New Medicare card.

marcusarelus

Got a letter from US Gov.  Have new Medicare card mailed.  Call XXXXXXXXXX from a U.S mobile Number.  What are they nuts?  If I live in Thailand how am I going to get a U.S. mobile number?  Turned out to be no problem.  Got an Android app and number and called - nice lady verified my birth date and Thai address and SS number and the card will arrive in 4 weeks.  If I had a social sec site on line I could print it out but I don't and don't really want to give them a USA address because they might get confused and start mailing my information there.  

You can "not" print out a Medicare card from your mySSA online account.  Now, you can see what you new Medicare number is in your mySSA online SS pension benefit statement....it's listed in one sentence on the statement....but it just tells you the number...it's not a card.  

Regarding the new Medicare cards you "can" request one using your mySSA account...basically you just click a link and then it says your card is on the way....should arrive with 30 days.  Unfortunately, both the wife and I have requested a new Medicare card using our mySSA account three times since Oct 18.  To date, no cards have shown up.  We both have Thailand addresses on file with the SSA and Medicare.

By the way, if you don't want to post the phone number you called on an open forum, can you PM the number to me?   Thanks.

I just got off the phone with the Medicare folks....called the Medicare number in the snapshot above.  Ordered Medicare cards for the wife and I.   Told the Medicare rep we had ordered one several times from our mySSA online accounts since Oct 18, but no cards ever showed up.  We have an military APO mailing address here in Thailand on-file with SSA and Medicare.  

Anyway, the rep was super helpful and ordered replacement/new cards for the wife and I.  The rep said their records did show a card being mailed to the wife on 4 Jan but nothing on record for a new card being mailed to me.   Maybe the wife's new card is waiting at the APO mail room for pickup as it's been about 10 days since checking mail...requires a drive into central Bangkok.  

The rep did say the card can be printed out once you signup for an online Medicare account at "medicare.gov"....not to be confused with an online mySSA account at www.ssa.gov.  Tomorrow I'll check to see if the wife and I can create online Medicare accounts using our overseas APO address which would allow us to print them out..figure it can hurt to try.     

https://www.mymedicare.gov/

1 minute ago, Pib said:

I just got off the phone with the Medicare folks....called the Medicare number in the snapshot above.  Ordered Medicare cards for the wife and I.   Told the Medicare rep we had ordered one several times from our mySSA online accounts since Oct 18, but no cards ever showed up.  We have an military APO mailing address here in Thailand on-file with SSA and Medicare.  

Anyway, the rep was super helpful and ordered replacement/new cards for the wife and I.  The rep said their records did show a card being mailed to the wife on 4 Jan but nothing on record for a new card being mailed to me.   Maybe the wife's new card is waiting at the APO mail room for pickup as it's been about 10 days since checking mail...requires a drive into central Bangkok.  

The rep did say the card can be printed out once you signup for an online Medicare account at "medicare.gov"....not to be confused with an online mySSA account at www.ssa.gov.  Tomorrow I'll check to see if the wife and I can create online Medicare accounts using our overseas APO address which would allow us to print them out..figure it can hurt to try.     

https://www.mymedicare.gov/

Can't sign up without a medicare number.  I just tried.

But the wife and I know our new Medicare numbers since the number is included in one sentence on our mySSA online SS benefit statements   So, tomorrow I'll give creating an online Medicare account a try.  But for now, I'm going to bed.  Thanks and cheers. 

PS for others listening in: they have humans at that Medicare 1800 24/7....super helpful....I've called them a few times before.  You still have to go thru a few interactive voice prompts at the beginning of the call but you can get a human pretty fast.    So, so different that if trying to call the SSA and finding a helpful representative.

The new Medicare card damn burst today....the wife and I are overflowing in new cards.  Both of us registered for an online Medicare.gov account today....no problems....printed out our new Medicare cards from out accounts.  And then I went and checked my APO mail and we both received new cards in the mail.   

Registering for an online Medicare account was easy....but you need to know your new Medicare number (which the wife and I knew from looking at our SSA benefit statement) and start date of your Medicare Part A/B (which for most folks is the month & year they turned 65).  No need to enter your address to registered like you need to do in creating an online mySSA account which is also checked against credit reporting agency files for a match....no public records check.   Once online with our Medicare online account it was showing the APO address we have on file with Medicare and SSA.

Yeap...now awash in new Medicare cards and registering for an online Medicare account was easy.  

https://www.medicare.gov/

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The new Medicare card damn burst today....the wife and I are overflowing in new cards.  Both of us registered for an online Medicare.gov account today....no problems....printed out our new Medicare cards from out accounts.  And then I went and checked my APO mail and we both received new cards in the mail.   

Registering for an online Medicare account was easy....but you need to know your new Medicare number (which the wife and I knew from looking at our SSA benefit statement) and start date of your Medicare Part A/B (which for most folks is the month & year they turned 65).  No need to enter your address to registered like you need to do in creating an online mySSA account which is also checked against credit reporting agency files for a match....no public records check.   Once online with our Medicare online account it was showing the APO address we have on file with Medicare and SSA.

Yeap...now awash in new Medicare cards and registering for an online Medicare account was easy.  

https://www.medicare.gov/

Where is the medicare number on the SSA benefit statement?  All I see is BNC# or another number above my name on the address that I don't recognize

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Where is the medicare number on the SSA benefit statement?  All I see is BNC# or another number above my name on the address that I don't recognize

It's in middle of page 2.   And remember, I'm talking the online SS benefit statement which may be a little different than the one they mail out.

image.png.ed3ddf2bc4e6ddc4ac0343b068f9fcb5.png

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

can Medicare be used for anything in Thailand? the answer is no, correct?

Correct unless you are retired military.   For retired military Part B enrollment is required to continue Tricare coverage...Tricare provides worldwide coverage....on the moon...on Mars....anywhere.   Normally Tricare coverage ends up reaching the grand old age of 65 "unless" the military retiree enrolls in Medicare Part B coverage (ditto for the military retiree's spouse)....the military retiree can be living in or out of the US to enroll in Part B.  If enrolled in Part B he can continue Tricare medical coverage, but he can not get any Medicare coverage/reimbursement outside the US.  However, once he sets foot on US soil for one second or forever he's immediately covered under Medicare Part A and B plus Tricare....has dual coverage.   Leave the US again to come back to Thailand he's back to Tricare coverage only....go back to the US once again Medicare and Tricare dual coverage.  So for a military retiree enrollment in Part B coverage is a must if they want to continue Tricare coverage, whether they live in or outside the U.S.

Archived