After Chiang Mai, where to emigrate ?

orang37

Yes, this is the start of the infernal season,  the season where Henny Penny (that's so easy to say in Tinglish: 'hennee pennee') gets it right about the sky falling.

And, as last year, at this time, my thoughts turn to moving outside Thailand.

For me that would be preferably Asia, preferably a country where the visa thing is not yet a forgone, far gone, gone-for-broke, fracas. 

Kunming comes to  mind, since I like altitude, Chinese culture (as long as its not Cantonese), and, my sense is there is a vibrant expat mensch/academe/artiste/misfit/loser/genius scene there.

link: Cost of living in Kunming compared to Chiang Mai (yes, I aware of the limits of aggregated data, like the Numbeo results)

Curious to know: if you were to relocate outside Thailand, where would you go.

cheers, ~o:37;

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China (in no particular order).

They're all good, although China may be too strange for many.

Beer and booze is cheaper in all of them. Women are more expensive in Vietnam.

Exchange rates are also better in all of them, very little loss over the past 5 years.

VISAs are easy to get.

Food is probably the best in Cambodia (it surprised me), but different to Thailand, they use less chillies and more coconut milk and peanuts in their cooking.

Although I  haven't ever emigrated anywhere, I'm more a long term tourist.

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I believe Portugal would be worth considering.  As far as Kunming, that would be one of the last places on earth I would consider moving to. ????

I would not move to anywhere in China, discounting Hong Kong, I like it there, but it's way to expensive to live there

This may sound radical, but I am thinking I could move to Florida and live in a senior mobile home park for not much more than I spend here.  You can purchase a used mobile home in one of these parks for next to nothing because when the owners die, the children are not old enough to live in them and they can't afford to keep paying the lot rent on them. 

Although I make well over 100,000 baht, I almost never spend any more than that living here in Thailand.  I did the math and found I could be living in a mobile home in Florida and still not be spending much more than 100,000 baht ($3,200.00) to live there.  Being my income is significantly higher than that, I will be making the move as soon as my Thai wife gets her approval for a green card, which should be sometime this Summer. 

1 hour ago, BarnicaleBob said:

This may sound radical, but I am thinking I could move to Florida and live in a senior mobile home park for not much more than I spend here.  You can purchase a used mobile home in one of these parks for next to nothing because when the owners die, the children are not old enough to live in them and they can't afford to keep paying the lot rent on them. 

Although I make well over 100,000 baht, I almost never spend any more than that living here in Thailand.  I did the math and found I could be living in a mobile home in Florida and still not be spending much more than 100,000 baht ($3,200.00) to live there.  Being my income is significantly higher than that, I will be making the move as soon as my Thai wife gets her approval for a green card, which should be sometime this Summer. 

Go for it Bob!!

3 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

So your idyllic future is living in a used mobile home in Florida?  To each his own.  But personally, I'd aim a bit higher. 

3 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Go for it Bob!!

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

So your idyllic future is living in a used mobile home in Florida?  To each his own.  But personally, I'd aim a bit higher. 

555, are you kidding?

In the US there is nothing higher than Trailer Trash.

4 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I guess your wife would have to be a senior too? Or not?

4 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

i'll play the devil's advocate...... first, the manager of the park can be crazy and make your life crazy (no, never lived there, but stayed at some when i did extensive traveling).....fines all the time, crazy rules, and they really own you on everything.   one place checked internet usage on each person, then banned people.  i'm not a fan of that.  then the people who live there.  10 kids in a trailer....one guy drinks all day....one guy talks to your wife all day...you get the idea.  i'd never do it.  if you want to leave, they may charge you a zillion months.  

I'm not a big fan of tiny homes, but more so than a trailer park.  or a nice townhome, not condo.  

florida has the most crazies anywhere.  needed to throw that in....

if i had to pick......i would start with San Antonio and a townhome.  

try to travel to places in Minnesota and Wisconsin....if you can handle the cold, might be a better quality of life.  my two cents....

8 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Don’t tell your wife your moving into a mobile home that someone has died in , you want a spirit free home. 

everywhere i moved was really nice and peaceful.   first austin,tx      then S.F.     then Chiangmai 30 years ago.      After i moved there each of these places grew like a cloud from an atomic bomb.

I will therefore have to refrain from saying where i will be moving next

4 hours ago, MisterTee said:

555, are you kidding?

In the US there is nothing higher than Trailer Trash.

Bob is most definatley not " Trailer Trash" we have some lovely trailer parks in the UK and I am sure that this is the type he is alluding to....there is no Trailer trash in the UK, but I have seen plenty of trailer parks in the states where the rednecks live and they are definately Trailer Trash

Archived