Bangkok Bank versus Siam Commercial Bank

EricTh

23 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, I encountered bad attitude from staff at Mee Chok as well, but other branches like SCB at Kad Suan Kaew had some bad attitude staff.

There was one staff who scolded me for withdrawing cash from her and asked me to apply for ATM. LOL

I then went to other branches and encountered the same bad attitude when you want to request them to do some additional thing.

Don’t you see a pattern emerging here... :coffee1:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Don’t you see a pattern emerging here... :coffee1:

Yeah, the pattern is that there are more rude staff at SCB compared with Bangkok Bank when doing the same requests.

Unfortunately, Bangkok bank's fixed deposit rate is lower...

Yeah, the pattern is that there are more rude staff at SCB compared with Bangkok Bank when doing the same requests.

Unfortunately, Bangkok bank's fixed deposit rate is lower...

My SCB branch inside CM University grounds can't do enough for you. Excellent service, with a smile.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

I’ve actually found SCB to be a lot better than Bangkok Bank but that’s just my personal experience at my local branches.  

Could you tell us which branches you go to that is friendly?

On 2/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, luckyluke said:

I suppose many staff at S.C.B. are frustrated, as the bank will close 750 branches by 2020.

That is the trend, just like in some other countries - like USA. Whenever I go to make my car payment the bank always tries to discourage me and offers all kinds of free stuff like Dairy Queen ice cream,  to use a bar code scanner on a mobile and not come in the bank. I suspect many branches of many banks will be shutting down soon. I notice recently they started charging 30-35 Baht to make the payment in the bank now.

55 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

I got a Bangkok bank account and debit card my first visit. Very good service and they liked me.

Note: isn’t it illegal for a tourist visa farang to open a bank account, and get a debit card?

No, it is not illegal.

Many years ago, I opened one on a tourist visa but nowadays you need at least a residence cert (from what I read here).

On 2/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Jim7777 said:

I’ve actually found SCB to be a lot better than Bangkok Bank but that’s just my personal experience at my local branches.  

I got another nasty experience from a branch of SCB nearest to my house.

When I went to withdraw my money at the counter, they said I should use the ATM to withdraw and apply through SCB Easy. She said it is possible for those without ATM card. ATM doesn't even have English words when I looked at it.

She took a look at my bank-book and even told me this branch (call it B) is not my home branch (call it A) as if they prefer to service people with account in their home branch.

I've never encountered this attitude in Bangkok Bank.

Does anybody know where the headquarters of SCB in Chiang Mai is located so that I can complain about the attitude of the staff in this branch B?

44 minutes ago, EricTh said:

ATM doesn't even have English words when I looked at it.

All the ATMs I have used in Thailand have English.  You really need to stop going off on things that are not true.  SCB ATMs have English language avilable for sure and it is nasty to suggest otherwise.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, NancyL said:

Because of their commercial branches in NYC and London, Bangkok Bank is often a winner for expats from those countries for the ease of making foreign funds transfers.  Their branches in areas with high expat populations have staff with good foreign language skills, especially the branches in malls with extended hours.

The one in Jomtien is far from friendly or accommodating. 

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Does anybody know where the headquarters of SCB in Chiang Mai is located so that I can complain about the attitude of the staff in this branch B?

Half way between the narrow bridge (to bus station), and the moat, on the corner of the traffic lights.

SCB Bank. Si Nakhonphing Branch

Was deciding which bank but decided to go with Bangkok Bank as less hassle. They only required my non immigrant O visa plus my Thai driving license. Others required house contract etc, etc.

Having said that the BB in Central Festival told me it wasn't possible to open an account at all. Go figure...  

On 3/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, BritManToo said:

Half way between the narrow bridge (to bus station), and the moat, on the corner of the traffic lights.

SCB Bank. Si Nakhonphing Branch

I went to this branch, the staff here is so polite and attentive when I asked questions.

The best SCB branch I found so far but unfortunately, I live far from this branch.

Foreigners who live inside moat area might want to open an account in this branch.

1 hour ago, stament said:

Was deciding which bank but decided to go with Bangkok Bank as less hassle. They only required my non immigrant O visa plus my Thai driving license. Others required house contract etc, etc.

Having said that the BB in Central Festival told me it wasn't possible to open an account at all. Go figure...  

Yes, Bangkok Bank is the easiest bank for foreigners to open accounts judging by what I read from others and my own experience.

You might want to go to Kad Suan Kaew branch if all other branches fail.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Yes, Bangkok Bank is the easiest bank for foreigners to open accounts judging by what I read from others and my own experience.

You might want to go to Kad Suan Kaew branch if all other branches fail.

Already opened this morning with just my passport containing my non immigration O visa and Thai driving license.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, madmen said:

you wanna make friends or deposit withdraw money? 

My Chiangmai branch of Bankbook bank is terrific in every way, Super courteous, very helpful with problems around immigration issues. And most all very staff proficient in English. Branch offices in malls not the same but O K.

13 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

My Chiangmai branch of Bankbook bank is terrific in every way, Super courteous, very helpful with problems around immigration issues. And most all very staff proficient in English. Branch offices in malls not the same but O K.

I too find Bankbook bank to be superb.

23 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

Do you mean 'Bangkok' bank and not Bankbook ?

Which Chiang Mai branch is this?

I don't see any advantages from one bank to the best here. I have accounts at SCB and Krung Thai. Neither offers any incentives to bank with them and both charge for normal everyday things such as having a bank card and online banking. SCB actually charges 5baht per deposit into the account. Not a lot for a single deposit of course but if they take that from everyone of course there's a lot of money for them to make

Archived