169 million plastic bags unused at 7-Eleven stores in two months

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 169 million plastic bags have been left unused at Thailand’s 7-Eleven stores in the past two months a huge amount of single-use plastic not making its way into the environment.

Ok. So where do those 169 mio bags make their way to?

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Getting in to the minds of locals how their use and disposal  of plastics effect the environment however small is a large move in the right direction.

The excessive use of plastic in packaging and bags is not the responsibility of 'locals' or the consumer;  Or your patronizing  suggestion for the need to 'educate' them in proper use and disposal .

The fact is manufactures and retailers provide little or no alternative.

It is the need of  getting into the  Corporate mind how the use and disposal  of plastics effect the environment, and instead of concentrating only on maximizing their profits.

3 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

The excessive use of plastic in packaging and bags is not the responsibility of 'locals' or the consumer;  Or your patronizing  suggestion for the need to 'educate' them in proper use and disposal .

The fact is manufactures and retailers provide little or no alternative.

It is the need of  getting into the  Corporate mind how the use and disposal  of plastics effect the environment, and instead of concentrating only on maximizing their profits.

seems 7/11 might have seen the light about maximising profits ….. 

5 hours ago, djayz said:

I can only say that most of those bags were not used because customers told staff not to put their groceries into a bag. It most certainly wasn't staff who asked their customers if they wanted a bag or not. 

Bought a banana yesterday, which is already in a bag!, for my son. The cashier girl then put that in yet another plastic bag.... ???? One banana, 2 plastic bags... go figure.

There's still a long way to go before they make any real progress, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

You should have taken your banana out..........????.

14 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Same for you, its a step in the right direction have to start somewhere 

Not using plastic bags is not even close to good enough, plastic bottle use has to end, along with plastic cups, plates, bowls, cutlery and packaging.

The planet is in crisis and patting ourselves on the back for not using totally unnecessary products is not going to cut it.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47203344

6 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

5 Baht a bag? Someone's havin' a laugh!

It's 20 satang a bag. 

33 Million Baht value of 169 million bags.

Value-per-bag = (33/169) = 0.20 baht i.e. 20 satang.

Which school of mathematics did you go to?

3 hours ago, MrMo said:

You need to go back to primary numbers class, CelticBhoy.   That's 33m Baht divided by 169m bags which comes out real close to 5 satang a bag.

Correct.  The guy obviously divided it the other way round which would give how many bags to the baht  == 5.

They still automatically put plastic spoon and fork in the bag when you get a ready meal heated, even though I don't want them or use them. They never ask, same with straws. I get milk for tea, not to drink through a straw. 

They still waste and staff are not trained to ask. If they ask you every time if you require a bag, it might remind some to carry one and ask if the customer wants any kind of plastic. Including covers for drinks.

7 hours ago, djayz said:

I can only say that most of those bags were not used because customers told staff not to put their groceries into a bag. It most certainly wasn't staff who asked their customers if they wanted a bag or not. 

Bought a banana yesterday, which is already in a bag!, for my son. The cashier girl then put that in yet another plastic bag.... ???? One banana, 2 plastic bags... go figure.

There's still a long way to go before they make any real progress, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

And it is already sealed in nature' protective skin. What need for a bag?

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Absolutely.

I have tried before to get a response from 7 Eleven about this claim, but they never respond.

As I have also said too - what 7 Eleven say on their website and in their PR blurb is a lie. Staff DO NOT ask customers if they want a bag for single item purchases, as 7 Eleven keep claiming.

Do they physically force you to take a bag and call the police if you refuse?

My Thai isn't great but I always manage to leave a store bagless if I want.

Most staff understand "no thanks" or "it's ok" at the counter.

1 minute ago, shy coconut said:
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Absolutely.

I have tried before to get a response from 7 Eleven about this claim, but they never respond.

As I have also said too - what 7 Eleven say on their website and in their PR blurb is a lie. Staff DO NOT ask customers if they want a bag for single item purchases, as 7 Eleven keep claiming.

Yes, they pointed a gun at my head. No, I tell them I don't want one, that is not a problem.

Seriously, the point is 7 Eleven claim they are asking all customers if they want a bag with every single item purchase, but they're not.

It's PR to make them look as though they're doing something proactively, when they aren't.

That's what gets my goat - no doubt put in a 7 Eleven plastic bag as it would be seen as a single item.

I think sometime back in the past, in 7-11 training, cashier's were pressed on the

importance of bagging everything.

It took time for the west to adapt and I'm sure Thailand will catch up.

The big thing in the UK now is the cellophane wrapping around fresh produce

and the lack of recycling opportunities for it, some supermarkets are providing

bins for this and are looking at better ways to package products, but I'm sure 

it will need to be cost effective.

2 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Mai Ao Thung works 100%.

Some of their staff ask if I want a bag but that may be the ones that know me.

8 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Yes Plastic bags are only the tip of the iceberg. Baby steps but in the right direction. 169 million is less than one bag per person per month. Keep up the education, awareness and publicity and bigger and better things are on offer. I'm a hopeful pessimist,

We're way beyond baby steps, we need radical surgery if we are to slow down, let alone halt or reverse, the damage we are inflicting upon the planet.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

In my area they ask and thank you if you don't take a bag. Its a mainly Thai area maybe they just don't like dealing with grumpy expats who will throw a fit if they don't get a bag. (there have been topics on Thaisvisa where posters lost it when they could not get a bag).

Anyway things are slowly changing for the better, its a lot bags less. But of course all we can do is complain about this because its not perfect. Guess what nothing ever is.

As for water bottles and other stuff, i separate them and the village collection people are happy as they sell them on for recycling. 

Why is it there is always ex pats that get on here and whine and cry and bitch about anything. 7/11 is doing a great thing but cant be expected to accomplish this overnight. 7/11s in my area many times ask and I have been thanked for saying no bag. On Koh Samed you are not allowed to take plastic bags or styrofoam containers onto the island and if you go to 7/11 if you don't have a bag they have reusable bags for sale. It has to start somehere so do your part instead of bitching about it and be part of the solution instead of sitting there whining and bitching about it 

Archived