BANGKOK 17 August 2019 20:31
Tanoshi

Marriage/Retirement - Interpretations explained.

18 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

if 400k is locked up, its 400k less spending,

this is a net loss for thai economy any way you cut it

But isn't it owned by the bank now and they can spend it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, johnjohn2 said:

I was at my immigration office today (Khon Kaen) and was asking questions about this. I showed them my bank book and statements and told them that when I get my money transferred I immediately transfer the bulk of it to my wifes account as she pays all the bills from her account, and if that was a problem? They said no they dont care. As long as I could show the transfer in.

However they did say the transfers have to be Every month of at least the min amount (40/65).

Even if you transferred 1 million baht during those 12 months but missed a month for the min required amount then your out of luck for the income method.

In the past I have transferred my pension quarterly ( I can transfer it monthly if needed) the Immigration officer at Chiang Mai who has processed my retirement extension in recent years stated that’s ok as long as the annual amount is correct and I can show the amounts in the bank book

This is the problem different provinces different interpretations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poohy said:

I have a paid for property here so little outgoings just me wife and dogs leading good but quiet life in a remote area

My bank balance here in Thailand can vary from 2/3 hundred k to 2 million

business cash flows vary so yes when i am under 800k i use an agent ,average balance would be say 250 k

i would never keep a large balance here 

My work is self employed tourism based not  in Thailand i travel reasonably often

In your situation I'd either change to a marriage extension, or get a Non Imm O ME Visa as you travel often.

22 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

In the past I have transferred my pension quarterly ( I can transfer it monthly if needed) the Immigration officer at Chiang Mai who has processed my retirement extension in recent years stated that’s ok as long as the annual amount is correct and I can show the amounts in the bank book

This is the problem different provinces different interpretations.

When were you told that?

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed information, the only point would clarify is:

Item 2.22 Income Extension

"Point 2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy."

Is no longer available from most Embassies from early January this year, the change led to confusion as to what Thai Immigration will require.. As you've stated, proof of transfers to a Thai Bank Account via Bank Statement & Letter from Bank verifying account held... 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

for the 2/7/3 months proof,

Where does the 7 come from?

2 minutes ago, eggers said:

Is no longer available from most Embassies from early January this year, the change led to confusion as to what Thai Immigration will require.. As you've stated, proof of transfers to a Thai Bank Account via Bank Statement & Letter from Bank verifying account held... 

Either a certified letter of income from your Embassy, OR, proof of transfers from overseas to a Thai bank account + bank letter.

For those who can no longer obtain the Embassy letter, then they must provide proof via their Thai bank.

On the other hand if you've been transferring regular monthly incomes to your Thai bank, then you now have the option of supplying proof of income from your local Thai bank, perhaps savings trips to Bangkok and Embassy fees.

Most embassies still issue the letter.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, eggers said:

How many embassies in Thailand?  100?  Only 4 stopped issuing letters. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

for the 2/7/3 months proof,

Where does the 7 come from?

I think he’s referring to the 800/400 min balance periods. Which would be 5/7/2: 5 @ 800K; 7 @ 400K; 2 @ 800K prior to the second year application.

• Thanks 1

Excellent summary and clarifications!  I don’t need to renew my retirement extension until the end of January 2020 but I started my monthly transfers this month so I should be set for next year. I already confirmed with my bank that they can provide the needed letter since the US Embassy doesn’t issue income letters.

• Like 1

My extension is also not due until the end of January 2020. Which bank do have your account with and is it necessary to provide a bank statement, or would a passbook be sufficient?

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I think he’s referring to the 800/400 min balance periods. Which would be 5/7/2: 5 @ 800K; 7 @ 400K; 2 @ 800K prior to the second year application.

But that would be over a 14 month period, not a 12 month period.

Second year application would be 3 anyway.