Future forward leader says he's ready to oppose a military coup

snoop1130

Future forward leader says he's ready to oppose a military coup

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

IMG_20181001_105321-696x522.jpg

Future Forward leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit speaks in October at the party headquarters in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit said Monday he is ready to oppose a military coup after rumors spread that another one was in the making.

Though the military regime quickly dispelled the Sunday evening rumor today, Thanathorn – a prime ministerial candidate – said at about 1pm that he had assigned his party’s intelligence team to closely monitor the political situation, as some fear elections scheduled for March 24 may not take place.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/02/11/thanathorn-says-hes-ready-to-oppose-a-military-coup/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-11

7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit said Monday he is ready to oppose a military coup after rumors spread that another one was in the making.

Nothing to worry about...they're just practicing.

Why the need for another coup? Prayuth had the constitution re-written. It assured there would be 250 pro army senators for a long time into the future. Now, he conspired to have his primary opponent removed, no doubt. This country is in such bad shape politically, due to this arrogant and grossly incompetent fool, that there is no need for a coup. What we are witnessing right now is more or less the result of a coup. The army needs to be removed from power, by whatever means necessary. They are the worst thing that has happened to this nation, since the yellow shirts came to power. We all know how well that went.

20 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

the last few days' events may cause political instability

and therefore a cancellation of elections

that's my take

Yes, I tend to think that the election will be 'postponed', as the atmosphere will be deemed insufficiently at peace and insufficiently stable at the present time. 

But even if it goes ahead, the military powers will still run/maintain control of the 'government' subsequently.

As much as I like Thanathorn and would vote for him and his party, if I could, it does sound rather grandiloquent and pretentious of him to be speaking of his 'intelligence team' - as though he were already some massive Government machine, with agents all over the place, sifting and analysing the millions of pieces of secret data that they have obtained!

Delusions of grandeur already? I hope not.

As much as I like Thanathorn and would vote for him and his party, if I could, it does sound rather grandiloquent and pretentious of him to be speaking of his 'intelligence team' - as though he were already some massive Government machine, with agents all over the place, sifting and analysing the millions of pieces of secret data that they have obtained!

He just wants to win votes look cool don't hold it against him. At least he did not say he would be shoulder to shoulder with protesters.

A famous PM said that but was gone as a coward when it actually happened.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

He should fit right in.

It would be nice to think that the voting against any military or military-associated party would be so overwhelming that even THEY would feel obliged to return (permanently) to barracks.

Well, I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?

Just now, mfd101 said:

It would be nice to think that the voting against any military or military-associated party would be so overwhelming that even THEY would feel obliged to return (permanently) to barracks.

Yes, it sounds great. Can I have a bottle of whatever you've been drinking, ha ha!

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, it sounds great. Can I have a bottle of whatever you've been drinking, ha ha!

2 glasses of a rather nice Aussie red. Can't quite remember what it was (but twice the price of what it would have been there).

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, it is very disappointing, isn't it? Today I was talking to a Thai friend who lives and works in the deep south of Thailand (he is moderately well educated, as are his friends): he told me that he and his whole group of friends at work are definitely going to vote for Prayut.

Oh dear!

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, it is very disappointing, isn't it? Today I was talking to a Thai friend who lives and works in the deep south of Thailand (he is moderately well educated, as are his friends): he told me that he and his whole group of friends at work are definitely going to vote for Prayut.

Oh dear!

Sad really. A bit like the Usofan South ...

Well after the events on Friday he is now the only one most young Thai people- who want real change - will vote for.

It is refreshing to read his posts and watch him on Facebook dismantling the military piece by piece with great ideas and actual numbers - not just empty promises.

The other day live on TV he made the anti-Democrat Abhisit look like a little school boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Oh dear!

...and I have alternative facts. (????) Just back from down there myself, and spoke to quite a few southern 'shitshovellers' in 3rd Class, good people, all. They weren't keen on Prayuth at all...

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Oh dear!

I had a similar conversation with my wife the other day, to my considerable surprise. I don't think she's ever voted in her life. But when the surprise candidate was suddenly disqualified the other day, I asked her if she was disappointed because she would have supported her (my wife being a fan of Thai daras and celebrities above all else).

And my wife replied, no, she would support Prayut. And when I asked why, her response was, she's happy with the "peace and stability" that the current regime has provided. Not too many people killing each other and throwing bombs in Bangkok anymore (well, except for the guys upcountry who end up in the river with concrete blocks inserted into their guts).

I understand her point. But I wasn't going to start a discussion on all the other reasons that a thinking person might have a different view, because there wouldn't have been any point to that.  Some people are willing to surrender their freedoms and self-governance for the sake of "security."

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why the need for another coup? Prayuth had the constitution re-written. It assured there would be 250 pro army senators for a long time into the future. Now, he conspired to have his primary opponent removed, no doubt. This country is in such bad shape politically, due to this arrogant and grossly incompetent fool, that there is no need for a coup. What we are witnessing right now is more or less the result of a coup. The army needs to be removed from power, by whatever means necessary. They are the worst thing that has happened to this nation, since the yellow shirts came to power. We all know how well that went.

LOL. What a difference 5 years has made. I got a long forum suspension for criticizing the PM and coup (not long after it took place and kind words in comparison to your assessment), and these days it's regular forum chit chat.

8 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Well after the events on Friday he is now the only one most young Thai people- who want real change - will vote for.

It is refreshing to read his posts and watch him on Facebook dismantling the military piece by piece with great ideas and actual numbers - not just empty promises.

The other day live on TV he made the anti-Democrat Abhisit look like a little school boy.

Last night debates he came out clearly the most vocal, and intelligent.. He scored some home runs with the 'My Father' lines too.. Paiboon with his religious overtones came out like a dinosaur.. Sudarat came out fairly well, shes clearly playing to the healthcare policy she implemented but to me its not new ideas, new thinking plus her smug smile was off putting (personally).. Abhisit, who I want to like also appeared pretty old school establishment, nothing special or appealing. 

To me Future forward Thanathorn was the winner by a country mile.. Hard to gauge twitter as its a young audience but would say the #ไทยรัฐเลือกตั้ง62 #เลือกตั้ง62 conclude the same.. 

Only my speculation , but latest nomination and later disapproval may have been due to some threats or promises made/broken.

perhaps because of this , there is a rift within armed forces which may be the reason for coup talks/fears

all involved have been rather silent on the matter which is somewhat worrying 

Good points made here - here is another take from a Thai friend of mine:

He said we are now certain after Friday’s events that Prayuth and his cronies will steal the election that’s for sure.

He said ok let him govern and he will fail miserably - without 44 and threatening the opposition he will not survive 4 years.

He will be exposed and instead of governing he will throw one tantrum after the other when the press and the internet call him out and he and his government will be constantly entangled in law suits unable to govern.

I mean bad enough with all the special powers - what has this “government” actually achieved in 5 years ?

Oh yes the lottery was on top of the agenda !!

One of the worst economic growth rates in the region, useless military spending - wasting money on “presents” and populist policies that make Thaksin look like a schoolboy - I can not think of any major achievement.

The mega projects - ( remember the judge telling Yingluck the country does not need high speed trains!) of which non has taken off so far are only designed to make him and his cronies rich. China and bankrupt Japan must be so desperate to try to keep their stuttering machines running wanting to invest in government mega projects in Thailand that are riddled with corruption - a quick phone call to Gordon Wu would want to make them reconsider one would think.

Well we will see - one thing is for sure - a government that is ruling a country with authoritarian powers without being held accountable and still has achieved nothing - will hardly achieve anything when under tight scrutiny. They will fail miserably - only a question of time.

And if my wife would tell me she votes for Prayuth I would very likely divorce her, put her in a yellow shirt, give her a whistle, send her on a black cloud blowing bus ( because instead of clean buses we bought tanks!) to Bangkok so she can breath whatever they are breathing there that clouds their judgement and tell her if she wants to be a slave for the rest of her live she can join the other brainless Suthep puppets there and live happy ever after!

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Im amazed at the amount of tourist who ask me "Whats it like living under a Military Junta" it must be lots are aware of the situation 

Amazing indeed.

I've never met one single tourist who asked me that; or even seemed remotely bothered.

Archived