I Need Info: Bang Na - Primary / Elementary / English Program

Hello Everyone,

I am about to move my family from Sa Kaeo (as country as it gets) to Bang Na, Bangkok this coming March after the school ends.
And I am trying now to find a good school for my 7-year-old stepdaughter who has only been in a poor countryside Thai school so far.

1. I have not found a place to live at yet. I want to see which school we find before looking for a place to live in. But I am definitely looking to move to the Bang Na, Bankok area.

2. I do not have the means to send her to a full-blown international school. Also, I do not think she will migrate easily. I am thinking more about a private school with Thai curriculum and EP, or a GOOD Thai gov schools with EP.

3. The budget I have is somewhere around 50.000 - 100.000 total per school year.

Many Thanks in Advance
Magnus

There are some Sarasas schools in the larger area which might fit your needs.   Some of the schools have both IEP programs as well as a bilingual cheaper alternative.  

My experience with the bilingual programs is that they generally do a pretty good job of teaching English and the students get reasonably proficient.   IEP programs are more expensive, but the students do a great deal more communicating in English.

In my personal experience, I'd tend toward a bilingual program if money is an issue.

On 2/13/2019 at 5:03 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

I would call them and make an appointment.

Is it this one? http://www.sws.ac.th/eng/

That school in the vicinity of Suksawat Rd, so it would be rather far, I think.   There is another Sarasas School located on Nam Daeng Rd -- in the vicinity of Wat Nam Daeng.   The name is Sarasas Suvarnabhumi School, but I don't have the actual address.   There are other schools on Nam Daeng Rd that I believe have English (and Chinese) programs.   

For a lot of the schools, they will be practically closed when you arrive.   There is usually staff on duty, but finding someone that speaks English might be a bigger problem.   In April, a lot of schools run summer programs.   You should be able to see the school, get some basic information and costs, though.   

Best of luck.

Samut Prakarn is just a stones throw from Bang Na and they have a very good private girls school, I can't be sure I have the name right, I think St Josephs anyhow its right next to Assumption Samut Prakarn school (which is just for boys) so easy enough to find, my friends daughter went there and I never heard any complaints.

14 hours ago, JWRC said:

Samut Prakarn is just a stones throw from Bang Na and they have a very good private girls school, I can't be sure I have the name right, I think St Josephs anyhow its right next to Assumption Samut Prakarn school (which is just for boys) so easy enough to find, my friends daughter went there and I never heard any complaints.

There's actually a St. Joesph Bangna, which is in Sukhumvit 107. The one next to Assumption Samut Prakan is a little bit further out through Samrong in Mooban Thipawan, off Theparak Road. 

I think that Assumption is mediocre. It burns through foreign teachers quickly. Assumption II farther outside is a fairly solid school. Having said that I have an amazing student just this year graduated middle school from that Assumption. But she'd give it a middling grade, I've discussed it with her before.

I'm no fan of Sarasas but have another star who graduated middle school from Bangbon. She too feels it was meh, but her English skills are formidable.

I'd move tighter into the city, on the BTS line.

1. Mater Dei $$

2. Wattana Wittayalai $$

3. Amnuay Silpa $$

4. Sacred Heart Klong Toei

4. St Joe's Convent

Mater Dei is a safe environment and will give her connections as will WWA. MD second best girl's school in Thailand. I think WWA she has to board m-f though.

I believe the OP is working with a limited budget and with a child who has been attending a rather poor village school.  

Many, if not all, the schools will want to test her and if she is going into an English program, they will test her English language schools.   Some of the schools mentioned have high standards and are expensive.   These would play against attending.

12 minutes ago, Scott said:

I believe the OP is working with a limited budget and with a child who has been attending a rather poor village school.  

Many, if not all, the schools will want to test her and if she is going into an English program, they will test her English language schools.   Some of the schools mentioned have high standards and are expensive.   These would play against attending.

In that case, I 'd suggest the St. Joseph Thipawan school. The fees are nothing like the main branch. Or as an alternative I'd go for Rachawinit Bangkaew, near Mega BangNa. A very good state school, encourages creativity. For a young Thai kid, if you don't really need English to be a defining factor, it's a pretty good choice.

I may have a solution to get his kid into a private school without the tests. Nothing nefarious, just a good heart. Not EP but it's a good primary Intensive program me thinks. I've no idea costs, but don't think it's pricey. Maybe even EP, possible depending on $$. I'd run into a similar situation a few years back talking with a step father of a girl. So, if the OP wants a lead, message me (MRT line). Not at all certain but I think all schools mentioned save for boarding at wwa and Amnuay Silpa are under 100k.

WoW, Thank you all so much.

All this info will deffenatly help me alot when I go school hunting in March.

Thank you Scott, KhaoNiaw and Number 6

Yes it is true, I dont think a full blown international school or a Full Blow EP will be good for her.

But a daily or near daily english class would be awesome.

I am going to start with Rachawinit Bangkaew and St. Joseph Thipawan.

Thank

Magnus

On 2/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

In that case, I 'd suggest the St. Joseph Thipawan school. The fees are nothing like the main branch. Or as an alternative I'd go for Rachawinit Bangkaew, near Mega BangNa. A very good state school, encourages creativity. For a young Thai kid, if you don't really need English to be a defining factor, it's a pretty good choice.

Is this the school you are talking about? That is the only school I see near Mega BangNa that sounds like the name you provided. http://www.rwb.ac.th (Ratwinit Bangkaeo School)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, Magnus Gunnarsson said:

Is this the school you are talking about? That is the only school I see near Mega BangNa that sounds like the name you provided. http://www.rwb.ac.th (Ratwinit Bangkaeo School) 

First, I want to correct myself. Mater Dei is the second best girl's school in Thailand although it is the most elite. The best is Sattriwittaya.

The link is broken but I know this school (I think!!). I passed by it with my students on the way to Concordian Intl for a competition. Noticing just something "different" about the morning buzz and facade of the school I asked my students if it was an ok school and they said ok. I teach at a very good school, the kids take academics and ECs quite seriously.

It did strike me though as a very Thai schoo on the outside.

But my kids give it a sorta thumbs up. That's saying something.

The Ratwinit Bangkaeo has no Primary education for younger kids. 

I ended up going to the concordian int. To get some recomandation and one of them was the Lasalle Chatolic School. We enrolled the girl in the summer program to prepare her for the upcoming school year. However the Head Mistress (prinsipal) was very strict (I am kinda afraid of her ????) and it took all my convincing skills to even let her reconsider. In the start she gave us a flat out No... the girl propobly does not have the skills to attend this school.

Anyway, she is in the summer program now. And the teacher will assest her in a few weeks to see if she is ok to attend for next semester ????

I am highly considering to hire a Private Toudor for the next 4 weeks to help her prepair. Does anyone know how is the best way to find a Thai Tudor to help out a 7-year old?

Yes, indeed it's a secondary school. Completely slipped my mind the age of your child. I know nothing of LaSalle but definitely stand behind my recommendations inner BKK.

Don't worry about the sister, they all like to put up a hard front. She'll do fine if she wants to.

Always say hi to the sisters and stop and have a chat. Show interest in the development of your child and the school.

Looking at the website, looks like an ok school. Who's to know? Did have half dozen kids 100% on ONET.

Honestly, if you want her competitive for university, best she move to a recognized middle then high school.

Wise of you to go to Concordian for a bit of advice.

Still highly recommending Mater Dei, perhaps 80-100k?? WWA as well up to P6. Both very near BTS stop. Mater Dei is right on top of Chitlom.

All the kids I know are M6 or university students. They tutor city center. All the great tutors are around Siam. Anyway, you'll need someone locally. Maybe ask at the school.

Good luck

Archived