Thai, US soldiers build school ahead of annual Cobra Gold exercise

webfact

Thai, US soldiers build school ahead of annual exercise

7028cb1b5caac07f94d7daa1810c6407_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 12th February 2019 (NNT) – On Monday, soldiers from eight countries, including Thailand and the United States, constructed a school building in the northern Thai province of Tak ahead of this week’s 2019 Cobra Gold light military drills.

The soldiers converged on Ban Koh Ai Duan School in the capital district of Tak to build a multi-purpose facility, as part of this year’s Cobra Gold exercise. Throughout 2019, the soldiers will erect six buildings in five provinces namely Phitsanulok, Tak, Nakhon Sawan, Chanthaburi and Rayong.

Involving 8,474 soldiers, the 38th iteration of Cobra Gold 2019 is taking place from February 12 to February 23, 2019. Cobra Gold is one of the largest theater security cooperation exercises in the Indo-Pacific and is an integral part of the US and Thailand’s commitment to strengthening engagement in the region.

Cobra Gold will improve the capabilities of participating nations to plan and conduct combined and joint operations, build relationships among participating nations across the region and improve interoperability over a range of activities including enhancing maritime security, preventing and mitigating emerging disease threats and responding to large-scale natural disasters.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- nnt 2019-02-12

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

OK, I'll get in first:

Do all the soldiers have work permits?

Is bricklaying a job reserved for Thai nationals only?

<for the hard-of-learning: humour mode - OFF>

Yes, being a part of Cobra gold automatically provides work permit.  Cobra Gold maintains a consistent focus on Humanitarian Civic Assistance, community engagement, and medical activities conducted during the exercise to support the needs and humanitarian interests of civilian populations around the region. Exercise Cobra Gold is an annual exercise conducted in the Kingdom of Thailand with seven full participating nations.  Might want to check maybe your little country is also participating.  

^^^

According to an American officer I spoke to, (quite a few years ago mind you) one of the main points of "Ex Cobra Gold" is for the US Army technicians to service and attempt to repair much of the US supplied kit held by the Thai military...

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Why??? Thailand can't build scools? Thailand has no soldiers who can do labour??

Of course Thailand has soldiers.  But.  Cobra Gold as as its mission Humanitarian Civic Assistance, community engagement, and medical activities conducted during the exercise to support the needs and humanitarian interests of civilian populations around the region.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes, being a part of Cobra gold automatically provides work permit.  Cobra Gold maintains a consistent focus on Humanitarian Civic Assistance, community engagement, and medical activities conducted during the exercise to support the needs and humanitarian interests of civilian populations around the region. Exercise Cobra Gold is an annual exercise conducted in the Kingdom of Thailand with seven full participating nations.  Might want to check maybe your little country is also participating.  

Boy! did you miss the point - went over like a pregnant pole vaulter...

2 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

They (The Superior Military of USA) leave all sorts of armaments behind for the Thai's during these so called visits.

Think a bunch of tanks are already on the gifted roster.

No they don't.  Silly to think so.  The guy who checks all of the arms shipments and receives them lives ........... and is posts under the name of .........  Well, you know I can't tell you. 

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Boy! did you miss the point - went over like a pregnant pole vaulter...

I get it as a bit of a joke... But if anyone is curious...

The US soldiers don't have and don't need a work permit. If staying more than 30 days, we can get a Type F visa. Diplomats also don't have work permits. If less than 30 days, no visa needed. If flying on military aircraft, a passport isn't needed. They will stamp a memorandum. This is all setup before hand of course. 

This is a great exercise, I enjoyed it when I did it a few years ago.

If I said what I really think about any Western nation co-operating and collaborating with this military - I would be banned for life!

I was not born yesterday: I don't believe for one second all the propaganda that is churned out about any of this. Do people really think these marvellous militaries are the world's saving Godsend? 

I for one do not!

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Of course Thailand has soldiers.  But.  Cobra Gold as as its mission Humanitarian Civic Assistance, community engagement, and medical activities conducted during the exercise to support the needs and humanitarian interests of civilian populations around the region.  

Designed to make stronger ties between the two militaries and countries.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

notice you never see the POS Russians doing this.

Mr NCC1701A  I hope the yank soldiers are good workers. Because they will be doing most of it lol  I am just wondering how many Thai Generals will be attending these exercises They have 1300 to pick from

15 hours ago, jdlancaster said:

I get it as a bit of a joke... But if anyone is curious...

The US soldiers don't have and don't need a work permit. If staying more than 30 days, we can get a Type F visa. Diplomats also don't have work permits. If less than 30 days, no visa needed. If flying on military aircraft, a passport isn't needed. They will stamp a memorandum. This is all setup before hand of course. 

This is a great exercise, I enjoyed it when I did it a few years ago.

Participated in several of them. Enjoyed working with the Thai military.  Also, got to drop a bunch of new Thai Police out of the back of the airplane, so they could get their jump wings. Some were girls too.

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

And makes invasion simpler, should it ever be 'required'.

:clap2:

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

notice you never see the POS Russians doing this.

Are Russian forces part of Cobra Gold? 

Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, UK, French and German "POSs", as you succinctly call them, have never been seen doing it either!  To stick with your description, have the "POS" Yanks ever built a school in Russia?

22 hours ago, fruitman said:

Why??? Thailand can't build scools? Thailand has no soldiers who can do labour??

"Why??? Thailand can't build scools?"

Clearly you can't write or spell very well but can't you read either?  Didn't you read the OP? Thais are involved in the construction, have another look at the very first word in the title!

Archived