Marriage/Retirement - Interpretations explained.

16 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Damn! Thank you Ubonjoe. So, I only have the Savanakhet option left? Kap Choeng always tells me they send my documents to Khorat for approval and then I have to go back to Kap Choeng in 30 days to get my stamp.

That would of been Division 4 headquarters that did the approval but they moved to Khon Kaen last year.

16 minutes ago, teetersb said:

I can't come up with the 400 k Baht until January, so I guess I can just do the Savanakhet option every 90 days until next year when I can show 40 k Baht every month, which I just started doing with TransferWise, or 400 k. Any other options for me?

Get the multiple entry non-o in Savannakhet until you can show either 40k baht going into your bank account for few months or you can show 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Ubon Joe, I really appreciate the help. As I said, I just started using TW to show international transfers. Last year I worked at a Thai school from Jan. 1 to June 30 and then started my US SSA benefits. I was unable to get them transferred to my local Bangkok Bank in Prasat because they couldn't understand the document I gave them, so I just kept transferring lumps of money to my BK bank account and then transferring 40 k / month to my Krungthai bank account to show my income. The guy at Kap Choeng wouldn't even look at it. He would only look at how much I had in BK bank. I even told him I was working 6 months and then started collecting social security, but he didn't care.

I will go to Savanakhet, Laos before my Visa expires and do it that way. I will look at the threads about Savanakhet and work it out. I have 30 days until my Visa expires. Kind regards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teetersb said:

Obviously, the Kap Choeng office is not willing to follow the directions set out by the Thai government.

It actually seems like they were holding to the rules. It's up to you to know them and comply.

Good luck.

Edited by jacko45k

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It actually seems like they were holding to the rules. It's up to you to know them and comply.

Good luck.

Actually, they were not holding to the rules, because they never even looked at my Monthly income, only how much money I have in the bank today!

27 minutes ago, teetersb said:

I was unable to get them transferred to my local Bangkok Bank in Prasat because they couldn't understand the document I gave them, so I just kept transferring lumps of money to my BK bank account and then transferring 40 k / month to my Krungthai bank account to show my income.

I assume you might of been trying to direct deposit you SS payments direct to your Bangkok Bank account via there New York branch.

There is info here that you change to Thai. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Actually, they were not holding to the rules, because they never even looked at my Monthly income, only how much money I have in the bank today!

Sorry but I thought you were applying for a marriage extension and would need either 400,000 sitting in the bank for 2 months or income of 40,000 per month? You said you tried to show 125,000 in the bank which obviously is not enough? If you were trying to show income why did you need to show the deposit?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you might of been trying to direct deposit you SS payments direct to your Bangkok Bank account via there New York branch.

There is info here that you change to Thai. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

Wow, this is fantastic info.

I went to their web-site but see no option to open an account on-line.  Can we open an account here in Thailand, say in Khon Kaen, and have it apply there?

TIA

3 minutes ago, ellobo said:

Wow, this is fantastic info.

I went to their web-site but see no option to open an account on-line.  Can we open an account here in Thailand, say in Khon Kaen, and have it apply there?

TIA

Yes, you need to have a Bangkok Bank account somewhere in Thailand, you don't actually need (nor can you get an account at the Bangkok Bank NY Branch).  Money from the US sent to Bangkok Bank NY Branch via the ACH system (using IAT format) will be forwarded from NYC to Thailand where it will be deposited into your local Bangkok Bank branch account.  You can sign up for free SMS notification of when the international transfer is received into your Bangkok Bank local branch account.

There's a lot of information at the link that was posted but you have to expand all under Service Details in order to see it. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If you were trying to show income why did you need to show the deposit?

Correct, I didn't need to show the deposit, but the IO refused to look at my Monthly income statement in Krungthai bank, and only focused on the fact I only had 125,000 Baht in BK bank. That's why I was upset but didn't show my feelings to him. I told him in Thai that I was working at a Thai school and started my SSA retirement in July. He didn't care, or even look at the Krungthai statement! He only looked at how much money I had in the bank. My Bk bankbook showed 1 million Baht going in last year and out because I was remodeling my house. Never even got to the pictures to show that. The new officer is a dick!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ellobo said:

You don't open an account in New York which is not possible anyway. You open a direct deposit account at Bangkok  Bank or change a existing account to one. 

Clicking this on page that posted a link to has about doing it.

image.png.126e9e194fad18aed309cdc15b1534e8.png

• Like 1

Guest StephenB
On 2/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, Tanoshi said:

The commanding officer from Roi Et Immigration and her commanding officer from the regional office in Khon Kaen.

I did get their names, but not a chance of spelling them. :smile:

I'm looking to find a way to call Khon Kaen immigration where all the applications are sitting. I have been under a "application under consideration" stamp that is 11 days past already. If someone looks at my passport it will look like I am on overstay. My wife says there is a pile of papers waiting for the bosses stamp in Khon Kaen. The office I did my application at does not seem to want to put in another "come again" stamp. I'm paranoid at this point. I have done a few extensions over the years, maybe 15+ and this is new to me. Happen one other time years ago and the office gave a re-entry for the "under consideration" stamp since it was taking a while.

3 minutes ago, StephenB said:

'm looking to find a way to call Khon Kaen immigration where all the applications are sitting. I have been under a "application under consideration" stamp that is 11 days past already.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved. The report back date is just that it is not the day the under consideration period ends.

They cannot do a new stamp with a new report back date according to the rules that are in effect now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StephenB said:

I'm looking to find a way to call Khon Kaen immigration where all the applications are sitting. I have been under a "application under consideration" stamp that is 11 days past already. If someone looks at my passport it will look like I am on overstay. My wife says there is a pile of papers waiting for the bosses stamp in Khon Kaen. The office I did my application at does not seem to want to put in another "come again" stamp. I'm paranoid at this point. I have done a few extensions over the years, maybe 15+ and this is new to me. Happen one other time years ago and the office gave a re-entry for the "under consideration" stamp since it was taking a while.

Update:  makes sense now after seeing UbonJoe's explanation above.

I would hope you could get a new "application under consideration" with a new report back date.  I would be nervous without that.  One would hope that if your passport is viewed by any police authority they would be able to contact your immigration office and find out that you are still under consideration, but it would make for a very unpleasant wait for it to get straightened out.  Immigration should understand that and be amenable to giving you a new under consideration date.

Edited by skatewash
Just saw UbonJoe's explanation above. Makes sense now.

35 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I would hope you could get a new "application under consideration" with a new report back date.  I would be nervous without that. 

As I wrote that is not possible for the immigration office to do. As I wrote before the stamp allow him to stay until his extension is approved. Been that way for several years now.

The police could call any immigration office that would confirm what I wrote.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StephenB said:

Roi Et give you an under consideration stamp 30 days beyond the end of your extension renewal date, so if you apply 30 days early before the due date, you are effectively under consideration for 60 days.

You are under consideration until your application is approved or refused, regardless of the original renewal date.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You are under consideration until your application is approved or refused, regardless of the original renewal date.

So a person is allowed to stay until his application is approved, what happens if it is refused wrt permission to stay. Obviously the past one is  history now. 

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So a person is allowed to stay until his application is approved, what happens if it is refused wrt permission to stay. Obviously the past one is  history now. 

If it is not approved a person would be granted 7 days to leave the country.

Very few are disapproved since if there is a problem they contact the applicant to get it sorted out..

• Thanks 2

Transferwise does not always show in your statement or bank book as international transfer. Be careful.

No one I know has been able to find a bank or credit union in America that will do ACH transfers in IAT format. I think SSA can do it. Otherwise you have to use SWIFT wire to BKKNY in order to get it here. Don’t convert the money to baht before you send it if using international swift. It costs a lot more.

Many discussions on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, gregsmithy said:

Can confirm teetersb's comment about  Kap Choeng tried for marriage extension based on income and got the same response. No 400k no get. Full proof of income over 40k per month was provided in the form of bank statements and letter from the bank, all deposits were from outside Thailand and clearly marked as such on the statements and were a pension but they were just not interested as far as they are concerned it is 400k only. Very frustrating that even when you do it the right way you can still get shafted.

Perhaps they need to be shown the amendment to the police order allowing it. Or somebody needs to call 1178 about the problem.

I assume you are from a country that cannot get proof of income from your embassy now. 

The IO pointed me to a document at the front door that showed the first page of the Thai Police order, but I didn't see the 2nd page. the first page says 400 k Baht, the 2nd page shows the 40 kB. I printed  the order out that you provided in another thread, to take but have decided the IO would lose face if I tried now, so I will go to Savanakhet next Tuesday. I will try again in 6 months or so.

Ubonjoe could you please provide a link to the thread about Savanakhet? I have been searching everywhere, but can only find excerpts. I need to plan it now, because I am going to Khorat on Sunday.

Showing them the amendment to the police order is for the braver than me and to be honest I think  it would be of little use because of the loss of face issue..

I am from a country which no longer provides proof of income and I also made sure I had a full 12 months worth of statements backed up by proof of the source of the pension, they are just not interested in looking.

I will use another route but as I said before it just sits uncomfortably when you know you meet the requirements in full and others can get what they want by using agents while not meeting the legal requirements. But as has been said many times before we choose to live here and have to play by their rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gregsmithy said:

Can confirm teetersb's comment about  Kap Choeng tried for marriage extension based on income and got the same response. No 400k no get. Full proof of income over 40k per month was provided in the form of bank statements and letter from the bank, all deposits were from outside Thailand and clearly marked as such on the statements and were a pension but they were just not interested as far as they are concerned it is 400k only. Very frustrating that even when you do it the right way you can still get shafted.

Have they given the same response to retirement extensions based on income?

They may not be aware of the amendment, or they just can't, or don't know, or be bothered to check bank statements.

I total agree with Joe, sometimes you have to make a stand.

Ring the advice line on 1178 or the Hotline on 1155.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gregsmithy said:

Showing them the amendment to the police order is for the braver than me and to be honest I think  it would be of little use because of the loss of face issue..

Then ring 1178 or 1155 (English speaking).

They'll speak to the office.

Actually if you challenge them without belittling or embarrassing them, they show greater respect.

Well, yesterday i went to Korat immigration and talked to them about the Kap Choeng Immigration office situation and as others here on TV have said, they were very helpful. They told me that if I bring them a 1 year Bank report showing my International transfers they will verify it and call the Kap Choeng office and tell them they must process the Visa.

RE; gregsmithy. I don't have time to do that now and I am on my way to Savannakhet today to do the ME Visa tomorrow. I will let you know how that goes when I return to Surin on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1