Swiss man and Thai wife burgled in Udon Thani

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bars are a very useful deterrent to thieves, also cameras.

We have bars on the windows, also bedroom windows covered by camera.

Problem is i think many homes here are just built with no thought given to security, or escape if there is a fire, forward planning is non-existent when building homes, just ohh i like that style, lets build.

Many homes are built to be homes.not prisons.

18 hours ago, Spidey said:

It's one thing that heartens me about Thailand. Thieves tend to be as thick as 2 short planks. No such thing as professional burglars here. How many high end motors get stolen here as opposed to the UK? They just don't have the nous in Thailand.

To be burgled in Thailand, you really have to make it easy for the burglar, who is invariably an opportunist thief. You need to leave your keys in the car, no bars on your windows, leave a window open, door unlocked and advertise the fact. Burglars have usually been told by a third party that your security is lax, you keep cash and valuables in the house and what times you are in/out. The cleaner's son/brother is the usual prime suspect.

In short, even a modicum of awareness will keep you safe in Thailand.

Seems like a lot of hassle stealing a motor....why not just steal the car? Take the motor out later?

13 hours ago, Ctkong said:

If you have a secured security estate, investing in a good burglar alarm is a worthwhile investment. I have such an alarm with an infra red line beam transmitter receiver security outside all around the house but within the perimeter walls as a first line of defense. The windows and doors are also fitted with magnetic sensors. Other than an occasional false alarm due to lizards triggering the IRbeam, it works fine giving a great sense of security at night. Moreover, any lower floor doors or windows that are left unintentionally opened will reflect on the alarm pad. 

if the man lives in an already secured estate with no issues for 10 years what is the need for your further security systems?

Stuff it I'm going to get a Terminator when they come back from the future again, sick of guard dogs,

9 hours ago, Slugs11 said:

Most aluminium windows/doors bought from the multi/local DIY shops can be open within a very short time, with a crow bar or big screwdriver. It’s worth investing in quality PVC doors/windows with multiple locking points. Expensive compared to the local one’s, however give you peace of mind for security. Also it pays to have couple of big dogs, the Thais are scared of them ????

And they can all be opened with a brick.

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

yer thats what they all say, you said it, like your bragging about it. i been here 19 years never seen inside a police station how did u get your sorry ass in jail for no reason? cos they always locking up innocent farangs right ! ????

From previous posts he said he pushed his wife on her bum after she tried to stab him. 

I guess the cops took a different viewpoint.

Possibly a drunk violent man who picks on women as he sees them as inferior?...as quite a few from the UK seem to be.

Just pure speculation of course. 

I agree somebody probably knew high value items were in the house.

about the 'bars-or-no-bars' debate... you might want to at least put bars on a window when the air conditioner installed below the window provides a highly tempting ledge for climbing in said window.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

From previous posts he said he pushed his wife on her bum after she tried to stab him. 

I guess the cops took a different viewpoint.

Possibly a drunk violent man who picks on women as he sees them as inferior?...as quite a few from the UK seem to be.

Just pure speculation of course. 

A nonsense post, and you havent even got your facts correct, why not visit me and see the scar left by the stabbing.

Once again we have a so-called new member who knows things newbies wouldnt know.

In fact another recycled member, got kicked off, so comes back with a new avatar.

34 minutes ago, colinneil said:

A nonsense post, and you havent even got your facts correct, why not visit me and see the scar left by the stabbing.

Once again we have a so-called new member who knows things newbies wouldnt know.

In fact another recycled member, got kicked off, so comes back with a new avatar.

But the same gob. Should have chosen the forum name "empty head".

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:
On 2/12/2019 at 2:22 PM, VYCM said:

whats there to burn, its all concrete and brick.... a TV, some curtains, my clothes.

they are differently constructed to what we have back home.

Some people have furnitures...

I am quite surprised at how many foreigners are living in houses, in Thailand, without Window Bars.

And more surprised at how many justify this behaviour with house fires.

At the end of the day living here in Thailand, you have more chance of your house flooding than being burnt to the ground due to a house fire.

In Thailand we don’t have floor carpet, the walls are brick/concrete and yes there is the sofa and other items that can burn, generally not big fires as we know as there is very little to burn.

Why don’t all you “anti-window bar” people invest a few hundred baht and buy some smoke sensors as I have done? Yes they get annoying at times when the battery runs low but they can save your life.

Please, do not use house fires as an excuse not to have window bars.

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Please, do not use house fires as an excuse not to have window bars.

Excuse? I will not live in a house with window bars, if the area is so bad they you have to justify bars on your windows - I for one wont be living in that area, I want to look out of my windows at my garden, not through bars! :shock1:

I agree with the "excuse" about fires - I don't have fire insurance, there is not a lot that will burn in my house, we do have smoke alarms in the kitchen ???? 

In my 30 + years in Thailand I have been broken into once, many years ago when I was living in a rental in Pattaya, went out for 20 minutes when we returned thieves had been in the house, the bars that the house had on the windows did nothing to deter them - & that was before the age of the 18v battery operated grinder. :wink:

i live in pattaya, we have had our house burgled when we only had bars on the windows on the first floor and at the time had no dog, also have had 2 motorbikes stolen from us during the day in about 10 minutes, and my mother has been target of robbery twice 1 failed. police was not interested to help in none of the cases. they told us to report to the insurance company. 

Archived