Married,? Then marriage extension far better

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

The marriage extension is more work, because you have to go to Immigration 2 times and some more copies. So let's say the more hassle is really only that you have to go to Immigration a second time.

Plan on 4 times, at a minimum.  If it only takes 2, be pleasantly surprised.

33 minutes ago, joe999 said:

The nice lady suggested for me to switch to retirement extension, had enough $ in the bank and I'm over 50 now.

Got extension on the spot, no more 2nd visit to get passport stamped and no need to have officers visiting you at your home before extension is granted.

Getting you to switch is the point of most of those "new things" added each time.  That is not to say the local-office made up the new demands - most could well be coming from the district-office, aiming for either "less work to do" (they don't have to approve "retirement" extensions) or "agent-money envelopes" to compensate for their efforts. 

38 minutes ago, joe999 said:

Went to make my extension last week for marriage, all docs in duplicate, color pics and all... suddenly need to get the same marriage registration certificate from local district office stamped with current date!!!

Know as a Kor Ror 22. It confirms since marriage there is no record of divorce.

40 minutes ago, joe999 said:

Got extension on the spot, no more 2nd visit to get passport stamped and no need to have officers visiting you at your home before extension is granted.

Hope your aware of the new orders re financials for retirement extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why bother with marriage extensions? Why not simply do a 90 day out/in? It's free (except maybe for a visa fee for the country you exit to). No paperwork, no money in the bank, no immigration office to deal with. It's worked for me for at least 20 years.

Cost as in travel to obtain visa and make border crossings but agree for some it makes sense (frequent travelers, foreign workers and those wanting a short vacation or living near border).  You also avoid the nonsense 90 day reporting and immigration visits for extension/paperwork.  

On 2/11/2019 at 6:04 PM, GeorgeCross said:

"Married,? Then marriage extension far better"

maybe it should be? we are here for more than just the 'fun' after all

"Its not going to be fun time in immigration soon."

its only a culture shock the first year, after that its 'same, same, new photos..'

just make an extra copy of your docs for next time & update the photos, simples

5 years running for me so far and not one extra doc needed. its not that bad, easier than the pile i have to deliver for my wife's UK tourist visa anyway!

I was asked to create entirely new documents this time. New images, new everything. The marriage visa can be a nightmare. It seems to depend on which office, and the officer you end up getting. The only improvement this year, was they let us bring a witness statement, rather than dragging a Thai friend to the office, to testify in person. It is still a 60 page file. It is still utterly nonsensical, for a renewal. The retirement visa is far easier. My friend got his in 30 minutes. After three hours, an initial rejection due to one copy being not up to standards, and my persistent rejection of the officers argument, and insistence that she get the top dog involved, did they finally process the file. It took three hours. And another month for final approval in Bangkok. Pure silliness, surliness, and inane paperwork. 

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Can you detail all the extra paperwork involved please, as opposed to the retirement extension.

From my own experience yesterday (posted on another thread), they wanted

Copy of the marriage certificate.

Update of marriage registration certificate

Copy of my wifes' id

Copy of her housebook

Copies of the childrens birth certificates

Copies of the childrens Thai id

Copies of the childrens housebook registration

(The children are adults and don't live with us so it wasn't just a case of photo-copying an extra page in the wife's book)

Looking at that list I'm sure some people will wonder why I don't go down the retirement route and the answer is that I can see a time coming when retirement visas get much more difficult to obtain.

If that does happen, I can see a scenario whereby people on retirement visas try to change to marriage visas and then (given the mentality that I've encountered at the immigration office) the immigration officer asks why weren't they on a marriage visa from the start if they are really married followed by lots of hoop jumping.

(Maybe I just think too much)

• Like 1

From my own experience yesterday (posted on another thread), they wanted

Copy of the marriage certificate.

Update of marriage registration certificate

Copy of my wifes' id

Copy of her housebook

Copies of the childrens birth certificates

Copies of the childrens Thai id

Copies of the childrens housebook registration

(The children are adults and don't live with us so it wasn't just a case of photo-copying an extra page in the wife's book)

Looking at that list I'm sure some people will wonder why I don't go down the retirement route and the answer is that I can see a time coming when retirement visas get much more difficult to obtain.

If that does happen, I can see a scenario whereby people on retirement visas try to change to marriage visas and then (given the mentality that I've encountered at the immigration office) the immigration officer asks why weren't they on a marriage visa from the start if they are really married followed by lots of hoop jumping.

(Maybe I just think too much)
Sorry if this sounds rude ,but are the children yours by msrriage,or your bialogical children and if yours by marriage are they legally adopted? Because it must make a difference at immigration

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why bother with marriage extensions? Why not simply do a 90 day out/in? It's free (except maybe for a visa fee for the country you exit to). No paperwork, no money in the bank, no immigration office to deal with. It's worked for me for at least 20 years.

I always did my in Penang,  with a year you get 15 months.  It's not free though,  the initial visa is 5.500 plus you got travel and hotel etc.... border runs can be cheap depending where you are.  yes the great advantage  is not having to deal with little Hitler's at immigration that don't like the colour of shirt in your picture  or some other nonsense 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Sorry if this sounds rude ,but are the children yours by msrriage,or your bialogical children and if yours by marriage are they legally adopted? Because it must make a difference at immigration

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No offence taken, they are my biological children.

• Like 1

We were given a list of requirements from Phetchabun yesterday and were being encouraged to change from retirement to marriage next year. They said that it is only more work for the first year but that is different from what we read here. Their list (no children) has 10 x 2 copies and 2 original forms.

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Your header says Marriage Ext. is "far better".. but you do not go on to say.. why it is?

In fact, it looks like the opposite to me ...and even to yourself as you go on to say

- First of all, less money in the bank.  Now, 400.000 on an account, which will be  'lost ' ( well, to the wife that is..) when I pass away, instead of 800.000 ( so more to invest now ). Paperwork is no hassle at all, marriage registration certificate from local district office stamped... just send the wife.  And 2 times visit the TM office in Phang Nga, not bad at all, lovely ride and the trip is a breeze, just prepare the right documents. 

- Second;  on a marriage Ext.  ; can work, , have a work permit on it. Always good to make some money here in LOS. 

I often wonder about the acumen of guys who fall to pieces when confronted with a marriage extension.  Some of them are wound pretty tight anyway, and loose their shit in a red-faced stream of expletives which, quite frankly, takes longer than simply shutting up, follow the stupid checklist and you'll be done in no time.

Even with the repetition and areas for improvement, it still ain't that hard. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

I often wonder about the acumen of guys who fall to pieces when confronted with a marriage extension.  Some of them are wound pretty tight anyway, and loose their shit in a red-faced stream of expletives which, quite frankly, takes longer than simply shutting up, follow the stupid checklist and you'll be done in no time.

Even with the repetition and areas for improvement, it still ain't that hard. ????

Sorry, but that is NOT how it is at offices where they are pushing for agent-money.   If you bring everything listed above, you WILL NOT get an extension based on marriage.  That is just the start of the hell: 

• The pics will be changed every year, to hassle you into at least a 2nd visit (hope you and wife don't have a job where you needed to be). 
  • If you rent, you will need landlord-docs, which the landlord will not want to give you, because the long list seems like a request which could only be used to defraud them, and which makes no sense in the context of immigration (they are correct - has nothing to do with your marriage).
  • Your wife will be interrogated - rudely - treated like a traitor for having married you - leaving her shaken and angry.
  • You will be treated as a non-person.
  • They may violate the terms of money-seasoning, making you keep it longer than proscribed in the rules.
  • If your income is not "from a govt pension," that will be disallowed.

In short, unless your application is presented with an agent-bribe (reportedly 80% of the agent's "fee"), they will do their best to make your life a living hell for not paying them their corruption-money.

Just now, JackThompson said:

Sorry, but that is NOT how it is at offices where they are pushing for agent-money.   If you bring everything listed above, you WILL NOT get an extension based on marriage.  That is just the start of the hell: 

• The pics will be changed every year, to hassle you into at least a 2nd visit (hope you and wife don't have a job where you needed to be). 
  • If you rent, you will need landlord-docs, which the landlord will not want to give you, because the long list seems like a request which could only be used to defraud them, and which makes no sense in the context of immigration (they are correct - has nothing to do with your marriage).
  • Your wife will be interrogated - rudely - treated like a traitor for having married you - leaving her shaken and angry.
  • You will be treated as a non-person.
  • They may violate the terms of money-seasoning, making you keep it longer than proscribed in the rules.
  • If your income is not "from a govt pension," that will be disallowed.

In short, unless your application is presented with an agent-bribe (reportedly 80% of the agent's "fee"), they will do their best to make your life a living hell for not paying them their corruption-money.

OK, great, thanks, I've read that several times in other threads you've pasted it into. 

What are the more well known offices where this is likely to happen?  Does everyone get the same treatment?  Or do dodgy I/Os suss out soft targets from the crowd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

What are the more well known offices where this is likely to happen?  Does everyone get the same treatment?  Or do dodgy I/Os suss out soft targets from the crowd.

Jomtiem is rumoured to be on that list, most people can only speak of the one office they use. The retirement Extensions customers seem to get treated better. Likely they push until you either cave or they are sick of the sight of you and all those useless pictures. 

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Sorry to be a "one note song" on this issue - but I keep finding people making posts that imply those of us who were put through the wringer and/or denied are just a bunch of idiots who cannot put a stack of papers together.  Folks do not realize that, because their one office treats them ok, not all others do.

My report of issues, substantiated by others, is the Jomtien office.  Bangkok CW used to be OK, but have begun extending the seasoning for "in the bank" qualifiers by 1 or 2 months extra.  I cannot recall all the other problem offices off the top of my head, but Rayong comes to mind.  More "issues"will be encountered with the "Non-O Stamp" pre-qualifying step, at some offices.

I do marriage extensions at Jomtien, haven't encountered any of the things you list. 

Renting or landlord docs are required for retire or marriage extension, no real difference there. Showing income the rules are the same, most are still using income letters.

I cant recall anyone being rude to wife or an interrogation, I recall they were chatting about where wife got her sunglasses from.

I have found lots of guys enquire about a marriage extn and when immigration suggests a retire extension is easier, they take that as a refusal of a marriage extension.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hanssna said:

- First of all, less money in the bank.  Now, 400.000 on an account, which will be  'lost ' ( well, to the wife that is..) when I pass away, instead of 800.000 ( so more to invest now ). Paperwork is no hassle at all, marriage registration certificate from local district office stamped... just send the wife.  And 2 times visit the TM office in Phang Nga, not bad at all, lovely ride and the trip is a breeze, just prepare the right documents. 

- Second;  on a marriage Ext.  ; can work, , have a work permit on it. Always good to make some money here in LOS. 

Also less requirement for a Thai company setup, less capital and employees. More of a path towards PR/citizenship. 

• Like 1