Swiss man and Thai wife burgled in Udon Thani

webfact

Swiss man and Thai wife burgled in Udon Thani

11pm.jpg

Picture: 77 JoWo

A Swiss man and his Thai wife pointed to a bedroom window used by burglars to gain entry to their house in the Ban Na Khlong housing estate in Udon Thani.

Hundreds of thousand of baht's worth of goods and cash were stolen in the burglary.

Huay Luang police are investigating after they were called by Swiss national Manfred Raiser, 68 and his Thai wife Monthicha, 58.

Two Swiss bought notebooks worth 35,000 baht each were taken from the bedroom.

Image16(163).jpg

Picture: 77 JoWo

Also missing was 115,000 baht's worth of Swiss francs and Euros and 10,000 baht in Thai money. 

In addition to this the burglars got a 50,000 baht diamond ring and two Swiss ladies' watches worth 17,000 and 25,000 baht respectively. 

The burglary happened on February 1st and was reported by 77Jowo.

A video showed the start of the police investigation - and lots of pointing.

Source: 77JoWo

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-11

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Who in their right mind would have all that money/watches/ computers just lying around?

Would be quite naive.

Why not at least have a safe?

45 minutes ago, anterian said:

Looks like a nice insurance claim coming up.

Not necessarily.

Swiss with a nice pool villa.

May well be that they were naive enough to let that much lye open or in a cabinet.

And the numbers are less than excessive.

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

Swiss ladies' watches worth 17,000 and 25,000 baht respectively.

Cheapo or was it meant Swiss Francs :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Who lives in a house in Thailand without window bar.

I live in a secure housing estate, I have window bars.

I do for one - apart from them looking terrible they are also very dangerous should one have a fire.

Luckily the Mood Baan we live is safe unlike many others in and around Udon

1 minute ago, canopus1969 said:
17 minutes ago, VYCM said:

I do for one - apart from them looking terrible they are also very dangerous should one have a fire.

Luckily the Mood Baan we live is safe unlike many others in and around Udon

Point taken regarding fires and cosmetics.

Fires aren't as common here as much of the house is concrete and brick - not a lot to burn.

I was not too keen on window bars when they were suggested. For a start we don't have too many valuables worth stealing ????

However once fitted they look fine, and, most stand alone houses have them, so no big deal now got used to the look

They are actually only a petty thief prevention method, as professional burglars could get in through the roof, jemmy the door, or in most cases simply take out the screws.bolts on the grill.

However one thing to note, when burgled in London many years ago, the investigating police mentioned that burglars prefer to have more than one exit, should they be disturbed, so the grills a deterrent for keeping them out may also make burglars uneasy regarding their exit options if indeed they were fearful of being interrupted.

16 hours ago, VYCM said:

Me! Custom made ultra skinny modern looking in a solid stack of modified shipping containers with a bunch of dogs, cameras and plenty of real deterrents...

17 hours ago, VYCM said:

Do you have a plan to get out when there is a fire,?

I don't have bars for that reason,would rather lose

some property,than be burnt to a crisp because

I could not get out because of bars on the windows,

property can be replaced,you only get one life.

regards worgeordie

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Do you have a plan to get out when there is a fire,?

I don't have bars for that reason,would rather lose

some property,than be burnt to a crisp because

I could not get out because of bars on the windows,

property can be replaced,you only get one life.

regards worgeordie

Bars are a very useful deterrent to thieves, also cameras.

We have bars on the windows, also bedroom windows covered by camera.

Problem is i think many homes here are just built with no thought given to security, or escape if there is a fire, forward planning is non-existent when building homes, just ohh i like that style, lets build.

18 hours ago, VYCM said:

sound more like a jail cell. i live in a secure housing estate for 10 years no one has had any burglars and no one has bars a few burglar alarms

19 hours ago, anterian said:

Looks like a nice insurance claim coming up.

Even if he claimed unless he specified the notebooks and jewellry separately they are unlikely to be covered at that valuation.

Cash he may not be covered at all irrespective of the amount unless he is paying a small fortune in premiums. 

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

I was not too keen on window bars when they were suggested. For a start we don't have too many valuables worth stealing ????

However once fitted they look fine, and, most stand alone houses have them, so no big deal now got used to the look

They are actually only a petty thief prevention method, as professional burglars could get in through the roof, jemmy the door, or in most cases simply take out the screws.bolts on the grill.

However one thing to note, when burgled in London many years ago, the investigating police mentioned that burglars prefer to have more than one exit, should they be disturbed, so the grills a deterrent for keeping them out may also make burglars uneasy regarding their exit options if indeed they were fearful of being interrupted.

It's one thing that heartens me about Thailand. Thieves tend to be as thick as 2 short planks. No such thing as professional burglars here. How many high end motors get stolen here as opposed to the UK? They just don't have the nous in Thailand.

To be burgled in Thailand, you really have to make it easy for the burglar, who is invariably an opportunist thief. You need to leave your keys in the car, no bars on your windows, leave a window open, door unlocked and advertise the fact. Burglars have usually been told by a third party that your security is lax, you keep cash and valuables in the house and what times you are in/out. The cleaner's son/brother is the usual prime suspect.

In short, even a modicum of awareness will keep you safe in Thailand.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Bars are a very useful deterrent to thieves, also cameras.

We have bars on the windows, also bedroom windows covered by camera.

Problem is i think many homes here are just built with no thought given to security, or escape if there is a fire, forward planning is non-existent when building homes, just ohh i like that style, lets build.

Dress a dummy in cop uniform, and place it on a chair next to the safe.

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but the Swiss bloke didnt have a safe, just left everything on the bed, handy for the thief.

Yes, but it was meant an advise to the Swiss guy, so it won't happen again.???? Could also leave the cop dummy sleeping on that pink pillow..

Archived