Transferwise New Fee Structure Effective 1 Mar 19

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Pib said:

Ours posts are passing in the night.  We were both right.  A SGD to THB fee decrease for lower amounts and a SGD to THB fee increase for larger amounts.   Price out 1,000 and 10,000 SGD to THB transfers and you'll see.

Will work out what's the sweet spot tomorrow, obviously doesn't pay to send too much.

17 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

But, that is not what you do with it. It's up to the bank to confirm that deposits come from abroad. So you stick it on the desk of your branch manager and say 'confirm'. (politely of course!)

I don't think anyone knows yet what part of that foreign transfer verification is supposed to end up being done by the bank letter vs the passbook.

Are the banks going to be asked to write a letter specifically confirming 12 monthly foreign deposits? Or, are they going to continue writing the same owner ID and balance letters they've always written, and leave it up to the bank book codes being deciphered by the IOs. Again, we have no idea, AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As per my prior post:

Sheryl, as I just answered to a similar post elsewhere, at this point, I don't really think anyone knows how Immigration is going to handle the foreign transfer verifications, or, what kinds of documentation they will and won't accept.

AFAIK, we don't even know at this point if the banks are going to come up with a new form letter for Immigration that specifically confirms you've had 12 monthly foreign transfers coming into your account? Or, are they going to continue with the same old owner ID and balance letters, and leave it up to Immigration to decipher the transfer transaction codes in the bank book line items?

Will Immigration consider other external documentation of the type you're suggesting, or are they ONLY going to rely on the two documents referenced in their latest rules, the bank passbook and the letter from the receiving bank?  Will they consider Transferwise documents coming in EN from outside Thailand??? I highly doubt that.

To assume all kinds of other things are going to be acceptable proof -- if the Thai bank letter and bank passbook don't specifically document 12 monthly foreign transfers -- I think at this point is an unproven stretch.

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

But, that is not what you do with it. It's up to the bank to confirm that deposits come from abroad. So you stick it on the desk of your branch manager and say 'confirm'. (politely of course!)

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think anyone knows yet what part of that foreign transfer verification is supposed to end up being done by the bank letter vs the passbook.

Are the banks going to be asked to write a letter specifically confirming 12 monthly foreign deposits? Or, are they going to continue writing the same owner ID and balance letters they've always written, and leave it up to the bank book codes being deciphered by the IOs. Again, we have no idea, AFAIK.

It would appear that you weren't following this topic. It was all the rage this morning.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083740-marriageretirement-interpretations-explained/

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It would appear that you weren't following this topic. It was all the rage this morning.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083740-marriageretirement-interpretations-explained/

Nope, I was out this morning and haven't read that thread until now...

Local passbooks or statements may not confirm overseas payments. You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter. 

According to TI, all bank HQ's are already aware of Immigrations requirements for detailed statements showing overseas transfers, which your local branch may not be able to confirm or supply.

I'm still not convinced....  What gets reported from one Immigration outpost may or may not come to be the way all the offices handle things. And, I'll be real curious to see how the various Thai banks do at dredging up documentation for up to 12 month old transfers, and how that's going to fare.

And then pertinent to this thread specifically, there's the looming question of whether all the Thai banks except for BKK Bank will even recognize TFW transfers as foreign source, given that their systems right now don't appear to do so in many cases, because of TFW actually moving the funds from other Thai banks... Etc etc.

Suffice to say, I'll seriously be very keen to see what happens the first time someone requests from various of the Thai bank HQs documentation of 12 months of back transfers done via Transferwise, especially if the receiving bank is not BKKB....

Not to mention, some/many Immigration Offices have up until now been demanding that the bank letter be done either the day of your application or maybe only the day before. I believe CW falls into the category. So given the delays from the bank HQ issuing their letter to the time the accountholder can get and use it, are the Immigration offices going to start relaxing their time limits rules on the letters?  Let's see...

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am in the process of doing my first TW transaction. A few bits of info for new users:

1. When you set it up, you will need to upload jpg (not pdf) file of the face page of your passport and also of a pix of a bank statement or utility bill or the like showing your address, can't be more than 3 months old.  So have these already on the device you are using to set up your account. I didn't and was caught by surprise when they required these and it delayed things. (Very annoying: what don't they tell people ahead of time what to have ready?). I don't know what they will accept for proof of address if you don't get bank statements or utility bills in your name to your Thai address as I do.  You only have to do this once, you get an email that they have verified your documents and then it is saved.

@Sheryl

Not to disagree with you, but for people living in UK and setting up TW for the first time, this doesn't always apply. I did mine as a new TW user in December 2018 and during the setup, TW did warn me about the possible need for additional documents. However as I'm on the Electoral (Voters) Register and supplied TW my home address, my ID was confirmed without any additional documents. This is how many UK financial institutions work these days but I don't know about other countries.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sheryl, as I just answered to a similar post elsewhere, at this point, I don't really think anyone knows how Immigration is going to handle the foreign transfer verifications, or, what kinds of documentation they will and won't accept.

AFAIK, we don't even know at this point if the banks are going to come up with a new form letter for Immigration that specifically confirms you've had 12 monthly foreign transfers coming into your account? Or, are they going to continue with the same old owner ID and balance letters, and leave it up to Immigration to decipher the transfer transaction codes in the bank book line items?

Will Immigration consider other external documentation of the type you're suggesting, or are they ONLY going to rely on the two documents referenced in their latest rules, the bank passbook and the letter from the receiving bank?  Will they consider Transferwise documents coming in EN from outside Thailand??? I highly doubt that.

To assume all kinds of other things are going to be acceptable proof -- if the Thai bank letter and bank passbook don't specifically document 12 monthly foreign transfers -- I think at this point is an unproven stretch.

Not assuming anything, just advising people who decide to proceed with TW what best to do to position themselves to be able to meet IO requirements based on the new rules. It is impossible to predict the vagarities of individual IOs, but there is information on what TI has in mind.

The new rules say "bank statement" not passbook.  Though I expect a passbook might be accepted IF it contains the necessary detail, often they do not . Per this thread, senior imm officers in division 4 have said that all bank HQs have been advised of what is needed and detailed statements are available from bank HQ (not local branches) that  will provide the necessary level of detail.  There is a sample of such a statement in the thread.

Of course it remains to be seen if indeed the statements obtained from HQ of all banks really do all contain this clear  description of fund origin and it very much remains to be seen how a TW transfer that came via a different Thai bank first would show.

And, as we all know, individual IOs will vary in what they want and what they can understand or are willing to take the time to review.  

It certainly will not hurt and can only help to have info on transfers from abroad including in the bank letter. I have always been able to get this from my local branch by explaining what I needed and providing them copies of the Credit Advice(s). (These I had to call the bank HQ to obtain).

Attached is a sample of such a letter. It was issued to me by my local branch based on bankbook and copies of Credit Advice. The first para is the standard confirmation of account and balance. The second contains details of transfers in from abroad. In this instance only two transfers but could easily contain 12 especially if all details except the date and amount were the same.

Bank letter for visa

4 hours ago, VBF said:

@Sheryl

Not to disagree with you, but for people living in UK and setting up TW for the first time, this doesn't always apply. I did mine as a new TW user in December 2018 and during the setup, TW did warn me about the possible need for additional documents. However as I'm on the Electoral (Voters) Register and supplied TW my home address, my ID was confirmed without any additional documents. This is how many UK financial institutions work these days but I don't know about other countries.

My experience was with entering a Thai address. For that it required both passport face page and proof of address as I described. I don't know if same would apply to all nationalities giving a Thai address but might.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, Sheryl said:

My experience was with entering a Thai address. For that it required both passport face page and proof of address as I described. I don't know if same would apply to all nationalities giving a Thai address but might.

You were prompted for passport and address confirmation when you signed up?  I wasn't and after reading your earlier post, logged in and poked around all my account areas and didn't see anything.  Filled out my Profile thinking that might prompt another screen for more details, but nothing.  I haven't tried to do a transfer yet, feels like I'm definitely missing some steps somewhere compared to your and other posts on this.

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

You were prompted for passport and address confirmation when you signed up?  I wasn't and after reading your earlier post, logged in and poked around all my account areas and didn't see anything.  Filled out my Profile thinking that might prompt another screen for more details, but nothing.  I haven't tried to do a transfer yet, feels like I'm definitely missing some steps somewhere compared to your and other posts on this.

I didn't do a separate sign up I went straight to making a transfer, they automatically create an account when you do that.

So this may come up when you go to do a transfer.

Meanwhile my attempt to make a TW transfer for the first time is now 5 days old and getting nowhere fast.

First, after spending an hour entering all the data and uploading scans of things I did nto anticipate needing, I hit a roadblock in that the payment method I wanted (ACH debit) was nto highlighted. Attempts at lice chat failed, offline. Emailed to ask why, next day no response (and "online chat" still offline) so I went back in and this time noticed that in faint print below the non-activated ACH option it gave a cash limit in excess of my transfer. I emailed to ask if there was any way to edit the amount since I had already spent so much time . Took another  2 days and repeated emails to get a response, answer was no.

So I started all over, this time for an amount below what I now knew was the maximum for ACH. Got as far as select bank, mine not listed, selected "other" and input the required info but got error message that they could not link to my account and would instead make a small transfer and to enter the details when it showed up in my statement. OK. 24 hours later, nothing deposited in my account. Another 24 hours (now) and it shows. So I went to log on expecting to come to something that would let e enter the details and link my account, only to get an "account deactivated" notice".  They had previously notified that my documents (passport, proof of address) had been verified so it's not that. I can only assume it is because I failed to enter the details of the money they put into my account quickly enough to suit them, though it is definitely less than 24 hours since the money arrived and I have been checking for it daily.

SO I have emailed to ask why my account is deactivated  (E-chat was for the first time in all this actually accessible,  but needless to say of no help).  From experience to date it will be days before I get an answer.

Not living up to expectations here...

AAAGH. Tell me this gets better?

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

AAAGH. Tell me this gets better?

I'm from UK & I suspect things are a little different.. 

I set up my account with a scan of my PP & a downloaded statement from my UK bank (with a UK address).  I then made my first transfer using my bank to send the cash direct to my TW account... No problems, the cash arrived in my Thai account the next day.

I know others both from UK & Oz, who've tried making their transfers using TW to "pull" funds from their source account, and had no end of troubles.

I'm not saying that this is your the problem, but I'm happy to stick with what I know works for me.

18 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I'm from UK & I suspect things are a little different.. 

I set up my account with a scan of my PP & a downloaded statement from my UK bank (with a UK address).  I then made my first transfer using my bank to send the cash direct to my TW account... No problems, the cash arrived in my Thai account the next day.

I know others both from UK & Oz, who've tried making their transfers using TW to "pull" funds from their source account, and had no end of troubles.

I'm not saying that this is your the problem, but I'm happy to stick with what I know works for me.

You mean you did a wire transfer from your bank to them?

That was an option but I wanted to avoid the fee, the whole point of using TW being to reduce transaction costs.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You mean you did a wire transfer from your bank to them?

That was an option but I wanted to avoid the fee, the whole point of using TW being to reduce transaction costs.

UK calls it a "Faster Payment" service for upto 10kGBP.  It's free and immediate to another UK bank (we don't have "wire transfers" by that name).

Do the US banks not allow free transfers between banks?

The ACH transfer is free, which is why I am trying to do it. Most banks charge a fee for domestic  wire transfers.

Anyway I will hang in there for another day or two and if still no progress forget it and stay with my $45 a pop Swift transfers at somewhat lower exchange rate.

I stand to save at most 4000 baht by using TW since it's a large amount and the aggravation is close to being more than it is worth.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The ACH transfer is free, which is why I am trying to do it. Most banks charge a fee for domestic  wire transfers.

Anyway I will hang in there for another day or two and if still no progress forget it and stay with my $45 a pop Swift transfers at somewhat lower exchange rate.

I stand to save at most 4000 baht by using TW since it's a large amount and the aggravation is close to being more than it is worth.

Normally the Thai bank TT rate is pretty good for USD.. When I've checked it's  usually around 1/2% less than MMR (which TW uses).... depends on your bank though.. some are better or worse than this, and it does vary from day to day.

Since the TW fee is $2 per transfer plus 0.85% of the funds transferred, you will usually be increasingly better off using SWIFT for a larger size transfer (eg. if your Thai bank TT rate is MMR-0.5%, then TW will give you 0.35% less - so your $48 SWIFT fee is "cheaper" if you're moving more than about $13-14k).

The other "problem" with SWIFT is that you can't lock in your rate like you can with TW, but since the USD rate doesn't vary much (unlike GBP at the present time) then it should make little difference to you.

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sheryl... You might check out OFX.com... I opened a new account easily online (if you have a problem they have an 800 number with 24/7 support)... once setup you can add an ACH sender by them sending a small deposit to confirm... And at the same time you can add your receiving Thai account... Setting everything up before you make a transfer... Mine is all set up and I will try my next months transfer with them... 

Their website says says they may need to talk to you in person to confirm identity... I think I was lucky not having to talk to them being that I have a well established US address, valid US Drivers License and my recipient Thai account is in my name...

One potential problem for some is they do not do transfers under $1,000 USD

The one unknown is if their transfers will show up at foreign...

I have started another thread to get others experience here...

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Sheryl... You might check out OFX.com... I opened a new account easily online (if you have a problem they have an 800 number with 24/7 support)... once setup you can add an ACH sender by them sending a small deposit to confirm... And at the same time you can add your receiving Thai account... Setting everything up before you make a transfer... Mine is all set up and I will try my next months transfer with them... 

Their website says says they may need to talk to you in person to confirm identity... I think I was lucky not having to talk to them being that I have a well established US address, valid US Drivers License and my recipient Thai account is in my name...

One potential problem for some is they do not do transfers under $1,000 USD

The one unknown is if their transfers will show up at foreign...

I have started another thread to get others experience here...

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. But will want to hear more from others who have used it first.

I'm more than a little wary of turning over all my details inc. bank account number, passport number, address etc  online. Enough members have reported using TW for years for me to finally decide it was probably OK.

Personally and based on my "1st transfer" experience with TW, when initially registering right after you have finished setting up your logon credentials and then TW rolls right into setting up/sending your 1st transfer (kinda like a combo action) I would cancel at that point. I mean cancel doing the actual first transfer part.  

Now that you have your logon credential log back onto your need account and under your name/profile in the upper right hand corner click on the Verification selection. Within that area you can see what verification docs TW may need from you.   For me I only had to upload an image of my US passport main page....I actually updated the main page with all the info and the eagle page with my John Hancock.  Within 30 seconds I was verified.....good to go....I registered with my US address.  I could have uploaded a US drivers license or other type of ID like a Military ID I think....I went with the passport as mentioned.

Now when I first registered and continued on in initiating/launching my first transfer, right after that I started surfing around my new TW account, saw that Verification selection, and then I uploaded my passport mainpage and got verified.  But that was done "after" my first transfer had been launched....TW had not asked for verification during my registration process....maybe it should have but just didn't in my case for some reason.

That first transfer just didn't go anywhere even through I had funded it with the Bank Debit (ACH) method.  At the four day point I started an online chat with TW, asked why my 1st transfer seemed stuck....said TW showed me as verified...said no money had been pulled from my US bank yet.....etc....what's the problem?  The rep looked at my verification and 1st transfer status....couldn't figure out what was wrong in the 1st transfer just not going anywhere....also said my verification status was good to go.  The TW rep then recommended the 1st transfer be cancelled and I initiate a new one.  So I asked the rep to cancel it although I could have on my end.  The rep cancelled it...I initiated a new transfer a few minutes later....a few days later it posted to my Thai bank account no problem....and since then all additional transfers have went smooth and fast.

I think my problem was caused by me not completing the "verification" until after I had launched my first transfer.   Somehow the TW system got confused as to whether I was verified or not and didn't follow thru in pulling the money from my US bank to fund the transfer....so the transfer was just stuck. 

A few months later the wife opened a TW account, but she did I like I recommended above.  Right after completing the basic registration she did not follow thru with the first transfer at the same time.  She then went to the Verification area, uploaded her US passport mainpage....got verified in about 30 seconds.  Then the next day she logged back on and initiated her first transfer using Bank Debit (ACH) as the funding method....the transfer posted to her Thai bank account a few days later as additional transfers have.

Our transfers now arrive in approx 20 hours....or at least our transfers in January arrived that fast. 

Yeap, personally I would register and get verified "before doing your first transfer" to avoid the TW possibly getting confused in accomplishing the verification and initiating the first transfer within minutes of each other.  

In my case I verified just fine. Still problems, and now for unknown reason account deactivated.

Sounds like the proof of address documentation was because I gave my Thai address. They may have databases to verify US and UK addresses.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In my case I verified just fine. Still problems, and now for unknown reason account deactivated.

Sounds like the proof of address documentation was because I gave my Thai address. They may have databases to verify US and UK addresses.

Correct - others I know have had problems when trying to use a Thai address... (even when this is the address that your intended "sending" bank is registered).

I think they are more concerned where the money is coming from, than where you are sending it to, since you can set up a number of different recipient names & accounts, e.g. self, partner, etc.

3 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Correct - others I know have had problems when trying to use a Thai address... (even when this is the address that your intended "sending" bank is registered).

I think they are more concerned where the money is coming from, than where you are sending it to, since you can set up a number of different recipient names & accounts, e.g. self, partner, etc.

It was coming from US and going to Thailand. But they asked for the address verification long before I got to the "where it's coming form" part of things. I suspect they do this for all Thai addresses and perhaps for other addresses if they cannot verify it otherwise through an exisiting database.  I have no problem with that, just would have liked to have known ahead of time. Do wonder though what the many people who do nto get bank statements or utility bills sent to them in their name at their Thai address would do.

Needless to say no response to my email yet asking why my account was deactivated.. I;m giving them till tomorrow and then giving up on TW.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It was coming from US and going to Thailand. But they asked for the address verification long before I got to the "where it's coming form" part of things. I suspect they do this for all Thai addresses and perhaps for other addresses if they cannot verify it otherwise through an exisiting database.  I have no problem with that, just would have liked to have known ahead of time. Do wonder though what the many people who do nto get bank statements or utility bills sent to them in their name at their Thai address would do.

Needless to say no response to my email yet asking why my account was deactivated.. I;m giving them till tomorrow and then giving up on TW.

Is your US bank registered to your Thai address? (could be the problem)

Do you have any US address you could use? (e.g. relative with the same surname and explain they are named on the utility bills etc.)

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Could be....however, I know a couple of U.S. ThaiVisa members who registered using their Thai address but fund the transfers from their US bank accounts.  But I'm not sure/don't remember what verification docs they uploaded.  Maybe some of them will chime-in if seeing this thread with more info.  

But your experience is really just another example of challenges/problems expats can face in banking, money transfers, etc.  Could happen to any of us expats.   And many times these challenges/problems appear out of the blue, totally unexpected.....I've had my fair share of challenges/problems over the years....and I'm sure more will come in the future.  Preaching to the choir I know.

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

Is your US bank registered to your Thai address? (could be the problem)

Do you have any US address you could use? (e.g. relative with the same surname and explain they are named on the utility bills etc.)

My bank mailing address is my Thai address, yes, but those documents were accepted and verified. And my account, with a Thai address, was accepted, I just had to provide verification of my address.

So I do not think this has anything to do with it.

I am not aware of any TW rule that one has to live inside  the US or UK to have an account. And even if there were such, they would not have then authorized my account initially.

The de-=activation occurred days later.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

When I was playing around with my TW account today, I did a compare transfer test and the default "ACH" displayed a $3 fee.  I presumed that was a fee to do a US to US ACH.  I wasn't expecting that.  The overall fees were North of $21.00. 

Edit: I'm not complaining.  I'm one of the Schwab Bank to BKK New York ACH victims looking for a new gig.

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

When I was playing around with my TW account today, I did a compare transfer test and the default "ACH" displayed a $3 fee.  I presumed that was a fee to do a US to US ACH.  I wasn't expecting that.  The overall fees were North of $21.00. 

Edit: I'm not complaining.  I'm one of the Schwab Bank to BKK New York ACH victims looking for a new gig.

When using Bank Debit (ACH) to fund a transfer TW applies a 0.15% fee to supposedly cover their costs in using the ACH system to fund your transfer..  Expect you were pricing out a $2K transfer....0.15% of $2K is $3.  That fee sure beats the alternative of spending around $10-$20 to do a domestic wire from your bank to TW to fund the transfer.   Then you'll have the remaining TW fees that they call "Our Fee."   If you had been tranferring said only $100 the ACH fee portion would have only be 15 cents.

One good thing about TW is there are zero surprises with their fees and exchange rate....they are clearly shown.  You basically have only two fees...a fee to get the money to TW to fund the transfer and then the "our" fee.  And the exchange rate is locked.  Yeap, no surprises.

image.png.85322891f73280ce253b7882923f2822.png

3 hours ago, Pib said:

When using Bank Debit (ACH) to fund a transfer TW applies a 0.15% fee to supposedly cover their costs in using the ACH system to fund your transfer..  Expect you were pricing out a $2K transfer....0.15% of $2K is $3.  That fee sure beats the alternative of spending around $10-$20 to do a domestic wire from your bank to TW to fund the transfer.   Then you'll have the remaining TW fees that they call "Our Fee."   If you had been tranferring said only $100 the ACH fee portion would have only be 15 cents.

One good thing about TW is there are zero surprises with their fees and exchange rate....they are clearly shown.  You basically have only two fees...a fee to get the money to TW to fund the transfer and then the "our" fee.  And the exchange rate is locked.  Yeap, no surprises.

image.png.85322891f73280ce253b7882923f2822.png

Unless they "deactivate" your account unexpectedly mid transfer, no reason given, and then fail to answer email appeals.

????

On 2/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hey Pib, in all your posts on TFW, have you ever addressed / look at the issue of their customer / consumer protection status?

I've read some posts here lately with people complaining about their TFW transactions getting delayed and seemingly going missing for varying periods of time.

And then there are those of us who waste 7 days of their life attempting to use TW with no success.

I've finally thrown in the towel and given up. Wish I had not shared my bank details etc with them as it was to no use, and their extremely poor to non existant customer "service" leads me to have little confidence my data is safe.

????

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unless they "deactivate" your account unexpectedly mid transfer, no reason given, and then fail to answer email appeals.

????

As I've said all along, the new Immigration regime for monthly foreign transfers into one's Thai bank account seems structured to be pretty unforgiving of errors and problems beyond someone's control.

So, while Transferwise may work for a lot of folks most of the time, if they can't be relied upon pretty much all of the time, then they're not going to be a very good solution for Thai Immigration, which demands consistency and repeatability.

And beyond that, we still don't really know how Thai banks other than BKK Bank are going to classify incoming TFW deposits relative to the new Immigration monthly foreign deposit rule.

Archived