BANGKOK 20 March 2019 02:00
webfact

169 million plastic bags unused at 7-Eleven stores in two months

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

With row upon row of plastic water bottles in the background as well.

Which all get recycled, so what's your point?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And they expect us to believe this garbage ?

If I look to all the customers in the 7 which I visit almost daily I honestly see only once in a while someone who brings his/her own bag. 

I do not believe that they saved 169mil bags in 2 months! Do the math. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Which all get recycled, so what's your point?

Some get recycled.

The vast majority is not. 

The point is some may get recycled, but that doesn’t slow down the production of these non biodegradable products.

They are a menace to the planet, both on land and in it’s oceans. 

Recycling is not the answer to plastic toxicity, reduction in production is the only solution to the problem in the short, medium and long term. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 2

Only 169 million? The wife has more than that stashed under the sink, all neatly folded and stored for some unspecified future use. Does it both in Thai and Oz too.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, djayz said:

It most certainly wasn't staff who asked their customers if they wanted a bag or not.

Totally. I lived in Phuket. Every day, for about a month, I went to the same 7-11 and bought some small items, nuts or something like that. And everyday the same stuff members put it me a <deleted> plastic bag. Sometimes I asked them "why?" The looked at each other not understanding neither what "why" means in in English, nor what the hell I'm unhappy about at all. 🤣 Each time I returned that <deleted> bag back to them. And the next time it'd happen all over again.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

Walked 3 miles the other day on a beach in Texas, which is notorious for conspicuous consumption, disposable everything, and zillions of plastic grocery bags and single use beverage containers dispensed every day.

Not one plastic bag, bottle, or can on the entire 3 miles of beach.  

The problem isn't the bottles and bags.  It's the lack of political will to do something about littering and solid waste disposal.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hakama said:

Totally. I lived in Phuket. Every day, for about a month, I went to the same 7-11 and bought some small items, nuts or something like that. And everyday the same stuff members put it me a <deleted> plastic bag. Sometimes I asked them "why?" The looked at each other not understanding neither what "why" means in in English, nor what the hell I'm unhappy about at all. 🤣 Each time I returned that <deleted> bag back to them. And the next time it'd happen all over again.

The staff at that branch must be hard of learning.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The staff at that branch must be hard of learning.

... and then they wonder why they're worth only THB 300/day.  

When I go in 7-11 I always take my own bag.  Even if I only buy one bottle of milk and show them that I have my own bag they still want to put in two plastic bags before they give it to me.   They need to educate their staff, if that's possible.

we've tried brought our own bags at Big C and Tesco, well, first problem, when buying vegies, etc..

they took our onions from our bag, put them in plastic bag and weigh them!

Because of Thai habits this plastic bag novelties in not going to change for years to come. At Market places

one would have to bring dozens of bags big and small, as we don't want to mix fish with strawberries! 

I've tried to take my own bags into Makro in Nakhin Sawan and the guard at the entrance won't let me, I had to check them at the desk, shop and then wheel the cart to the check in counter to get the bags to put the groceries in.  The other option was to purchase Makro bags at checkout which of course were plastic!

Reported post removed.

I am a meat and potatos kind of guy.....Plastic bags yesterday,Plastic bags today,Plastic bags forever.....I am not changing ever....

And how will those 'unused' bags be disposed?