Crumpets

StevieAus

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, pgrahmm said:

OK - got it....Guess crumpets are more like flat bread cooked on one side....

In a month we'll be back in English Muffin land & one of the first things we pick up while re-stocking the RV is Sourdough English Muffins for toasting.....A great way to start the day.....

Never tried a crumpet - I'll look while we're there.....

Crumpets are NOT like flatbread. They are made from a batter containing baking soda, which during the SLOW cooking release CO2 to form bubbles.

Really great with poached eggs on top, so the runny yolk fills the holes..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Warbuton's are the best commercially available. And they do square ones to fit in the toaster.

21 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Cheshire Cheese ?

Is that like Wostershire Sauce ? ????

More looking by the sounds of it ????????????

No, Cheshire Cheese is made from milk, Worcestershire sauce is made from other stuff....read the ingredients. LOL

Cornish Pasties, Bury Black Puddings, Norfolk Turkeys, Aylesbury Ducklings, Eccles Cakes, Staffordshire Oatcakes, ....I wanna go home!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, grollies said:

Or do like Titlia, cut the top and bottom off a can of tuna. Why go out and buy 'egg rings'?

Recycle and all that.

Have you tried cutting a tuna tin. They have ring pull tops these days and the bottom is rounded so the can opener does not work properly. Baked bean cans are OK.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Ultimate product not so bad at all. 

When will you be taking orders for Chiang Mai delivery?

I’ll be over in Patong in April for some more dental then up to Phon Phisai for Songkran, not sure about CM, but if I’m in the neighborhood... ????

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Have you tried cutting a tuna tin. They have ring pull tops these days and the bottom is rounded so the can opener does not work properly. Baked bean cans are OK.

You can cut the top and bottom off a tin of spam. This will give you oblong crumpets, but I calculate that you can fit 4 into a bog standard toaster. Added bonus is that you can dip them in your boiled eggs.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Cheshire cheese is a white crumbly cheese sometimes have it in Tops bought some Lancashire cheese in Chiang Mai last week almost identical

The sauce you mention not bad on melted cheese

Cheshire Cheese sounds a bit like Fetta Cheese ?

A salty taste ?

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Cheshire Cheese sounds a bit like Fetta Cheese ?

A salty taste ?

Sorry, nothing like Fetta. Cheshire is a more solid cheese than Lancashire, and is usually more coloured.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

As the one who started this post by trying to find where out you can by crumpets I never realized that it would keep going for so long and attract so much interest.

I always believed  that pikelets were a different beast to crumpets but it seems you are spot on.

They are the same made without the ring therefore thinner and crispier at the edges.

According to Google anyway.

Steve, I’d always assumed that pikelets were just small pancakes.

I’ve never had pancakes with yeast or baking soda in them, but I’ve also never made pikelets.

Actually, speaking of pancakes, there is no breakfast meal that can compare to Canadian Breakfast... pancakes, bacon, eggs and maple syrup, truely food of the gods ????????

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

4" grinder should do the trick. 

As a bit of an Anglophile I discovered crumpets when I was doing a lot of work in the UK in the 80's. 

There are most definitely not English muffins, which the ones you buy in Thailand, are nothing more than round bread rolls.

I actually buy crumpets online here in the US since I loved them so much.

I'm not actually sure exactly what they are, but I love 'em

15 hours ago, champers said:

I've got a big one!

images.jpeg

I’ve never had Crumpets and bacon/eggs before... never even considered it a thing ????

I threw some on my Crumpets this morning with some maple syrup and am quite impressed, thanks for the recommendation ????????

14 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I’ve never had Crumpets and bacon/eggs before... never even considered it a thing ????

I threw some on my Crumpets this morning with some maple syrup and am quite impressed, thanks for the recommendation ????????

Are you in Thailand if so where did you buy them?

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Are you in Thailand if so where did you buy them?

Bacon, eggs, maple syrup and butter came from woolworths in Darwin, Australia ????

i made the Crumpets on Friday night ????????

????

I live in Darwin mate, waiting on the seemingly never ending process of the Australian Partner Visa for my wife.

its sort of like motor racing... you sit there as hours turn to days/weeks/months and still nothing happens, but I guess that’s for another forum.

5 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Bacon, eggs, maple syrup and butter came from woolworths in Darwin, Australia ????

i made the Crumpets on Friday night ????????

????

I live in Darwin mate, waiting on the seemingly never ending process of the Australian Partner Visa for my wife.

its sort of like motor racing... you sit there as hours turn to days/weeks/months and still nothing happens, but I guess that’s for another forum.

Too far away to help unfortunately, could not come at the maple syrup but each to their own.

Good luck with the visa did that many years ago kept us waiting 2 years but due to a stuff up by whoever issued her tourist visa she was allowed to stay in Aus on a bridging visa until eventually residency was granted.

15 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Sorry, not going for the maple syrup on crumpets. That's just wrong, LOL

I'm a either just plain butter, or melted cheese on crumpet kinda guy

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Vegemite surely ? ????

In the land of Oz, it is honey, vegemite, peanut butter, jam etc, never heard of melted cheese (or bacon and eggs) on Crumpets ????????‍♂️

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Vegemite surely ? ????

In the land of Oz, it is honey, vegemite, peanut butter, jam etc, never heard of melted cheese (or bacon and eggs) on Crumpets ????????‍♂️

Never having tasted vegemite that I can't comment on. In fact the only reason I know the word vegemite is from the 80's song from Men at Work...I come from a land Down Under

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Personally, butter and marmalade. The butter, bacon and egg though looks great, going to try that with HP sauce.

Archived