one year AIS Sim2fly sim for Thai use and overseas,or anything better ?

oldcarguy

Hi
I wanted to get the one year AIS Sim2fly sim with 15GB for 2799 baht , 
Its good for a year and works in most of Asia and Europe , 

Anyway can I have a regular Thai number with calling and SMS on this Sim if I pay extra.
And can all the AIS add ons  be added to this sim like a normal sim ?

I need a Sim to use when traveling in Asia and Europe , this could solve 2 problems I hope , a Thai number with calling , SMS and Data  and International Data.

But will this work like that ?

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/index.html

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

Anyway can I have a regular Thai number with calling and SMS on this Sim if I pay extra.

Yes.

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

And can all the AIS add ons  be added to this sim like a normal sim ?

No.

However, you can get a short-term Sim2Fly (or DTAC SIM Go Inter), use it on your first trip, then transition it back to a "normal" while in Thailand, then in advance of your next trip, add value and turn it back into a Sim2Fly. This is a relatively new feature, and I've done it for recent trips to HKG and SIN. That said, I do not use this one as my primary SIM.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/index.html

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/gointer/

Going to Japan on ANA? https://www.ana-campaign.com/sim2fly/

sim2fly 1yr.jpg

simgointeraddon.jpg

I’m about to use it in Japan.

usually I use a Japanese company and have a sim diliverd to my hotel (I use about 5GB in a 10 day trip)...

I’ll see how the SIM2fly works this time... it’s much cheaper

(usually about B3600 for 10 days 5GB - SIM2Fly is B400 for 7 days + B300 for a 4GB top up on the 8th day +)...

I’m wondering where the catch is, or if the connection speeds are any good (4G is advertised).... 

I have not personally used SIM2Fly or SIM Go Inter in Japan, only HKG and SIN, but do know friends who have used these in Japan, and the U.S.A.

Maybe try one on your next trip as a backup, and use your "normal" service, then compare the two for future use?

Note that these are DATA ONLY, so if you have to make/receive regular mobile calls then these may not work for your application. They do support data calling via apps like LINE, etc. They do support voice calls but at quite high rates, so you'll need to add additional prepaid value and factor that into your costs.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m wondering where the catch is, or if the connection speeds are any good (4G is advertised)....  

I found that connection speed of Sim2Fly is slow in Japan. The speed was so bad that I took out my Sim2Fly and use my normal AIS sim instead in international roaming mode. Roaming using normal AIS sim showed faster speed compared to Sim2Fly. However, it is more expensive to use normal AIS sim for roaming. If you only need data for instant messaging like Line, WhatsApp in Japan, Sim2Fly is good enough.

33 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You can make/receive regular mobile calls To/from Sim2Fly number while abroad. Just need to carry enough balance to pay for the call charges.

Yes, I think I said as much...

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

They do support voice calls but at quite high rates, so you'll need to add additional prepaid value and factor that into your costs.

Looks like 19 baht/minute for calls within Japan (incoming and outgoing) and calls to Thailand. Calls to other countries would be 75 baht/minute. Obviously, Japanese contacts would have to dial your Thai number so that may also be a factor?

You can also layer data (and voice) roaming packages onto existing pre- and post-paid accounts.

For example AIS Big Pack: 10GB/10 days 1,990 baht 21 countries incl. Japan.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/package-0.html

Thanks for your  ideas , 

does the Sim2fly sim allow data to be used in Thailand ?

Like I said earlier the main idea is being to have Data when I do other places in Asia or to Europe , 

I could just get another Sim card for Thailand calls text and data

Does True  or anyone else have the same idea for an  International plan ?

and it seems you can turn the Sim2fly international roaming on and off , when you turn it off does it extend the 1 year validity ?

Again thanks for your ideas.....

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

does the Sim2fly sim allow data to be used in Thailand ?

I don't think so. Maybe look at the terms and conditions to see if you agree?

when you turn it off does it extend the 1 year validity ?

I don't think so. Again, the T's & C's have some detail: The data roaming package will start counting the validity days when the customer has first-activate the SIM2Fly . Validity will be calculated on a 24-hour basis starting on the date and time of the first-activate as stated in the confirmation SMS.

Does True  or anyone else have the same idea for an  International plan ?

Yes TrueMove H have similar pre-paid international roaming SIMs/packages. http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_service/travelling_abroad?ln=en

Like I said earlier the main idea is being to have Data when I do other places in Asia or to Europe 

I could just get another Sim card for Thailand calls text and data

Keeping a 1-year roaming SIM just for trips, or getting a new one for each trip, or layering on another plan to an existing roaming SIM are all options. It all depends on your requirements: budget, no. of trips, usage, etc. Balance that against getting a local SIM, in the country you travel to, or getting a roaming package on top of your normal Thai SIM are options as well.

Personally, I have a post-paid account for Thailand and maintain DTAC SIM Go Inter and AIS SIM2Fly SIMS for reuse on subsequent trips. Sometimes I get a local SIM, and in the U.S. I use T-Mobile pre-paid.

Finally, some of the VoWiFi offerings might work for you so look into those as well. DTAC Call is very robust, but it does require that you have WiFi for use. This means not a lot of moving around during a call.

There are many, many, many options, but each individual has different requirements, so it's challenging to recommend just one solution.

I really just want  to be covered if there is a cheap fare somewhere and I have the time to grab it.....

its not the 2799 baht as I can always use the data at home if I have a bunch left at the end of the 12 months , 

If it works as advertised , then I can just get off the plane and have Data for Line , whatsapp , skype etc

If I see a need for a local sim then I can get that in a day or 2 but I am covered for Data , 

I am not going to use the Data for Netflix etc so if will last a long time , I have 5GB a month ( now 8GB ) in the USA and do not use half of it , 

The only problem is with the Fly2sim is there are very few reviews in english of how it works in Europe , I am sure Thais have left reviews  in Thai that I will never find , 

I am realistic , its never going to be 100% , thats OK , 

And maybe its better to get a separate Thai Sim and just use the Fly2sim for out of Thailand  use , 

Anyway , I do appreciate your thoughts , I know there are more than one answer  , I am just trying to learn if there are any land mines along the way ????

Cheers

Based on the detail you've provided, but not knowing how many trips per year, you could just get a one-time roaming SIM at the airport prior to departure, or at a shop in town. As mentioned they can be reused for subsequent trips. The one year option may be worth it if you take a lot of trips, especially to the 899 countries. WIthout knowing how much time you spend in Thailand, the U.s. or elsewhere it's hard to make a single recommendation but personally, I would keep a separate SIM for use in Thailand, and another SIM2Fly for travel THL-XXX-THL.

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I am sure Thais have left reviews  in Thai that I will never find

You can search Thai social media platforms like pantip.com, use Google Translate.

Example: ais sim2fly europe site:pantip.com

One of many results: https://pantip.com/topic/35977909

On 2/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, richard_smith237 said:

It's 400b  for 5GB for 8 days, then another 300b for a further 3GB.

So... It works OK in Japan... No reason to suspect it won't in Europe. 

I have used Sim2Fly in Japan on 4 different trips from Kyushu to Hokkaido and it worked great every time. You tube was great, cant speak for Netflix. Richard, I always pay the 399 for 8 days + 119baht,2GB,2days (twice) for 12day total.

I have used SIM2FLY in Canada and the US....again worked great.

I have used SIM2FLY in Austria, Hungary, Germany, Italy, and it worked great....except in certain pockets of Florence and Rome.....this was also a problem with the locals on their phones (TIM was the cellular network). When this occurred, I would walk 50 to 100 mtrs and all was fine.

Has anyone gotten this Border country

SIM2Fly Data Roaming On-Top Package

99 Baht

Non-Stop Internet

(Max speed for 2GB*)
7 days  

Heading to Malaysia next week and usually get a HOTlink SIM there because its usually about 2.5USD for 1 week 4GB, with a bunch of calls included.

But for 99 baht, can save the hassle and hit the ground running after I get off the plane.

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2019 at 2:26 PM, trevor67 said:

Has anyone gotten this Border country

SIM2Fly Data Roaming On-Top Package

99 Baht

Non-Stop Internet

(Max speed for 2GB*)
7 days  

Heading to Malaysia next week and usually get a HOTlink SIM there because its usually about 2.5USD for 1 week 4GB, with a bunch of calls included.

But for 99 baht, can save the hassle and hit the ground running after I get off the plane.

Updating my own post,  99 baht Sim2fly worked well in KL,Malaysia. I can also say I used Sim2fly now in 3 cities in Taiwan and it worked well.

Archived