BANGKOK 23 March 2019 07:42
ivor bigun

Married,? Then marriage extension far better

Just read that someone had a problem doing just that and now he got neither the marriage nor retirement visa (yes yes, I know it’s not called a visa but you know what I’m talking about)

• Thanks 2

Just read that someone had a problem doing just that and now he got neither the marriage nor retirement visa (yes yes, I know it’s not called a visa but you know what I’m talking about)
Gyes i read that as well ,what office was it?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why bother with marriage extensions? Why not simply do a 90 day out/in? It's free (except maybe for a visa fee for the country you exit to). No paperwork, no money in the bank, no immigration office to deal with. It's worked for me for at least 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

The marriage extension is more work, because you have to go to Immigration 2 times and some more copies. So let's say the more hassle is really only that you have to go to Immigration a second time.

Plan on 4 times, at a minimum.  If it only takes 2, be pleasantly surprised.

33 minutes ago, joe999 said:

The nice lady suggested for me to switch to retirement extension, had enough $ in the bank and I'm over 50 now.

Got extension on the spot, no more 2nd visit to get passport stamped and no need to have officers visiting you at your home before extension is granted.

Getting you to switch is the point of most of those "new things" added each time.  That is not to say the local-office made up the new demands - most could well be coming from the district-office, aiming for either "less work to do" (they don't have to approve "retirement" extensions) or "agent-money envelopes" to compensate for their efforts. 

38 minutes ago, joe999 said:

Went to make my extension last week for marriage, all docs in duplicate, color pics and all... suddenly need to get the same marriage registration certificate from local district office stamped with current date!!!

Know as a Kor Ror 22. It confirms since marriage there is no record of divorce.

40 minutes ago, joe999 said:

Got extension on the spot, no more 2nd visit to get passport stamped and no need to have officers visiting you at your home before extension is granted.

Hope your aware of the new orders re financials for retirement extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why bother with marriage extensions? Why not simply do a 90 day out/in? It's free (except maybe for a visa fee for the country you exit to). No paperwork, no money in the bank, no immigration office to deal with. It's worked for me for at least 20 years.

Cost as in travel to obtain visa and make border crossings but agree for some it makes sense (frequent travelers, foreign workers and those wanting a short vacation or living near border).  You also avoid the nonsense 90 day reporting and immigration visits for extension/paperwork.  

On 2/11/2019 at 6:04 PM, GeorgeCross said:

"Married,? Then marriage extension far better"

maybe it should be? we are here for more than just the 'fun' after all

"Its not going to be fun time in immigration soon."

its only a culture shock the first year, after that its 'same, same, new photos..'

just make an extra copy of your docs for next time & update the photos, simples

5 years running for me so far and not one extra doc needed. its not that bad, easier than the pile i have to deliver for my wife's UK tourist visa anyway!

I was asked to create entirely new documents this time. New images, new everything. The marriage visa can be a nightmare. It seems to depend on which office, and the officer you end up getting. The only improvement this year, was they let us bring a witness statement, rather than dragging a Thai friend to the office, to testify in person. It is still a 60 page file. It is still utterly nonsensical, for a renewal. The retirement visa is far easier. My friend got his in 30 minutes. After three hours, an initial rejection due to one copy being not up to standards, and my persistent rejection of the officers argument, and insistence that she get the top dog involved, did they finally process the file. It took three hours. And another month for final approval in Bangkok. Pure silliness, surliness, and inane paperwork.