Jump to content
BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
George36

Unlocked S7 Needs Thai Number, Sim, Data Plan

Recommended Posts

I will be arriving this Wednesday and, for the first time in many visits, I need to figure out how to optain the items in the title.  I will be heading to Central Mall on the 14th of February and looking to set up a plan for the 55 days that I will be in Pattaya.

 

I will be using the phone for ThaiFriendly, Hangouts, Line, Thaivisa, You-Tube and various social networks including Facebook.  I have no idea about these items and what data plan will cover the the amount of data for these items.

 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I would like to visit the stores in Central Festival having a little knowledge of what I am asking to obtain.  Thanks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three main providers here: AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H. They all sell SIMs. You could buy a SIM at the airport, or at any shop. Maybe try a service providers shop for your first go? Any Central Mall will have all three.

 

The steps are:

 

Buy a SIM

Add value

Subscribe to a mobile data plan.

 

There are hundreds of mobile data plans, some with fixed bandwidth (1/4/6 Mbps) and unlimited volume, others with unlimited bandwidth and fixed volume (speed drops). Terms range from 1 day to 1 week to 1 month to 1 year. Some plans automatically renew while others must be manually renewed.

 

http://www.prosermthaisim.com/index.php

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great info.  In the United States, I have a “Mobile Hot Spot” that enables me to use internet on my IPad when WiFi is not available.  

 

Is there anything like that in Thailand or do I buy a separate plan for movies and entertainment on my IPad?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotpot, or Mobile AP, is a standard feature here, and as such is not blocked here as it might be in the U.S., where some plans might charge extra for this feature.

 

You will be able to create a Mobile AP on your unlocked Samsung S7 - which should work here on some/many/all LTE frequencies - and share the mobile data connection to multiple local WLAN devices/connections including your iPad.

 

Be advised that:

 

Without a mobile data subscription, your prepaid balance will quickly be depleted at the rate of 1 baht/min so turn off mobile data until you have subscribed to a plan.

 

SIM/packages sold at the airport can, for the most part, be converted to "Standard" SIMs after their initial term of 7/15 days.

 

If you can wait, maybe better to buy a "Standard" SIM for ~ 50 baht, then add value, then subscribe to a monthly data plan. 

 

Most prices exclude 7% VAT so remember to factor that into any to-up activity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are three main providers here: AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H. They all sell SIMs. You could buy a SIM at the airport, or at any shop. Maybe try a service providers shop for your first go? Any Central Mall will have all three.

 

The steps are:

 

Buy a SIM

Add value

Subscribe to a mobile data plan.

 

There are hundreds of mobile data plans, some with fixed bandwidth (1/4/6 Mbps) and unlimited volume, others with unlimited bandwidth and fixed volume (speed drops). Terms range from 1 day to 1 week to 1 month to 1 year. Some plans automatically renew while others must be manually renewed.

 

http://www.prosermthaisim.com/index.php

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, your links are out of date.

 

AIS and True SIMs registered from the 1st of Feb apply volume limits to their fixed bandwidth plans now. Only DTAC does not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Hotpot, or Mobile AP, is a standard feature here, and as such is not blocked here as it might be in the U.S., where some plans might charge extra for this feature.

 

You will be able to create a Mobile AP on your unlocked Samsung S7 - which should work here on some/many/all LTE frequencies - and share the mobile data connection to multiple local WLAN devices/connections including your iPad.

 

Be advised that:

 

Without a mobile data subscription, your prepaid balance will quickly be depleted at the rate of 1 baht/min so turn off mobile data until you have subscribed to a plan.

 

SIM/packages sold at the airport can, for the most part, be converted to "Standard" SIMs after their initial term of 7/15 days.

 

If you can wait, maybe better to buy a "Standard" SIM for ~ 50 baht, then add value, then subscribe to a monthly data plan. 

 

Most prices exclude 7% VAT so remember to factor that into any to-up activity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No need to wait, they sell 49 baht Tourist SIMs at the same Tourist booths that sell the Tourist SIMs with bundles attached.

So one can just buy a 49 baht Tourist SIM and add a bundle to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You think too much" :smile:

Get a (standard) SIM from one the major providers.

Book a mobile flat rate plan for one month (can be extended any time for another month).

For your purpose you don't need unlimited speed or the like.

AIS e.g. has plans for 4, 6 or 10 MBit/s (unlimited data volume) which is fully sufficient for you.

Not much worry about WiFi hot spot access or not, even though some offerings include that.

 

Prices for flat rate at AIS:

4 Mbit/s, 30 days, 650 Baht

6 Mbit/s, 30 days, 850 Baht

10 Mbit/s, 30 days, 1100 Baht

 

And as described you can use "tethering/mobile hotspot" on your phone to supply WiFi for the iPad.

 

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"You think too much" :smile:

Get a (standard) SIM from one the major providers.

Book a mobile flat rate plan for one month (can be extended any time for another month).

For your purpose you don't need unlimited speed or the like.

AIS e.g. has plans for 4, 6 or 10 MBit/s (unlimited data volume) which is fully sufficient for you.

Not much worry about WiFi hot spot access or not, even though some offerings include that.

 

Prices for flat rate at AIS:

4 Mbit/s, 30 days, 650 Baht

6 Mbit/s, 30 days, 850 Baht

10 Mbit/s, 30 days, 1100 Baht

 

And as described you can use "tethering/mobile hotspot" on your phone to supply WiFi for the iPad.

 

 

Nope....it's all change at AIS AND True for newly registered SIMs; http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

 

Now all have a data limit. In GBs;

7.5 @ 1 Mbps

20 @ 4 Mbps

25 @ 6 Mbps

33 @ 10 Mbps

 

Plus your prices are wrong anyway, as you haven't included VAT.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for truly unlimited, my choice would be DTAC; http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/net-no-limit.html

 

Pick up a standard 49 baht SIM, add the commensurate amount of credit. 535 baht(VAT inclusive) per 30 days for unlimited data capped at 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s)

 

1 Mbps at 321 baht(VAT inclusive) per 30 days is suitable for general browsing, but your video chats might stutter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an alternative, if you already know your address in Thailand, you can pre-order one of these;

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-4mbps-200100gb-6-i265207202-s412358601.html

 

Up to six months of data, SIM speed capped at 4 Mbps. 200 GB for data and and extra 100 GB for YouTube/Facebook etc for 499 baht in total.

 

More than enough for your needs.

 

Alternatively; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-4-mbps-i282196457-s459676560.html

 

119 baht for the SIM gets you 4 Mbps for the first 30 days. Top up at least 150 just before the first thirty day runs out and you'll get another 30 days of 4 Mbps.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Get a (standard) SIM from one the major providers.

 

10 Mbit/s, 30 days, 1100 Baht

 

And as described you can use "tethering/mobile hotspot" on your phone to supply WiFi for the iPad.

Purchased SIM from AIS for 50 Baht.  Purchased the 33 gb, 30 days package for 1100 Baht.  Used the Mobile Hotspot exclusively yesterday and used 1 gb.  I was advised that the unlimited package was for a longer subscription.  33 gb will be more than enough for me.  

 

Being old and not understanding technology, I did not realize that phone calls and texting were not included.  I did not understand “topping off.”  Woke up to 75+ AIS texts that said my sending two text failed because of no Baht.  Lol.

 

Went over to Central Festival, 5 minute walk, and they assisted me topping off, putting excellant AIS ap on my phone in English and they gave me an extra 1gb for free on my package.  The ap is excellant and you can watch your levels easily as you use the systems.

 

Thanks again all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, KneeDeep said:

 

Nope....it's all change at AIS AND True for newly registered SIMs; http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/addon/en/nonstop.html

 

Now all have a data limit. In GBs;

7.5 @ 1 Mbps

20 @ 4 Mbps

25 @ 6 Mbps

33 @ 10 Mbps

 

Plus your prices are wrong anyway, as you haven't included VAT.

This was very true.  The 1100 was pre-VAT and the 23 Baht or so went to phone and texting.  That is where I blew it.  I went through the 23 bought left out of 1200 Baht paid and, then, the 75+ texts started.  Paid the 50 Baht for SIM separate.

 

Learn something new every day.  😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, George36 said:

This was very true.  The 1100 was pre-VAT and the 23 Baht or so went to phone and texting.  That is where I blew it.  I went through the 23 bought left out of 1200 Baht paid and, then, the 75+ texts started.  Paid the 50 Baht for SIM separate.

 

Learn something new every day.  😀😀

 

Unfortunately, you didn't.

 

I explained, very clearly, that you should go for a DTAC SIM. Same 49 baht.

 

The reason for this, is that DTAC is the only one to offer Unlimited data. Not only that, but is it much cheaper than the package that you decided to purchase.

 

The package that I recommended to you, again very clearly, cost 535 baht. You paid 1177 baht for a limited data package.

 

Whilst you might think that 4 Mbps is worse than the 10 Mbps package you bought, you would be right, until you notice the DTAC is offering you double the speed for free. So you would get an 8 Mbps(1 MB/s) connection for 535 baht, instead of the limited 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) connection for which you paid 1177 baht.

 

If you decide to come back with 8 Mbps not being enough, you also had the option of the 10 Mbps connection with DTAC for 650 baht + VAT equalling 695.5 baht.

So that would be a truly unlimited 20 Mbps(2.5 MB/s) connection for 695.50 baht.

 

Instead, you totally ignored my advice. I've put much in bold, as my earlier post seems to have passed you by.

 

33 GB is nothing. You can easily use that up, especially if you download media.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, George36 said:

 

Purchased SIM from AIS for 50 Baht.  Purchased the 33 gb, 30 days package for 1100 Baht.  Used the Mobile Hotspot exclusively yesterday and used 1 gb.  I was advised that the unlimited package was for a longer subscription.  33 gb will be more than enough for me.  

 

Being old and not understanding technology, I did not realize that phone calls and texting were not included.  I did not understand “topping off.”  Woke up to 75+ AIS texts that said my sending two text failed because of no Baht.  Lol.

 

Went over to Central Festival, 5 minute walk, and they assisted me topping off, putting excellant AIS ap on my phone in English and they gave me an extra 1gb for free on my package.  The ap is excellant and you can watch your levels easily as you use the systems.

 

Thanks again all.

 

 

As an aside,, the 1 GB of data (for 7 days) that you think they gave you as an extra, comes with the SIM when you top up at least 150 baht. They didn't give you anything extra.

 

http://www.ais.co.th/theonesim/?intcid=one2call-simcard-en-packsim-theonesim

 

Quote
  • THE ONE SIM opens a number to receive a free bonus of 5 baht and 30 days of usage
  • Play 8 social applications: Facebook, Facebook Messenger, LINE, Instagram, Twitter, WeChat, WhatsApp, Bee Talk at 1 Mbps.
  • See AIS PLAY at 7.2 Mbps, use AIS SUPER WiFi, full speed 3 GB at 650 Mbps. After that, use at 256 kbps. Check the balance of AIS SUPER WiFi. Press * 199 * 9 #. phone-receiver.png
  • When the top up amount is 150 baht, the customer will receive an SMS to receive the desired free package.
  • Watch movies or series for free and use unlimited internet for each selected application.
  • Customers will receive SMS within 15 days after top-up.
  • Customers can only choose to receive one free package. In the next month, receive the selected package When top up at 150 baht, get 3 months free package.
  •  The above price does not include 7% VAT

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am back to figuring out what to do for my next trip starting next week.  

 

KneeDeep, what is the best right now please?  Dtac?  Appreciate your thoughts and insights.  I am not very smart in this area.

 

I will be attempting to use a VPN to stream Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon and You-tube and would also appreciate information about mobile power pack.  I believe that I can rent one upon arrival in Thailand??

 

Thanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...