Bangkok Bank versus Siam Commercial Bank

EricTh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think such can be generalized?

Not depending on individual branch/staff?

MY Bangkok Bank (full) branch is more competent than the SCB micro branch. But that's not necessarily surprising.

Well, you could construct something from the different history, ownership and executive staff.

From this, SCB would be the Thai Airways of banks :whistling:

I have a SCB account for more than 10 years, 3 different branches, nothing to blame  , nothing to complaint , nice and smiling women, but because it's up country, they don't speak good English , better to speak Thai with them

Because of their commercial branches in NYC and London, Bangkok Bank is often a winner for expats from those countries for the ease of making foreign funds transfers.  Their branches in areas with high expat populations have staff with good foreign language skills, especially the branches in malls with extended hours.

Bangkok Bank always gives me a better exchange rate then scb, always seem friendly, plus it's one of the only bank that will let me use my chipless mastercard.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Use your MasterCard for online purchases?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, madmen said:

you wanna make friends or deposit withdraw money? 

We are not making friends ....

But whenever we make any bank transaction , we have to deal with the bank staff and some of the staff (not just  one) can be quite rude and grumpy in SCB.

Whereas, I've mostly pleasant experience with Bangkok Bank staff except for one staff.

Is it just me or do others experience the same thing.

1 hour ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

I closed my SCB account at Mee Chok because of the attitude of the staff. I now use Bkk bank or TGS bank.

Yes, I encountered bad attitude from staff at Mee Chok as well, but other branches like SCB at Kad Suan Kaew had some bad attitude staff.

There was one staff who scolded me for withdrawing cash from her and asked me to apply for ATM. LOL

I then went to other branches and encountered the same bad attitude when you want to request them to do some additional thing.

SCB have flat out refused to give me a debit card (opened account while WP/employed at prestigious institution/position). BBL TFB and TMB issued them without me asking.

Others claim to have Debit and CC - but i spoke to main HQ customer service and it was a flat 'no way', so not seemingly a branch thing.

26 minutes ago, mokwit said:

SCB have flat out refused to give me a debit card (opened account while WP/employed at prestigious institution/position). BBL TFB and TMB issued them without me asking.

Others claim to have Debit and CC - but i spoke to main HQ customer service and it was a flat 'no way', so not seemingly a branch thing.

BS, I just got a debit card from them last week for an old account. Just asked for it and got it, no issues.

Also in 20 years of dealing with SCB I have never had impolite, grumpy or bad attitude service, not once.  

15 hours ago, ThaiSauce said:

Bangkok Bank always gives me a better exchange rate then scb, always seem friendly, plus it's one of the only bank that will let me use my chipless mastercard.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The card you are referring to is a POS.  I created holy hell when they replaced my Debit card with the sh*t Unionpay card that was only useful at an ATM in Thailand & China.

They replaced it in November with a Mastercard.  (I was informed of the change by Ubon Joe on here, I think.)  All went well until I came to use it for an airfare.  NO GO.

Went in this morning; the girl said 'I know why you're here.'  She explained there was NO DIFFERENCE between the two cards.  If I wanted it to use on the Net I needed a Credit Card that was attached to another account with 50K in.

You can use the new Bangkok Bank MasterCard (debit) online but you need to order a card with your name printed on it. This costs 400 baht and takes about 7 working days.

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn and I have found them all to be very similar. I’ve never had any staff member who wasn’t helpful or polite.

In my 18 years in CM I have been with Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers, UOB and have an account with SCB.

UOB has friendliest staff, and I have no complaints about SCB where I keep my 'Current' account.

SCB allows me to use a QR card (the Black Spot as I call it) which I find very useful to settle bills.

john

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, I encountered bad attitude from staff at Mee Chok as well, but other branches like SCB at Kad Suan Kaew had some bad attitude staff.

There was one staff who scolded me for withdrawing cash from her and asked me to apply for ATM. LOL

I then went to other branches and encountered the same bad attitude when you want to request them to do some additional thing.

Scolded???5555

Interesting to know that BKK bank now has a Mastercard facility. I binned BKK last year in favour of SCB because the Unionpay card was useless. No one would accept it.

The service at SCB, both in branch and online, has been fine.  Like everybody, I look forward to the day when I don't need to draw a large wad of cash from the ATM.

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

You are unlucky and I am sorry for you; it depends really of people ! I never take money from ATM, always cash from the desk , in three SCB branches, and never had any bad attitude from the staff; withdraw cash is a normal operation

I have both too, mainly because over the years different employers have wanted me to have "their" bank.

No issue with bank staff as I rarely enter a branch, 99.9% of my banking is online at which both are, whilst not exactly stellar, adequate and work most of the time.

SCB bill payment via their Android App seems to be better at reading the QR/bar codes on the bills, that could just be my ancient phone (Galaxy Note 3).

When things do go wrong the call centres generally have adequate English (better than my Thai anyway).

Neither would give me an unsecured credit card despite working here since 2004, mostly for the same employer. Citi and AmEx came to me asking if I would like a card (at the time I had a Thai ROP Gold frequent flyer card which was their contact point).

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

You are unlucky and I am sorry for you; it depends really of people ! I never take money from ATM, always cash from the desk , in three SCB branches, and never had any bad attitude from the staff; withdraw cash is a normal operation

That's why I was shocked when she (SCB kad Suan Kaew) told me in a rude manner and she gave my money grudgingly. Of course, not all staff at SCB Kad Suan Kaew are like her.

I never had this attitude before at Bangkok Bank branches probably because they filter their staff more thoroughly. I've been banking with Bangkok Bank longer.

I went to another SCB branch in Meechok and tried to apply to open a fixed deposit account (besides savings account I already had) but I got this rude attitude, "one savings account is enough for foreigners, you don't need another account!". 

I have never had any problems opening several fixed deposit accounts in Bangkok Bank before.

Then there's a third incident at another SCB branch...

Yeah, there are some skeptical forummers here but these are all my real life experiences.

Eric,

Since SCB is a problem for you why not just bank at a different bank instead of banging your head about SCB?  

Or when you do not get the service you want ask to speak with the manager.

Or do you need a bath, haircut, mouthwash or more conventional clothing?

Archived