Crumpets

StevieAus

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

That's a question i was going to ask....Are Crumpets available in Oz, as i am going down there next month ?     Presume they are in all the Supermarkets ?

Yes mate, the afore mentioned Golden Crumpets are the go to brand.

Guys, are the egg rings really required ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

,,,,,,,,,,,, are the egg rings really required ?

Someone mentioned Pikelets to me earlier today, had never heard of a Pikelet but it looks like they are identical in the batter mix vut are made without the egg rings.

A quick Google told me 

Essentially, the main difference is that a pikelet is not cooked in a ring like acrumpet, hence why it is thinner and more freeform in shape. Crumpets were originally hard, it was not until the Victorian era that they became soft and spongy as we know them today.

1 minute ago, pagan1 said:

Someone mentioned Pikelets to me earlier today, had never heard of a Pikelet but it looks like they are identical in the batter mix vut are made without the egg rings.

A quick Google told me 

Essentially, the main difference is that a pikelet is not cooked in a ring like acrumpet, hence why it is thinner and more freeform in shape. Crumpets were originally hard, it was not until the Victorian era that they became soft and spongy as we know them today.

The Aussie Golden Crumpets don’t really look like they’ve been egg ringed, hence my question... 

egg ring shopping this weekend ????????

24 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

The Aussie Golden Crumpets don’t really look like they’ve been egg ringed, hence my question... 

egg ring shopping this weekend ????????

Or do like Titlia, cut the top and bottom off a can of tuna. Why go out and buy 'egg rings'?

Recycle and all that.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I already have the egg rings.  20 baht and the cheap Chinese store. 

Could have saved yourself B20 and the trip....provided you eat canned tuna I suppose.

Did you check out her crumpet video? 

Someone mentioned Pikelets to me earlier today, I had never heard of a Pikelet but it looks like they are identical in the batter mix vut are made without the egg rings.

A quick Google told me 

Pikelets have raisens in them, lovely!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was brought up in the north and I've never heard of raisins in pikelets.  The main difference between piklets and crumpets is the 'egg rings'.  Pikelets are usually free form so therefore thinner and crumpets are what Warburton's make.

Having said that,  in the north of England both variations are called pikelets.

That pic in the previous post look nothing like either but do look tasty nevertheless.

I was brought up in the north and I've never heard of raisins in pikelets.  The main difference between piklets and crumpets is the 'egg rings'.  Pikelets are usually free form so therefore thinner and crumpets are what Warburton's make.

Having said that,  in the north of England both variations are called pikelets.

That pic in the previous post look nothing like either but do look tasty nevertheless.
Cheshire and Staffordshire, use currants and raisins in pikelets.

3 minutes ago, EL159 said:

These days given a choice between a "Crumpet", the food item, and "Crumpet" ( money grabbing slags) I ll choose the former. Maybe an age thing !!!

Now. Lets move on to Meat Pies.......!!!

I'll think you'll find thats "Strumpet" not crumpet in that context. ????

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I had a crack tonight, I used Jamie’s “lecipie” ???? that was posted earlier.

I’d glanced over the ingredients and it looked good to go, when I actually started it called for flour by weight... I don’t have scales ????

My measuring cups showed millilitres, so I had a crack @ 300 ml.

Fail, it was pretty runny, a quick look @ the YouTube video also posted earlier showed a thicker mixture, so I freehandded it.

I think it ended up a little thick, so I didn’t get the bubbles rising through the crumpet very well.

They did taste quite good though, (I went with the vegemite &butter) so I’ll have another crack @ it.

Pic of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th batch (Top to bottom)

E40F48DF-BC9E-431E-98B4-422DC0230847.jpeg

Good effort!! I like a bit of Cheshire cheese melted on top.

Ok, I had a crack tonight, I used Jamie’s “lecipie” [emoji1] that was posted earlier.
I’d glanced over the ingredients and it looked good to go, when I actually started it called for flour by weight... I don’t have scales [emoji33]
Fail, it was pretty runny, a quick look @ the YouTube video also posted earlier showed a thicker mixture, so I freehandded it.
I think it ended up a little thick, so I didn’t get the bubbles rising through the crumpet very well.
They did taste quite good though, (I went with the vegemite &butter) so I’ll have another crack @ it.

E40F48DF-BC9E-431E-98B4-422DC0230847.thumb.jpeg.500a3f0dfce16f12342b05f02a68543d.jpeg

18 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Ok, I had a crack tonight, I used Jamie’s “lecipie” ???? that was posted earlier.

I’d glanced over the ingredients and it looked good to go, when I actually started it called for flour by weight... I don’t have scales ????

They look pretty good to me have bought some rings and will have a go

Thanks

17 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Cheshire Cheese ?

Is that like Wostershire Sauce ? ????

More looking by the sounds of it ????????????

Cheshire cheese is a white crumbly cheese sometimes have it in Tops bought some Lancashire cheese in Chiang Mai last week almost identical

The sauce you mention not bad on melted cheese

19 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Ultimate product not so bad at all. 

When will you be taking orders for Chiang Mai delivery?

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Crumpets? My Dad always ate pikelets, I had crumpets, from the same packet.

Ditto.

My understanding is that, officially, pikelets are made without the ring. Same same but different.

As the one who started this post by trying to find where out you can by crumpets I never realized that it would keep going for so long and attract so much interest.

I always believed  that pikelets were a different beast to crumpets but it seems you are spot on.

They are the same made without the ring therefore thinner and crispier at the edges.

According to Google anyway.

Archived