Visit to Ayutthaya

CelticBhoy

I was there for the weekend a few month ago. Naressuan soi 2, is the area catering to tourists and backpackers. Nice little area with some bars, restaurants and guesthouses in a cluster in the middle of the soi. I stayed at the Briskhouse, family room was THB 500. 

Ayutthaya is typically a daytrip destination so you see all the coaches rolling in from Bangkok early to mid morning. It was coming up to Crimbo when i was there and it was hectic, plus that thai drama Buppaesannivas was on. It was a relief come late evening and they all left. 

A bonus of staying over is that you see all the temples floodlit at night We hired a motorbike and just rode around the old city. Its looks awesome. You can hire bicycles and motos on soi 2.  One night was enough for me as temple fatigue sets in after a while.

I actually liked Wat Chai Wattanaram cause of its location on the river. It is very popular with thais because the drama was filmed there in part. You can see them dressing up in character. 

Enjoy your trip. 

21 minutes ago, warrima said:

Naressuan soi 2, is the area catering to tourists and backpackers.

It's actually Soi 1.  And I would probably word it "the area catering for downmarket tourists and backpackers who have no interest in Thai culture and cuisine but want to stay in a foreigner ghetto".  Best avoided.

I think Oxx has summed it up really.
Naressuan Soi 1 is locally known as Soi Farang and mainly geared up for backpackers or couples coming for a day or two, not really family orientated.
Nyezhov’s recommendation of The Park is spot on, right in the middle of the old city and ideal for visiting the temples.
If your children are old enough to ride bicycles ( or possibly the oldest can ride and the other two double up with the adults, plenty of bicycles for rent to accommodate a second person ) then I strongly recommend you do that as the beauty of Ayutthaya is all located in the historical park, the rivers which form the boundary and the many temples and ruins scattered around this area. The roads within the tourist area are flat and (relatively) safe for cycling.
As stated , the temples in evening are beautiful when lit up and there’s usually a nightmarket going on somewhere in that area.
There are elephants to ride and also a floating market with a typical Thai show usually going on, the market is “ okay “ but as usual 200 baht for foreigners only leaves a nasty taste !

Last time I was there was early 2011, just before I retired and moved here, there is a half decent hotel right on the river with a floating restaurant attached, I was looked after as I had a couple of local girls ( friends only) showed me around the ruins the elephant rides and other attractions, the hotel I stayed in was 5 mins from the railway station with great views from the upper floors all over the river and town.

Last time I was there was early 2011, just before I retired and moved here, there is a half decent hotel right on the river with a floating restaurant attached, I was looked after as I had a couple of local girls ( friends only) showed me around the ruins the elephant rides and other attractions, the hotel I stayed in was 5 mins from the railway station with great views from the upper floors all over the river and town.

That would be the Ayothaya Riverside or the Krungsri River hotel very close to each other and near the railway station overlooking the river.

I can’t really comment as I’ve never stayed in either but options for the OP to look at .

The only hotels I’ve stayed in were Kantary ( for 5 weeks ) and Classic Kameo ( for a few nights ), both excellent hotels ( same owner I believe ) but further out from tourist attractions, couple of km from Floating market but about 5 or 6 km from historical park, not a problem obviously if you are going to use your car for getting around.

Can’t comment on price as room was paid for by company, but I would imagine not cheap.

Just thinking, hiring a tuk tuk to see the sights would be an excellent option for a family of five .

Krungsri for sure in March with Kids.Nice riverside prom with service, watch the Barges towing horrendous loads over a Beer,  evening breeze from river, their own Cruise/Dine Boat. good pools, dont feel crowded out, can wander around, always stay there. 2K a night but they do weekend specials and agoda bring it down a fair bit. Tried all the best over the years, but this is our Fav even without the Kids now 30!!!..

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That would be the Ayothaya Riverside or the Krungsri River hotel very close to each other and near the railway station overlooking the river.

Krungsri doesn't have a floating restaurant, so Ayutthaya Riverside is more likely.  Of the two, Krungsri is the better hotel, and used to be the best hotel in town for many years.  The rooms now are a little dated.

A post containing violations of the following forum rules has been removed:

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.

• 1 month later...

Bit late but I would highly recommend Baan Keang Chol, a small family run hotel on U-Thong road on the island/historical park.  Have stayed there for the last 3 years, they treat us like family.  The decking and dining area looks out over the Chao Phraya river across to Wat Phutthaisawan, and the owner and his son go out of their way to make your stay perfect

Archived