Boom Boom on the border – Thailand’s unlikely red-light district

webfact

Boom boom on the border – Thailand’s unlikely red-light district

By Tim Newton

image.jpg

PHOTO: The attractions of Thailand’s southern border town usually become apparent after sunset

On one side of the Thai/Malaysian border is Sungai Golok, on the Malaysian side it’s the town of Rantau Panjang. The two towns are separated by the Golok River as well as decades of furious fighting between Muslim separatists who want to reclaim some of the southern areas in Thailand under the Malaysian flag.

The Thai Buddhists on the other side are happy for it to remain part of the Kingdom of Thailand. Enough of the politics…

The real story in Sungai Golok is the thriving little border town that attracts Malaysian men nightly to enjoy the ‘pleasures of the flesh’, loud music, karaoke, copious booze and ‘the ladies’. All the same ‘lifestyle items’ frowned upon just south of the river in Malaysia.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/boom-boom-on-the-border-2

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-12

Previous articles extolled the "virtues" of other border towns with basically the same features. Lots of nooky available on the Thai side.

Reminds me a bit like how it is in Egypt. Going past nightclubs in Cairo that were still going strong at 10 am, full of Saudis that would come over for the weekend - sending their wives off to the malls shopping while the men would go party in the nightclubs.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Only unknown to those who do not know Thailand.  Other than the violence, the border area is good and vibrant in regards to many things.

Well it has always been there as long as I have known Thailand and before.  I remember reading about the place long before I lived in Thailand so that goes back more than twenty years,  but I suspect it is much longer than that.  All border areas in Thailand have brothels

Came through there a few years back. Quite a shock crossing over from dark Malaysian side (although the duty free shop was doing a roaring trade in cigarettes and alcohol!) to party town central. Had to wait for our minibus to fill up before we could head further north. The wife and I were surrounded by exhausted bargirls who fell asleep as soon as they boarded the bus.

My 'experience' of this party town started in 1991 and lasted for 6/7 years. It was a useful release valve for a fair number of expats working on a major construction project just over the border in Malaysia. Other places of 'interest' were Tak Bai and, a bit further afield, Betong. My favourite was Betong with the journey via the newly constructed East-West highway a rather pleasant trip but only really feasible on a so called 'pay weekend' with an extra day off.

Golok could be quite dangerous, but not from the current culprits. A number of shootings in the disco clubs plus hotel room invasions occurred in the time I was there and a few of our expats experienced the room robberies, with, unsurprisingly, minimal interest shown by the BiB.

The unofficial border crossing, easily sighted by anyone crossing the bridge, was a clear source of income for all involved, with the small craft piled high with all manner of goods. The high value cars parked in the customs area was a sure sign of rich pickings.

It was also a huge money maker for the local business operators, with the spent Malaysian Ringgits finding their way back over the border and into the local banks. Such that the volume of cash from Rantau Panjang to the Central Bank in Kota Bharu was the highest carried by the security companies (mainly Safeguard) for any route in all Malaysia.

Looking back, having the big blue UK passports available for the UK expats greatly assisted the numerous border hops. I once counted that I had done over 400 trips by the time I left the area. The current restriction on border crossings would also have been a pain to manage. 

Ahh, those were the days with even the red-eye early morning runs back to work when the border opened at 5am (6am Malaysia time) well worth it!!

This is hardly breaking  news. Thailand's biggest attraction is the sex industry. Every Friday night Singaporeans & Malays pour into LOS for a weekend of boom boom not shopping..  Massage parlors, spa clubs,brothels, karaoke comfort girls, pool hall girls,beer bar, gogo bars,night club girls and truck stop short time 200 b hookers abound in Thailand.

Can't walk 300m inany direction and not bump into one of the above. Much less distance in Bangkok of course.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Kerryd said:

Previous articles extolled the "virtues" of other border towns with basically the same features. Lots of nooky available on the Thai side.

Reminds me a bit like how it is in Egypt. Going past nightclubs in Cairo that were still going strong at 10 am, full of Saudis that would come over for the weekend - sending their wives off to the malls shopping while the men would go party in the nightclubs.

Ever fly with MahanAir?

In Teheran the plane is loaded with bearded men and "women in black".

In Bangkok the plane unloads "unbearded" men and women in very western clothing.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I would risk a few IED's on the road side if it meant getting out of Hua Hin.

How do you think the guys in Kota Bharu feel, especially the 7% of the population who are non-Muslim, living under the watchful eye of PAS (Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party); no alcohol, no provocative dress, no social activities that contradict Islamic norms, and definitely no pork. Only a 35km drive to the border and a weekend in Sugai Golok.

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Kerryd said:

Try a flight from IKA to BKK.

Hilarious, black clothing of men and women disappearing, beards getting shorter, dresses getting shorter and lower and the morality officers getting angrier and angrier.

And richer.......

• 4 weeks later...

This post full of bullshit and fishing in the dirty water, first of all the 3 provinces in South were patani Kingdom own sovereignty and the British annex it to Thailand. 

You can't call people asking their right back separatist!! 

More ever I travelled to the South and crossed the borders since 2006 until today there is no single violence action or problems 

Before you came here and post a load of sh... T review the history, be neutral, and go to the point 

On 2/12/2019 at 4:19 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The original article this snippet links to is dated Feb 11, 2018 (eighteen, not nineteen), and says it is more than a year old...

So why's it getting reposted here now, other than for tittilation purposes?

A summer hole, perhaps? 

" The real story in Sungai Golok is the thriving little border town that attracts Malaysian men nightly to enjoy the ‘pleasures of the flesh’, loud music, karaoke, copious booze and ‘the ladies’."

Booze? Impossible! They'd never do such things, they're honest people, methinks. But I could be wrong. 

Let's boom boom boom..( the dumbest stuff I've ever seen on Youtube)

The lady singer seems to have a boom boom problem. 

On 4/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, user343434 said:

Nooooo! I looked up my Passport, still 11 month Visa plus re entry permit. 

Darn Darn darn, is there a way to cancel the Visa and go for a Visa run? 

What's the purpose of your post, sir? 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:17 AM, Isaanbiker said:

A summer hole, perhaps? 

" The real story in Sungai Golok is the thriving little border town that attracts Malaysian men nightly to enjoy the ‘pleasures of the flesh’, loud music, karaoke, copious booze and ‘the ladies’."

Booze? Impossible! They'd never do such things, they're honest people, methinks. But I could be wrong. 

Let's boom boom boom..( the dumbest stuff I've ever seen on Youtube)

The lady singer seems to have a boom boom problem. 

Way Ohhh.

Archived