Married,? Then marriage extension far better

10 hours ago, myshem said:

Any extension is only needed for people who are too lazy to cross a border every 3 months and I find it ridiculous, so people just deserve all the troubles that happen when visiting immigrat.

Total nonsense (biting tongue).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, myshem said:

Any extension is only needed for people who are too lazy to cross a border every 3 months and I find it ridiculous, so people just deserve all the troubles that happen when visiting immigrat.

If you travel somewhere else anyway, then this is perfect. Means you travel outside more often than every 3 months.

But if you cross the border only for the additional 3 months, then I think up to you. I would say the extension is less hassle than to cross the border every 3 month, and 1 time per year have to make a new visa again.

I for myself not want to go somewhere because my 3 months are up. I want travel somewhere else because I want visit that country or city! With the extension I not have to urge to cross a border. I cross the border when I really want travel somewhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, myshem said:

An Extension is designed for people who wish to stay (semi) permanently in Thailand with annual renewals. A Visa (with 90 day border runs if required)  is designed for people to stay temporarily in Thailand for up to one year.

Tourist/non O style visas are not designed to allow permanent stay by continually obtaining new visas. Although immigration are quite relaxed about it and tend to allow it at the moment, should continual use of those visas to stay long term (especially with the new extension rules) increase, they are likely to enforce restrictions on entering Thailand and insist people, who want to stay here long term, obtain an extension or long term (elite style) visa to do so.

As with the new extension changes, once again the result will be those using visas and border runs to abuse/get round the immigration rules will cause restrictions and once again make it more difficult for people using the system correctly. 

Edited by sumrit

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

insist people, who want to stay here long term, obtain an extension or long term (elite style) visa to do so.

There are valid reasons for both options.  Those married to Thai and working in another country would have great difficulty even obtaining an extension of stay as only here a few weeks at a time.

If you travel somewhere else anyway, then this is perfect. Means you travel outside more often than every 3 months.

But if you cross the border only for the additional 3 months, then I think up to you. I would say the extension is less hassle than to cross the border every 3 month, and 1 time per year have to make a new visa again.

I for myself not want to go somewhere because my 3 months are up. I want travel somewhere else because I want visit that country or city! With the extension I not have to urge to cross a border. I cross the border when I really want travel somewhere.

Agree, I travel 4- 5 times a months. My thai wife lives and works in the EU so we have no choice for an extension without cheating the system.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

There are valid reasons for both options.  Those married to Thai and working in another country would have great difficulty even obtaining an extension of stay as only here a few weeks at a time.

In that instance they wouldn't be living permanently in Thailand would they. If they are visiting part of the time the visa system is for them, unless they could fit their visits in with an annual extension which could be cheaper and more convenient.

In that instance they wouldn't be living permanently in Thailand would they. If they are visiting part of the time the visa system is for them, unless they could fit their visits in with an annual extension which could be cheaper and more convenient.

No true at least for me. I am living permanently all year in Thailand, but my wife not. The extension is not cheaper when you need a reentry permit

26 minutes ago, wobalt said:
53 minutes ago, sumrit said:

No true at least for me. I am living permanently all year in Thailand, but my wife not. The extension is not cheaper when you need a reentry permit

I did say COULD be cheaper. I was comparing the cost of somebody staying in Thailand on a one year non O visa (5k baht?) plus the cost of any border runs (possible 2k baht each) you might have to make with the cost of an extension (1900 baht) and re-entry permit (3800/1000 baht). An extension with three trips abroad (3 x 1000 baht re-entry permits) is still cheaper than one non O visa alone.

Depending on your personal circumstances you could well be in the minority and the exception to my example.

Edited by sumrit

I did say COULD be cheaper. I was comparing the cost of somebody staying in Thailand on a one year non O visa (5k baht?) plus the cost of any border runs (possible 2k baht each) you might have to make with the cost of an extension (1900 baht) and re-entry permit (3800/1000 baht). An extension with three trips abroad (3 x 1000 baht re-entry permits) is still cheaper than one non O visa alone.

Depending on your personal circumstances you could well be in the minority and the exception to my example.

Cost of travel to immigration for 90 days reports?

3 minutes ago, wobalt said:

Most people do not have to travel to immigration to do 90 day reports as can do online for many - others can do by mail for about 50 baht or less.  It serves no useful purpose IMHO but costs immigration more to process than for most of those reporting.

Edited by lopburi3

21 minutes ago, wobalt said:

If you're out of the country you don't do any 90 day reports, if you're in Thailand when the report is due it's only a trip to your local Immigration Office, OR the cost of a stamp to post it, OR free if you do it on line.

Sorry, Lopburi3 has already replied.........I'd forgotten to hit 'submit reply'

Edited by sumrit

If you're out of the country you don't do any 90 day reports, if you're in Thailand when the report is due it's only a trip to your local Immigration Office, OR the cost of a stamp to post it, OR free if you do it on line.

My office is more than 100 km away . Post office more than 20 km. Online upcountry often not working, so you have travel costs, may e you need a hotel + you can’t work during these days, lost is depending on your daily fees.

13 minutes ago, wobalt said:

My office is more than 100 km away . Post office more than 20 km. Online upcountry often not working, so you have travel costs, may e you need a hotel + you can’t work during these days, lost is depending on your daily fees.

100 km from Immigration, 20 km from a post Office, internet not working (unless you're replying to posts on Thai Visa) ......... where abouts do you actually live in Thailand?

Agree, I travel 4- 5 times a months. My thai wife lives and works in the EU so we have no choice for an extension without cheating the system.

Just seen this earlier post of yours. If you are out of the country that often you would never do a 90 day report anyway. The distance you are complaining about is irrelevant.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

Just seen this earlier post of yours. If you are out of the country that often you would never do a 90 day report anyway. The distance you are complaining about is irrelevant.

It is relevant when you theoretically compare extension costs with visa costs. Yes practically you are correct , in more than 25 years I have never done any report