Marriage/Retirement - Interpretations explained.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, johnjohn2 said:

I was at my immigration office today (Khon Kaen) and was asking questions about this. I showed them my bank book and statements and told them that when I get my money transferred I immediately transfer the bulk of it to my wifes account as she pays all the bills from her account, and if that was a problem? They said no they dont care. As long as I could show the transfer in.

However they did say the transfers have to be Every month of at least the min amount (40/65).

Even if you transferred 1 million baht during those 12 months but missed a month for the min required amount then your out of luck for the income method.

In the past I have transferred my pension quarterly ( I can transfer it monthly if needed) the Immigration officer at Chiang Mai who has processed my retirement extension in recent years stated that’s ok as long as the annual amount is correct and I can show the amounts in the bank book

This is the problem different provinces different interpretations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poohy said:

I have a paid for property here so little outgoings just me wife and dogs leading good but quiet life in a remote area

My bank balance here in Thailand can vary from 2/3 hundred k to 2 million

business cash flows vary so yes when i am under 800k i use an agent ,average balance would be say 250 k

i would never keep a large balance here 

My work is self employed tourism based not  in Thailand i travel reasonably often

In your situation I'd either change to a marriage extension, or get a Non Imm O ME Visa as you travel often.

22 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

In the past I have transferred my pension quarterly ( I can transfer it monthly if needed) the Immigration officer at Chiang Mai who has processed my retirement extension in recent years stated that’s ok as long as the annual amount is correct and I can show the amounts in the bank book

This is the problem different provinces different interpretations.

When were you told that?

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed information, the only point would clarify is:

Item 2.22 Income Extension

"Point 2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy."

Is no longer available from most Embassies from early January this year, the change led to confusion as to what Thai Immigration will require.. As you've stated, proof of transfers to a Thai Bank Account via Bank Statement & Letter from Bank verifying account held... 

2 minutes ago, eggers said:

Is no longer available from most Embassies from early January this year, the change led to confusion as to what Thai Immigration will require.. As you've stated, proof of transfers to a Thai Bank Account via Bank Statement & Letter from Bank verifying account held... 

Either a certified letter of income from your Embassy, OR, proof of transfers from overseas to a Thai bank account + bank letter.

For those who can no longer obtain the Embassy letter, then they must provide proof via their Thai bank.

On the other hand if you've been transferring regular monthly incomes to your Thai bank, then you now have the option of supplying proof of income from your local Thai bank, perhaps savings trips to Bangkok and Embassy fees.

Most embassies still issue the letter.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, eggers said:

How many embassies in Thailand?  100?  Only 4 stopped issuing letters. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

for the 2/7/3 months proof,

Where does the 7 come from?

I think he’s referring to the 800/400 min balance periods. Which would be 5/7/2: 5 @ 800K; 7 @ 400K; 2 @ 800K prior to the second year application.

• Thanks 1

Excellent summary and clarifications!  I don’t need to renew my retirement extension until the end of January 2020 but I started my monthly transfers this month so I should be set for next year. I already confirmed with my bank that they can provide the needed letter since the US Embassy doesn’t issue income letters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I think he’s referring to the 800/400 min balance periods. Which would be 5/7/2: 5 @ 800K; 7 @ 400K; 2 @ 800K prior to the second year application.

But that would be over a 14 month period, not a 12 month period.

Second year application would be 3 anyway.

11 minutes ago, statman78 said:

Excellent summary and clarifications!  I don’t need to renew my retirement extension until the end of January 2020 but I started my monthly transfers this month so I should be set for next year. I already confirmed with my bank that they can provide the needed letter since the US Embassy doesn’t issue income letters.

My extension is also not due until the end of January 2020. Which bank do have your account with and is it necessary to provide a bank statement, or would a passbook be sufficient?

On 2/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, overherebc said:

800,000 for 2 months before and three after total 5.

3 months before following renewel would total 8 months and leave 4 months at 400,000.  For subsequent years it would be 3 before and 3 after plus 3 before the next so 9 months at 800,000 and 3 at 400,000. You would have to have income for living during the 800,000 baht months obviously.

The THB 8oo K

First year 2 months before applying and 3 months after  =  5 months 

next and years after 3 months before applying and 3 months after  = 6 months 

where do you get 8 and or 9 months from ? pulled them out off you're hat??

3 minutes ago, Samyan said:

My extension is also not due until the end of January 2020. Which bank do have your account with and is it necessary to provide a bank statement, or would a passbook be sufficient?

Depends if your passbook is updated regularly and the codes clearly reflect an overseas deposit. 

Even a local bank statement may not clearly define deposits as from a foreign source, because most transfers go through a separate channel before hitting your local account.

Immigration advised to get statements from the HQ of your branch.

This is something everyone is going to have to check with their own bank/branch.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, Tanoshi said:

4 weekly is fine, for one month you'll have 2 monthly deposits.

The UK pay the state pensions every 4 weeks.

But for 11 of the months the deposits could be less than 65K.

Edited by AAArdvark
typo

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

The THB 8oo K

First year 2 months before applying and 3 months after  =  5 months 

next and years after 3 months before applying and 3 months after  = 6 months 

where do you get 8 and or 9 months from ? pulled them out off you're hat??

Read the thread, not just one post and you will see where I said oops.

It still means that on your first application and moving on to your second spreads over 14 months, not just 12.

2 before 3 after approval then 3 before your 2nd, with 6 months at 400,000, then for subsequent extensions it fits 6 and 6.

1 minute ago, AAArdvark said:

But for 11 of the months the deposits could be less that 65K.

No, a minimum of 65K per month throughout the year.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month

Just now, overherebc said:

Read the thread, not just one post and you will see where I said oops.

It still means that on your first application and moving on to your second spreads over 14 months, not just 12.

2 before 3 after approval then 3 before your 2nd, with 6 months at 400,000, then for subsequent extensions it fits 6 and 6.

Sorry didn't see the Oops  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Most Chinese aren't on retirement or marriage extensions.

Not yet... My guess is the rule changes we are seeing are preventative measure to the sunami of creative Chinese visa agents Thailand will see in the near future... :coffee1:

On 2/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, Maestro said:

Thank you. That clears it up for the – unnamed – immigration office to whose officials you talked. Let's hope that the officials at other immigration offices have an equally good understanding and interpretation of the new procedures.

Excellent post, but I do not think that there will ever be a time when all Thai immigration offices

go by the same rules or interpretation of the rules.

• Like 1

It still isn’t consistent for retirees because by stipulating promises there are bound to be some IOs who will use that as reason to check that the promise has been kept during the period of the extension. Some posters have already suggested that this should be the case!
To be consistent every requirement should be something which can be proved. Immigration accepts that you had an income during the previous twelve months and grants an extension, there is no promise that you will continue to have it. Hitherto Immigration has accepted that you have had 800,000 Bt before and at the time of requesting an extension. If monthly nausea is to be avoided the extension should be maintained on that. Subsequent extensions are then still subject to past performance.
I know that this is logical but it has to be stated because it is not the logic that everybody will use.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, Tanoshi said:

If you mean an extension renewal this year, then leniency and discretion will be used, but I think there expecting the word to get around and would at least expect you to show some effort towards meeting the full requirement for 2020 renewals.

You still be required to show 800K in your Thai bank account for 3 months prior to your application this year anyway, unless your a first time applicant.

Discretion from a Thai IO can mean anything, absolutely anything.

• Like 1