumpets are easy to make at home. Regular frying pan, silicone rings, regular gas hob, regular flour........... need I go on?

1 minute ago, seajae said:

hot crumpets with butter and honey or orange marmalade are yummy

Yep. The missus ordered two for breakfast, this morning at Retox. Served with honey, marmalade and a mug of builders tea. She'd never drunk tea with milk before, she put some of the honey in it and loved it.

Archived