Vietnam now has an E visa system

scotinsiam

I used it last year and it was hassle- free.  I was only visiting HCM for 5 days.  The website isn't clear as to how long the e-visa is valid for, ie, must be used within 30 days or whether the visa entry is for 30 days.

Anyone used the e-visa and can clarify?

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Good news...thanks for sharing! ???? 

It's been up and running, and smoothly for around 1 year. Several past very detailed thread here on TV.

Used it several times, works like a charm; 

- Get e.visa on line, check first what type photos (head and shoulders) are accepted. If your photo is not what's required it's easy enough to find a website to quickly convert your existing photo(s) to what's accepted. (Use the web address quoted above, don't use agents you look like they are official but aren't, they can get you a letter of approval but that's not the actual visa, there are more steps and can mean a very long wait when you get to your destination airport). 

- Print your e-visa certificate,

- Show e.visa certificate at check-in before boarding the AC,

- Off the flight and direct to the actual passport lines (don't go to the visa on arrival counter),

- Give your passport and e.visa certificate to the passport officer, a very quick check and stamped in, less than half a minute

- All done.

But keep a copy, the 3 times I've used it I was asked for a copy of the e.visa by the passport officer on departure, all easy.

12 minutes ago, atecom said:

My experience was similar to Scorecard's above, except I was not asked to see a copy upon exit.

Regards

~Atecom

Every time I excited was Hanoi.

Maybe other airports a bit different / maybe that requirement has been dropped???

In any event very easy to be prepared just in case.

I did it this week for Filipina GF and myself, very easyonly took 3 days. 

Usethe web address quoted above, don't use agents you look like they are official but aren't, they can get you a letter of approval but that's not the actual visa,"

Important point use the OP link. Do a google and there are dozens of links but, as he says, they are not for the government E-visa.

Is this news? I used it last year and went to the very last immigration line in HCM because it was the shortest. The I/O took a look at my E-visa, closed her gate and said "follow me".  We walked alllllll the way back to the VOA window and she slid my passport and the visa under the window to staff there and then she walked away without saying a word to me.  Ten minutes later someone came out of the office holding my passport and another travelers and he said "follow".  We followed him to another I/O counter and the I/O stamped us in.  No explanation of any kind just a delay.  Not sure they understand the purpose of the E Visa.

17 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

I did it this week for Filipina GF and myself, very easyonly took 3 days. 

Usethe web address quoted above, don't use agents you look like they are official but aren't, they can get you a letter of approval but that's not the actual visa,"

Important point use the OP link. Do a google and there are dozens of links but, as he says, they are not for the government E-visa.

True, in fact most of the websites for the agencies that can you a 'letter of approval' are somewhat tricky in the wording on their websites and in their web address, many folks would quickly assume they are official government sites. They're not. 

19 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Is this news? I used it last year and went to the very last immigration line in HCM because it was the shortest. The I/O took a look at my E-visa, closed her gate and said "follow me".  We walked alllllll the way back to the VOA window and she slid my passport and the visa under the window to staff there and then she walked away without saying a word to me.  Ten minutes later someone came out of the office holding my passport and another travelers and he said "follow".  We followed him to another I/O counter and the I/O stamped us in.  No explanation of any kind just a delay.  Not sure they understand the purpose of the E Visa.

Alllllllll way back, I know that airport and the hall you're talking about. perhaps 2 minutes walk.

Sorry to hear you had that experience, maybe there was a legitimate reason, who knows.

Like any country, you can get a visa in advance but it may not be accepted / maybe checked further when you arrive at the actual on arrival passport desk. 

My experienced have been great, sorry to hear you experienced had something different.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Every time I excited was Hanoi.

Maybe other airports a bit different / maybe that requirement has been dropped???

In any event very easy to be prepared just in case.

Excited? Was that a deliberate typo? I must admit I liked Hanoi better than HCMC.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm assuming this E part is just for tourist visas, and you can't use it to apply for/receive the 1-year multiple entry (90 days per) visa that's available to Americans at least from the Vietnam Embassy in Washington DC.

image.png.505b24f7d14980cf8d4a24f8a2d32b7c.png

Looking further in the FAQ re e-visa nothing more mentioned about other types of visas.

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

image.png.505b24f7d14980cf8d4a24f8a2d32b7c.png

Looking further in the FAQ re e-visa nothing more mentioned about other types of visas.

I have used a non-government agent before a few times to obtain a 3-month multi-entry, I have also used the visa free 15 day method as I am from the UK.

The agent I have used has a pretty informative website - Americans, in particular,

seem to get a good deal.

http://www.vietnamvisapro.net/

On 2/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, ThaiWai said:

So you were disappointed that you didn't get the normal courtesy and efficiency offered by Thai Immigration????    :cheesy:

On 2/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, DrJack54 said:

Read the thread. Can someone confirm if 3 month multi is available with e-visa. I go Saigon every few weeks and use "approval letter". Need new visa after next trip. Getting tired of the waiting area VOA. 

Looks like only 1 month according to their FAQ section (I know what you mean about the wait at the airport - its horrible lol)

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/faq

49 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So if travelling on a U.K passport and wife on Thai passport, then neither of us need anything for a week long holiday ?? 

Is this correct !! Will we be allowed to board flight in BKK with just our passports..

12 years ago my thai wife and 2 nieces came to HCMC with just their passports and were able to stay a few weeks...I believe the same still applies to ASEAN countries passport holders but I'd check the VN gov't website to make sure...and 2 years ago my son who carries UK passport was stamped in at Hanoi for 15 days without a visa...

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

So if travelling on a U.K passport and wife on Thai passport, then neither of us need anything for a week long holiday ?? 

Is this correct !! Will we be allowed to board flight in BKK with just our passports..

Yes. Brits visa free up to 15 days Thais up to 30.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:49 AM, scotinsiam said:

I do not know if it can be extended in the country yet or not?

From the website you linked:

E-visa holders in Vietnam may be considered to get new visa if being invited/guaranteed by authority/organization/individual in Vietnam in accordance with Law on foreigners' entry into, exit from, transit through, residence in Vietnam.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:01 PM, cornishcarlos said:

I can only speak for you holding a UK passport, as long as you have not been in Vietnam in the last 30 days on the 15 day exemption entry all you will need is proof of onward travel from Vietnam within 15 days. Once you leave Vietnam you cannot use this method again for 30 days - sorry but I have no idea about Thais entering Vietnam.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

Visas

Until 30 June 2021, ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa before entering Vietnam.

For visits of up to 30 days, you can get an e-visa online before you travel. Use of the e-visa is limited to certain entry/exit points which you must select at the time of application. E-visa is only applicable to ‘British Citizen’ passport holders. If you don’t have fixed travel plans, consider applying for a regular single entry visa from the nearest Vietnamese Embassy, which allows more flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, DrJack54 said:

Read the thread. Can someone confirm if 3 month multi is available with e-visa. I go Saigon every few weeks and use "approval letter". Need new visa after next trip. Getting tired of the waiting area VOA. 

Good question.

I'll be in Hanoi mid April (already have my e.visa certificate, staying just 12 days).

My Hanoi Admin. Mngr is great with checking these things, I'll get her to make some calls to check about 3 months visa / 3 months multi-entry,  because I might need to do a 3 months stint later this year.

Will advise.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:16 AM, scotinsiam said:

I can only speak for you holding a UK passport, as long as you have not been in Vietnam in the last 30 days on the 15 day exemption entry all you will need is proof of onward travel from Vietnam within 15 days. Once you leave Vietnam you cannot use this method again for 30 days - sorry but I have no idea about Thais entering Vietnam.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

Visas

Until 30 June 2021, ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa before entering Vietnam.

For visits of up to 30 days, you can get an e-visa online before you travel. Use of the e-visa is limited to certain entry/exit points which you must select at the time of application. E-visa is only applicable to ‘British Citizen’ passport holders. If you don’t have fixed travel plans, consider applying for a regular single entry visa from the nearest Vietnamese Embassy, which allows more flexibility.

".....E-visa is only applicable to ‘British Citizen’ passport holders. ....."

Not quite correct, I travel on an Australian passport, I've had/used the e.visa certificate 3 times already, just waiting to use the 4th time in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived