Transfer of visa from old passport to new

Local immigration require I get a letter from British Embassy in Bangkok to update a visa into my new passport.

Looking on their website it looks like the form can be collected from reception. Do we fill out this form ourselves or have wait to get in done. Local immigration showed me a photocopy of what they want and it seemed like a fill it in yourself job is this correct, cheers

Visa is never transferred into another passport - only permitted to stay/extensions of stay and historic information of the original visa.  Immigration normally requires a letter requesting that be done from the Embassy - for UK is does seem to be DIY form - US Embassy issues with any new passport.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

The letter is to verify that your new passport is indeed genuine.

The letter is from the embassy. You don't fill anything out.

Usually, I make an appointment with the BE the day after I receive my new passport from the Trendy building.

I believe that you can request this letter by email and they will send it to you.

The British Embassy website says you can collect the form from reception till 6pm. No mention of them doing anything or any fees that's why I thought it was  a fill it in yourself job. Need to get this  completed tomorrow so that's why I'm asking for confirmation of what I need to do.

24 minutes ago, chaiyapoon said:

Local immigration require I get a letter from British Embassy in Bangkok to update a visa into my new passport.

Were you not given a proforma letter when you collected your new passport from VFS?

Or did you renew during a trip back to the UK?

Just been thru this with a new Australian passport and then leaving Thailand from Suvarnabhumi Airport. I asked for such a letter from the Oz embassy but they no longer provide them. Instead, they put a stamp in my old passport that says I have a new passport and I filled in the number of the new passport,

Thailand does not transfer Visas by printing/stamping a copy of the visa or visa extension in your new passport. However, they gave me a special stamp that had the number of my old passport and the day they had previously extended my stay when I applied for a retirement extension. Of course, I also got the usual date departed stamp. All this took 10 minutes at the airport but was smooth, polite and seemed routine.

• Thanks 1