BANGKOK 18 March 2019 21:20
Magnus Gunnarsson

I Need Info: Bang Na - Primary / Elementary / English Program

Hello Everyone,

I am about to move my family from Sa Kaeo (as country as it gets) to Bang Na, Bangkok this coming March after the school ends.
And I am trying now to find a good school for my 7-year-old stepdaughter who has only been in a poor countryside Thai school so far.

1. I have not found a place to live at yet. I want to see which school we find before looking for a place to live in. But I am definitely looking to move to the Bang Na, Bankok area.

2. I do not have the means to send her to a full-blown international school. Also, I do not think she will migrate easily. I am thinking more about a private school with Thai curriculum and EP, or a GOOD Thai gov schools with EP.

3. The budget I have is somewhere around 50.000 - 100.000 total per school year.

Many Thanks in Advance
Magnus

Edited by Magnus Gunnarsson

There are some Sarasas schools in the larger area which might fit your needs.   Some of the schools have both IEP programs as well as a bilingual cheaper alternative.  

My experience with the bilingual programs is that they generally do a pretty good job of teaching English and the students get reasonably proficient.   IEP programs are more expensive, but the students do a great deal more communicating in English.

In my personal experience, I'd tend toward a bilingual program if money is an issue.

I should note that in addition to the Sarasas schools, there are quite a few other bilingual schools and schools with English programs.  

How is it?

I will be arriving in Thailand March 15th, would it possible to see the schools and get a someone to show me the info during that time? Or will the schools be compleately closed because of holliday?

8 hours ago, Magnus Gunnarsson said:

How is it?

I will be arriving in Thailand March 15th, would it possible to see the schools and get a someone to show me the info during that time? Or will the schools be compleately closed because of holliday?

I would call them and make an appointment.

Is it this one? http://www.sws.ac.th/eng/

On 2/13/2019 at 5:03 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

I would call them and make an appointment.

Is it this one? http://www.sws.ac.th/eng/

That school in the vicinity of Suksawat Rd, so it would be rather far, I think.   There is another Sarasas School located on Nam Daeng Rd -- in the vicinity of Wat Nam Daeng.   The name is Sarasas Suvarnabhumi School, but I don't have the actual address.   There are other schools on Nam Daeng Rd that I believe have English (and Chinese) programs.   

For a lot of the schools, they will be practically closed when you arrive.   There is usually staff on duty, but finding someone that speaks English might be a bigger problem.   In April, a lot of schools run summer programs.   You should be able to see the school, get some basic information and costs, though.   

Best of luck.

Samut Prakarn is just a stones throw from Bang Na and they have a very good private girls school, I can't be sure I have the name right, I think St Josephs anyhow its right next to Assumption Samut Prakarn school (which is just for boys) so easy enough to find, my friends daughter went there and I never heard any complaints.

I have also heard good things about St. Joseph's, but I think it is a bit pricey.   Definitely worth checking out.  

If it is similar to the St Joseph's Convent on Silom then the prices will be much more than 50 - 100k a year. 

14 hours ago, JWRC said:

Samut Prakarn is just a stones throw from Bang Na and they have a very good private girls school, I can't be sure I have the name right, I think St Josephs anyhow its right next to Assumption Samut Prakarn school (which is just for boys) so easy enough to find, my friends daughter went there and I never heard any complaints.

There's actually a St. Joesph Bangna, which is in Sukhumvit 107. The one next to Assumption Samut Prakan is a little bit further out through Samrong in Mooban Thipawan, off Theparak Road. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I think that Assumption is mediocre. It burns through foreign teachers quickly. Assumption II farther outside is a fairly solid school. Having said that I have an amazing student just this year graduated middle school from that Assumption. But she'd give it a middling grade, I've discussed it with her before.

I'm no fan of Sarasas but have another star who graduated middle school from Bangbon. She too feels it was meh, but her English skills are formidable.

I'd move tighter into the city, on the BTS line.

1. Mater Dei $$

2. Wattana Wittayalai $$

3. Amnuay Silpa $$

4. Sacred Heart Klong Toei

4. St Joe's Convent

Mater Dei is a safe environment and will give her connections as will WWA. MD second best girl's school in Thailand. I think WWA she has to board m-f though.

Edited by Number 6

I believe the OP is working with a limited budget and with a child who has been attending a rather poor village school.  

Many, if not all, the schools will want to test her and if she is going into an English program, they will test her English language schools.   Some of the schools mentioned have high standards and are expensive.   These would play against attending.

12 minutes ago, Scott said:

I believe the OP is working with a limited budget and with a child who has been attending a rather poor village school.  

Many, if not all, the schools will want to test her and if she is going into an English program, they will test her English language schools.   Some of the schools mentioned have high standards and are expensive.   These would play against attending.

In that case, I 'd suggest the St. Joseph Thipawan school. The fees are nothing like the main branch. Or as an alternative I'd go for Rachawinit Bangkaew, near Mega BangNa. A very good state school, encourages creativity. For a young Thai kid, if you don't really need English to be a defining factor, it's a pretty good choice.