Jump to content
BANGKOK 16 February 2019 06:11
thaiboss

retirement investment

Recommended Posts

I am a retired 64 year old farang in thailand   leaving in thailand  since 30 years .so I  know this thai life very well but now i have a headache due a real estate sale i got 227.000.-- euros ..... can you suggest me what to do or how to invest this money in a thai bank . thats in fact my pension money normal pension is only 25.000.-- thai baht per month. thank you 

Edited by thaiboss
ad two words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some general suggestions for consideration...

 

If its in euros, first consider is it a good time to bring to Thailand with the current exchange rate, and what proportion to convert to THB. use a FCD account depending on you view?

 

Suggest a standalone Fixed Deposit Account with 400K THB (but which can be accessed with loss of interest), reading recent posts.  

 

Don't keep it in one place, or a single bank company!

 

Safe deposit box in the bank with some Gold content keeping the purchase receipts in another safe place (including a photo copy if printed with the disappearing ink)?

 

30 years, wow! Permanent Resident? if so You can look at Mutual funds (incl property funds possibly).  eg. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Tips-and-Insights

 

Oh and update your Thai will appropriately, especially if you have beneficiaries outside Thailand.

 

 

 

Edited by johnwf1963

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am in bangkok since 30 years but not with all the regular visa or permanent residency now i am on retired visa. the problem is ...media say euro is not secured in long term. yes i need advice how to split this money amount . all in thai baht because i will stay now here in thailand no back europe. open foreign  euro currency account in kasikorn and siam or  krungsri ? how much in thai baht how much in euros ? should i buy $$$. buy thai gold option i know thats ok . the headache how to split  amount ???? no risky investment ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only experience with Krungsi FCD, and I like it so far, also if the Euro is on the rise one day, you can use the debit card to draw up to 20kTHB x 5 withdrawals per day.

I suppose you could say GBP is cheap just now, have not tracked the dollar. 

 

I've no idea on what proportion, to put where, I would take a stab at spreading it over 3 banks, with perhaps two different currency FCDs,  + the gold in a safe deposit box, and hope you get the upside of an average return.

 

Since you are in Bangkok, I can say I've always found Bangkok Banks head office at 333 Silom very helpful, Just round the corner from Chong Nonsi BTS, so easy to get to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you won't go back living in Europe, I think it would be safer to convert everything in Thai baht. 

 

There is more to lose on the downside... the euro keeping on sliding... than to win on the upside... the euro going through a miraculous recovery. 

 

Otherwise, a part of the money could be used to buy gold coins, or small bars, as insurance against a rainy day. 

 

Also, it could be wise to increase your limits on your ATM and credit cards, so that in case of emergency, for whatever reason, you could have faster and easier access to your money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you say you intend to stay here, and if you bring it all to Thailand you'll have no issues, but if THB for some reason decided to slide against another currency, then capital controls limit how much you can take out of the country per year.

Would you be interested in putting some in a property to rent out (condo perhaps)?  I've never dealt with property here, but see many offers where they offer you a guaranteed monthly return and someone else deals with the details, and looks a lot better than bank interest.  That said, the prices are usually inflated, so I'd be curious if I could get a property manager on a better priced place (In UK I had a handful of houses and this worked great, but my sister in another part of the country had incidentals almost every month, as if they had a tick list they went through for excuses).

A bit of precious metals sounds like a reasonable choice, and can easily be converted to cash at short notice.  I would say crypto, but if you're at the stage where you're prepared to take less returns in order to lower risk then perhaps that's not appropriate in your particular situation.  Maybe buy 1BTC or something as an outside gamble.  I do believe they'll be worth several hundred thousand dollars within 5 years.

Money in the bank struggles to keep pace with inflation, and some financial products are not available to foreigners.

 

As for quick access to cash, I would factor whether I had health insurance or wanted to take my chances.  I always did the latter, but after a couple of broken bones I got insurance for 20K baht per year (available to Europeans, or any country where they have something like the NHS in case they have to Medivac you home, which keeps the premiums way down for the big ticket issues.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevin612 said:

Do not invest in Thailand.

Perhaps, for the OP and others, you could share what you mean by investment.

 

Example, do you mean don't start a business, or perhaps don't buy shares on the Thai stock exchange?

 

Or....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shiver said:

Bitcoin  I do believe they'll be worth several hundred thousand dollars within 5 years.
 

Would you bet your sausage on it? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps, for the OP and others, you could share what you mean by investment.

 

Example, do you mean don't start a business, or perhaps don't buy shares on the Thai stock exchange?

 

Or....

Or don't get a Thai girlfriend, even if she is on the market, because it is not a safe investment... 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thaiboss said:

I am a retired 64 year old farang in thailand   leaving in thailand  since 30 years .so I  know this thai life very well but now i have a headache due a real estate sale i got 227.000.-- euros ..... can you suggest me what to do or how to invest this money in a thai bank . thats in fact my pension money normal pension is only 25.000.-- thai baht per month. thank you

I am a former head of a Trust Department for a major U.S. bank that handled retirement plans.  There is no way I would invest here in Thailand.  You have the fluctuation of the Baht. lack of any regulatory oversight, and potential instability of the government.  You can open an account such as with Schwab in Singapore and invest in stocks worldwide including the USA.  Right now you can get almost a 7% dividend return on AT&T the worlds largest telephone company and 6% on Royal Dutch.  You have the safety of being invested in U.S. dollars and SIPC insurance on your assets.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shiver said:

I know you say you intend to stay here, and if you bring it all to Thailand you'll have no issues, but if THB for some reason decided to slide against another currency, then capital controls limit how much you can take out of the country per year.

Would you be interested in putting some in a property to rent out (condo perhaps)?  I've never dealt with property here, but see many offers where they offer you a guaranteed monthly return and someone else deals with the details, and looks a lot better than bank interest.  That said, the prices are usually inflated, so I'd be curious if I could get a property manager on a better priced place (In UK I had a handful of houses and this worked great, but my sister in another part of the country had incidentals almost every month, as if they had a tick list they went through for excuses).

A bit of precious metals sounds like a reasonable choice, and can easily be converted to cash at short notice.  I would say crypto, but if you're at the stage where you're prepared to take less returns in order to lower risk then perhaps that's not appropriate in your particular situation.  Maybe buy 1BTC or something as an outside gamble.  I do believe they'll be worth several hundred thousand dollars within 5 years.

Money in the bank struggles to keep pace with inflation, and some financial products are not available to foreigners.

 

As for quick access to cash, I would factor whether I had health insurance or wanted to take my chances.  I always did the latter, but after a couple of broken bones I got insurance for 20K baht per year (available to Europeans, or any country where they have something like the NHS in case they have to Medivac you home, which keeps the premiums way down for the big ticket issues.



 

"Would you be interested in putting some in a property to rent out (condo perhaps)?  I've never dealt with property here, but see many offers where they offer you a guaranteed monthly return and someone else deals with the details, and looks a lot better than bank interest.  "

 

Sure it's an option but this has been offered any times but many cases of the promised returns never materialized.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thaiboss said:

I  know this thai life very well but now i have a headache due a real estate sale i got 227.000.-- euros ..... can you suggest me what to do or how to invest this money in a thai bank .

It's about 8 million baht. Having lived so long time in Thailand and knowing the culture, it makes sense to invest to money in Thailand, if you plan to stay here, to avoid foreign currency fluctuation.

 

You can count on a average of 3 percent annually in dividend or spendable outcome when not taking too big risks, i.e. 30,000 baht per million baht invested, or 240,000 baht a year in your case, which equals 20,000 baht a month.

 

Spreading the investment would make sense. There are for example both so-called Fund Books in the banks. A Fund Book is a mutual fund where you have professionals to take care of your investment, but pay a percentage of the invested capital for that service, typically 1% to 1½% per year. Choose funds that pays a dividend, and that invest i Thai market, to avoid foregn currency fluctuation; i.e. don't invest in overseas mutual funds coverings China, USA and like, if you wish a more steady outcome.

 

Some examples of mutual funds can be found on the banks homepages, I'm using, and familiar, with the following, but most banks might offer this service, so it's not a recommendation for a named bank:

Bangkok Bank Mutual Fund

K-Bank, Kasikorn Asset Management

SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) 

 

You can also place some of your saving in the SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand) stock market, which you can do online through a bank, i.e. using an online platform, which is the cheapest way to invest, but you have to pick the stocks yourself. You can only buy stocks marked NVDR, as these can be held by foreigners (but without voting rights), and they will pay dividend to foreigners.

 

Looking at the usual parameters like P/E (Price/Earning), and dividend policy, and historically paid dividends (not a guarantee for future dividend payments),you can pick some stable stocks that could pay between 3% and up to 5-6% in annual dividends after 10% withholding tax. Dividends will automatically be transferred to you savings account.

 

I'm using SCB-online and is familiar with that Thai platform, which is very easy to register – click on "New Clint, Open New Account" and follow the screen instructions – and fairly simple to use; but there are others, and they are probably equally good.

 

Another possibility is to look into bonds (could be via the bank's Fund Books), or high interest long-term fixed accounts, or a combination, and simply use the savings over time. The calculation is expected life-time combined with interest, or value increase of Fund Books investing in bonds – they don't pay dividend, but are accumulating, and you don't pay tax of the accumulation – so the question is, based on the age of 64, how long a period the savings are going to cover, and what inflation rate you wish to be included?

 

Extremely simple calculation could be 8 million baht over for example 30-years (8,000,000/30 plus some interest), which could pay in the in the range of 300,000 baht a year, or around 25,000 baht a month. But you might wish another order, with periods of higher payouts, and periods you might need less money.

 

Hope this can help you, you're welcome to ask questions about details, if you're interested...🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a bar where the beer is cold ( without ice ) and the bar girls are all good-looking. Buy a share in it, or buy it outright. Keep the current management in place.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shiver said:

As for quick access to cash, I would factor whether I had health insurance or wanted to take my chances.  I always did the latter, but after a couple of broken bones I got insurance for 20K baht per year (available to Europeans, or any country where they have something like the NHS in case they have to Medivac you home, which keeps the premiums way down for the big ticket issues.

Could you elaborate on this insurance pls?

Never heard of such a scheme.

Sounds too good to be real. And I don't know of any country in Europe where they have NHS like healthcare you can just access when needed and without residence status in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...