Why didn't the circuit breakers trip when I cut the extension cord??

giddyup

Just now, VocalNeal said:

WHAT? Minimum wage is 300+  He has to travel to you and provide his own tools etc., and travel back home.  

Just say yes and pay the man.

That's 300 baht a day, not per 5 minutes. He lives very close to me so travel isn't an issue, but the job does require an expert so I guess I need to pay for that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's 300 baht a day, not per 5 minutes. He lives very close to me so travel isn't an issue, but the job does require an expert so I guess I need to pay for that.

I wouldn't say "expert" is necessary but hopefully they will have protective gloves/sleeves and not be bothered to pull the wires from the meter.  If your PEA is over 20 km or so, that might make a difference in their "price".

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I wouldn't say "expert" is necessary but hopefully they will have protective gloves/sleeves and not be bothered to pull the wires from the meter.  If your PEA is over 20 km or so, that might make a difference in their "price".

I have the German electrician coming around tomorrow. I already buy the Schneider for 2800 so if he charges me 1000 baht to install so be it. Done and dusted.

They won't help you if you contact 2 phases simultaneously. 

Indeed, but difficult to do with my other hand in my pocket... ????

Usually I would always isolate the supply to work on the wiring.  Very occasionally, with the hotel full of guests, I worked on it 'live'.  Happy to say that although I have had many electrical shocks in my life (I'm a radio ham, previously working with valve transmitters with 2,000 v DC on their top caps), I never got a shock when working on my hotel live circuits.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have the German electrician coming around tomorrow. I already buy the Schneider for 2800 so if he charges me 1000 baht to install so be it. Done and dusted.

Make sure he tests for no N-E fault/connection downstream of the main breaker BEFORE he installs the new unit.

At least then you will still have power whilst he looks for the fault.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Make sure he tests for no N-E fault/connection downstream of the main breaker BEFORE he installs the new unit.

At least then you will still have power whilst he looks for the fault.

Will do. Probably won't appreciate me telling him his job though.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Will do. Probably won't appreciate me telling him his job though.

Wellll, if he doesn't and there is, it's going to be his headache (and they can be a nightmare to find).

Rule No-1 of doing anything electrical. Test for issues first, do the job (after fixing the issues), test again.

EDIT Is this the same chap who recommended "doing nothing"? 

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Wellll, if he doesn't and there is, it's going to be his headache (and they can be a nightmare to find).

Rule No-1 of doing anything electrical. Test for issues first, do the job (after fixing the issues), test again.

EDIT Is this the same chap who recommended "doing nothing"? 

Well, he certainly wasn't pushy as far as installing a safety breaker, so I'm not sure what his reasoning was behind that. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Archived