169 million plastic bags unused at 7-Eleven stores in two months

webfact

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And they expect us to believe this garbage ?

If I look to all the customers in the 7 which I visit almost daily I honestly see only once in a while someone who brings his/her own bag. 

I do not believe that they saved 169mil bags in 2 months! Do the math. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Which all get recycled, so what's your point?

Some get recycled.

The vast majority is not. 

The point is some may get recycled, but that doesn’t slow down the production of these non biodegradable products.

They are a menace to the planet, both on land and in it’s oceans. 

Recycling is not the answer to plastic toxicity, reduction in production is the only solution to the problem in the short, medium and long term. 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, djayz said:

It most certainly wasn't staff who asked their customers if they wanted a bag or not.

Totally. I lived in Phuket. Every day, for about a month, I went to the same 7-11 and bought some small items, nuts or something like that. And everyday the same stuff members put it me a <deleted> plastic bag. Sometimes I asked them "why?" The looked at each other not understanding neither what "why" means in in English, nor what the hell I'm unhappy about at all. ???? Each time I returned that <deleted> bag back to them. And the next time it'd happen all over again.

Walked 3 miles the other day on a beach in Texas, which is notorious for conspicuous consumption, disposable everything, and zillions of plastic grocery bags and single use beverage containers dispensed every day.

Not one plastic bag, bottle, or can on the entire 3 miles of beach.  

The problem isn't the bottles and bags.  It's the lack of political will to do something about littering and solid waste disposal.

15 hours ago, hakama said:

Totally. I lived in Phuket. Every day, for about a month, I went to the same 7-11 and bought some small items, nuts or something like that. And everyday the same stuff members put it me a <deleted> plastic bag. Sometimes I asked them "why?" The looked at each other not understanding neither what "why" means in in English, nor what the hell I'm unhappy about at all. ???? Each time I returned that <deleted> bag back to them. And the next time it'd happen all over again.

The staff at that branch must be hard of learning.

When I go in 7-11 I always take my own bag.  Even if I only buy one bottle of milk and show them that I have my own bag they still want to put in two plastic bags before they give it to me.   They need to educate their staff, if that's possible.

we've tried brought our own bags at Big C and Tesco, well, first problem, when buying vegies, etc..

they took our onions from our bag, put them in plastic bag and weigh them!

Because of Thai habits this plastic bag novelties in not going to change for years to come. At Market places

one would have to bring dozens of bags big and small, as we don't want to mix fish with strawberries! 

I've tried to take my own bags into Makro in Nakhin Sawan and the guard at the entrance won't let me, I had to check them at the desk, shop and then wheel the cart to the check in counter to get the bags to put the groceries in.  The other option was to purchase Makro bags at checkout which of course were plastic!

On 2/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, djayz said:

I can only say that most of those bags were not used because customers told staff not to put their groceries into a bag. It most certainly wasn't staff who asked their customers if they wanted a bag or not. 

Bought a banana yesterday, which is already in a bag!, for my son. The cashier girl then put that in yet another plastic bag.... ???? One banana, 2 plastic bags... go figure.

There's still a long way to go before they make any real progress, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Exactly !

In particular at 7/11 on Hang Dong Road adjacent to Koolpunt Five.

Not only are the staff incapable/ un-interested in asking about the use of Plastic Bags, you can’t even get a GRUNT out of them.

They're all too busy chattering and laughing amongst themselves to even thank Customers at the conclusion of their transaction.

Seems RUDENESS is a prerequisite for anyone seeking a job at that particular 7/11 store.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Sumarianson said:

They still automatically put plastic spoon and fork in the bag when you get a ready meal heated, even though I don't want them or use them. They never ask, same with straws. I get milk for tea, not to drink through a straw. 

They still waste and staff are not trained to ask. If they ask you every time if you require a bag, it might remind some to carry one and ask if the customer wants any kind of plastic. Including covers for drinks.

i get straws even on a two litre  bottle  of  milk?????

1 hour ago, Torrens54 said:

Exactly !

In particular at 7/11 on Hang Dong Road adjacent to Koolpunt Five.

Not only are the staff incapable/ un-interested in asking about the use of Plastic Bags, you can’t even get a GRUNT out of them.

They're all too busy chattering and laughing amongst themselves to even thank Customers at the conclusion of their transaction.

Seems RUDENESS is a prerequisite for anyone seeking a job at that particular 7/11 store.

they ALL need a  good  kick up the arse, same round here sometimes they dont even  look at you so I hold  out the change out of their reach and dont look at them see how they like it, not that they even care. 

They have an attention span of a 2  year old, any minor distraction and they are gone, laughing at someone elses comment 20 feet away whilst  adding their  own inane drivel to whatever crap was being said sometimes in that horrible screechy overbearingly  loud Thai way

Archived