Crumpets

StevieAus

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now this is what we are talking about, and if you have eaten these then just looking at the picture and you will be able to smell them.
Crumpets-1-cropped-more-610x521.jpg.9622ad43b92ab51b5dc567e2d5d0200a.jpg
My wife came to England last summer, she loved them with Cheshire cheese grilled on top, and soaked in butter, of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

Our gas hob can do low settings...

And american 'lodge' cast iron skillets are sold in villa market, not so expensive....1000 or so iirc..

If the rings stick you need teflon coated ones, they probably have those as well in central or so.

Our three ring Singer oven with three gas rings also has very low settings ( and high.)

Secondly, , don't need an iron skillet. I do ours in a large non stick frying pan using non stick rings. No more messy than anything else. Only thing to watch is that the yeast is still active. Here are some of mine :

DSC02487.jpg

Villa market sell Warburton Frozen crumpets from UK in a pack of 6 for 105 Bht at Sukhumvit 33.. Not cheap.. 

Maybe avail in CM.. 

3 flips in the toaster, nice and crunchy with decent marg/butter and honey. Once thawed use within 4 days.. 

Not as good as Golden crumpets from OZ but still good.. 

21 minutes ago, owenm said:

Villa market sell Warburton Frozen crumpets from UK in a pack of 6 for 105 Bht at Sukhumvit 33.. Not cheap.. 

Maybe avail in CM.. 

3 flips in the toaster, nice and crunchy with decent marg/butter and honey. Once thawed use within 4 days.. 

I wish. Villa in Pattaya sell an unknown brand for 210 baht for a pack of 6 small crumpets and they are awful. Warburtons are the best crumpets, anywhere.

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you OK?  Have you ever tried to make crumpets in Thailand? Do you know how much a cast iron skillet costs?  Do you know how difficult it is to get even heating with a gas hob?  Who is going to clean up all that batter mess? And getting the batter out of the egg rings?   Do you know where to get good flour in a small Thai town?  How do you get the gas on a low setting?  There are no low setting gas hobs in Thailand!  Have you ever been to Thailand?

What!!

You can buy them here in Hua Hin.  As far as making your own, they're so easy.  Baking soda is readily available.  Yeast is readily available.  Once you have made the 'batter' and allowed a few hours for it to double, then they're so easy to make.  Once made, you can freeze them.  As good as any from Warburton's.

You obviously don't have a clue!!! Iron skillet?? Even heating?? What mess?? (My pan remains perfectly clean after cooking)

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I wish. Villa in Pattaya sell an unknown brand for 210 baht for a pack of 6 small crumpets and they are awful. Warburtons are the best crumpets, anywhere.

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

What!!

You can buy them here in Hua Hin.  As far as making your own, they're so easy.  Baking soda is readily available.  Yeast is readily available.  Once you have made the 'batter' and allowed a few hours for it to double, then they're so easy to make.  Once made, you can freeze them.  As good as any from Warburton's.

You obviously don't have a clue!!! Iron skillet?? Even heating?? What mess?? (My pan remains perfectly clean after cooking)

If Villa sell Warburton's in BKK ask the Pattaya manager to order in - they are happy to do that for customers

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

OK smart guy.  Send a photo of your crumpets.  I make sourdough pizza dough and bake in my pizza oven weekly and bread every other day.  Crumpets are a mess.  I learned how to make crumpets at the Pike Place Crumpet shop.  The egg rings are sharp and easy to cut fingers with.  To get a low heat I have to support the griddle above the hob.  I refuse to buy a cast iron skillet for only one use - crumpets.  I think perhaps you have a less discerning palate than I for crumpets and are satisfied with a poor quality product.  I buy mine at tops and foodland. 

Other problems, surface has to be the correct temp when pouring batter, rings have to be cut with something while hot, metal spatula shoved under crumpet in confined area, do you finish in oven?  Another step.  All in all complicated and time consuming and difficult to make and clean up with a yeast batter. It is not like I haven't tried.  I really like crumpets and so does my wife.  Crumpets rank right up there with souffle's for things I find difficult to make.    

cr.jpg

And don't forget this; never clean up dough mess with warm or hot water. Guess everyone (doesn't) know that.

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Our three ring Singer oven with three gas rings also has very low settings ( and high.)

Secondly, , don't need an iron skillet. I do ours in a large non stick frying pan using non stick rings. No more messy than anything else. Only thing to watch is that the yeast is still active. Here are some of mine :

What gas setting do you cook the crumpets on?

The other thing I may have done that created problems was use a sour dough starter because I like sourdough crumpets. 

But that aside perhaps someone could explain to me what this means in English.

5.  For the butter, pour the cream into a freestanding mixer. Whisk on high for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cream splits into solids and liquid.

6.  Drain through a sieve, discard the liquid, then rinse the solids thoroughly with cold water. Place in muslin and squeeze out any excess liquid. Mix ½ a teaspoon of sea salt through and wrap in greaseproof paper.

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I associate crumpets with (all sing along) ....Chestnuts roasting on an open fire......

Since the temperature here is not cold enough I doubt there is a need for them.

It's not compulsory that they can only be eaten in cold weather.

Three or four years back 'Butter is Better' tried to make / sell them, here in CM.

And given the cost of manufacture and distribution etc., not cheap.

Only lasted a couple of months and they stopped. From my understanding total sales were tiny and just not worth the effort. 

What a shame, I bought a bag full as soon as I saw them and then after, my Thai family loved them with margarine and Vegemite, jam, jam and cheese. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

What gas setting do you cook the crumpets on?

Low.  There are no numbers on our cooker. Just keep the flame low and warm the lighty greased pan first. When you see the batter in the ring starting to bubble and set on top remove the crumpet from the ring and flip over to cook the topside. I usually have two pans on the go at once. The first to pour in the mix and cook through the second to do the topside. That makes the production line a bit quick. Usually do a batch of 12-14 at a time and store in the freezer when cooled.

Our cooker :

P_20181222_201705.jpg

This is pretty much the same as I do them :

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It used to be. When I was a kid they were only sold in the months with an "R" in them. Same as mussels.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It used to be. When I was a kid they were only sold in the months with an "R" in them. Same as mussels.

Not relevant to Thailand.

48 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The other thing I may have done that created problems was use a sour dough starter because I like sourdough crumpets. 

But that aside perhaps someone could explain to me what this means in English.

5.  For the butter, pour the cream into a freestanding mixer. Whisk on high for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cream splits into solids and liquid.

6.  Drain through a sieve, discard the liquid, then rinse the solids thoroughly with cold water. Place in muslin and squeeze out any excess liquid. Mix ½ a teaspoon of sea salt through and wrap in greaseproof paper.

Marcus -

The recipe also gives instructions on how to make homemade butter. I am too lazy to do that and ignore the steps associated with For the butter,

Good luck and I hope they work out well for you

20 hours ago, HullyGully said:

If I recall correctly Butter is Best in Rimping sold them.

I guess that sales were not good and they stopped selling them, if fact they have moved out of Rimping

Anyway, I understood, if you ordered 10/12 they would make for you

Why not check it out

Thanks will contact them

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Thanks will contact them

Yes I bought mostly from the shop on the outside of Rimping at the NIM centre (near Airport Plaza), also from their main shop / restaurant / bakery near the night market.

Butter is Better small shop near Rimping at NIM centre closed at least 3 years.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Not relevant to Thailand.

Of course it is . There are no months with an "R" in them in Thailand. Thais cant pronounce "R".

Seriously though, it used to be a tradition, in the UK, that they weren't produced/eaten in Summer as they were cold weather food. Maybe it was because they were traditionally prepared on an open fire using a toasting fork. My first crumpets were prepared this way. No fires in summer. Crumpets are originally a Northern food. Southern softies ate toasted muffins.

9 hours ago, owenm said:

Maybe avail in CM.. 

That's a question i was going to ask....Are Crumpets available in Oz, as i am going down there next month ?     Presume they are in all the Supermarkets ?

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Of course it is . There are no months with an "R" in them in Thailand. Thais cant pronounce "R".

Seriously though, it used to be a tradition, in the UK, that they weren't produced/eaten in Summer as they were cold weather food. Maybe it was because they were traditionally prepared on an open fire using a toasting fork. My first crumpets were prepared this way. No fires in summer. Crumpets are originally a Northern food. Southern softies ate toasted muffins.

I was born and grew up in Kent and we had plenty of Crumpets through the 50's-60's but we never had Muffins until they arrived in the 70's.

10 hours ago, owenm said:

Maybe avail in CM.. 

Golden Crumpets are all that I’ve been exposed to in my poor sheltered life, they have however kept me satisfied until this point in time. 

Owen, it must be said... STICK TO THE BLOODY BUTTER MAN !!

Archived