BANGKOK 22 March 2019 02:47
samsensam

what type of bank account?

i accept i have to put 800,00 baht in a bank account, i have the money and it can sit there all year. while i would like some interest it's not an issue.

is any bank account; current, savings, long term deposit... more convenient in terms of dealing with immigration? i'll be using chaengwattana.

thanks

I'm going to do exact same thing as you. Looking at a fixed term account. I asked my bank (light blue one, lousy bank) They mentioned 1.35%. Apparently you need make sure that the funds readily available and no deductions are taken by bank for withdrawal. 

Interested in the replies to your OP. For me personally I don't want to making sure the new requirements are met without making a careless calendar error

I am using "Fixed Deposit" account(s) for immigration purposes in Khon Kaen since years.

Interest are so low now that it does not make a big difference from a normal savings account.

I can't remember that there are immigration offices that would not accept a fixed deposit account. This type of account allows full availability of the deposit at any time (just loosing interest) and that is what immigration requires.

Which is your office?

He  said Chaenwattana.

I too am looking at doing this and have shopped around a bit. Best rate seems to be Krung Sri 48 month FD, 2.15% interest and the deposit can if necessary be used as collateral for a bank loan, useful for those worried about  losing their extension if suddenly faced with an unexpected emergency expense.

There have been past reports of a few IOs not accepting FD under the prior rules, I don't remember which ones. I'm trying to get clear guidance from my IO (Prachinburi) before taking the plunge and putting 800K into Krung Sri FD.  So far got only a "don't know", will be there again in a few days and this time try to ask one of the more experienced staff.

The rules do not in any way preclude a FD, just a question of IO interpretation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Interest are so low now that it does not make a big difference from a normal savings account.

Almost double, if I'm not mistaken.

Just now, Vacuum said:

Almost double, if I'm not mistaken.

I have let the one year expiry run out and get a whopping 1.00% at Bangkok Bank for 3 months interval.

SCB, 6 months, 1.15%.

15% tax on interest (can be reimbursed if it's worth the effort).

Maybe it's double but still miserable

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Krung Sri

I have also looked at a fixed account for the same purpose with Krung Sri but it seems for me they are based on a monthly deposit and not a lump sum placed in an account and sitting there, and that's it ? Do you have a link to the 48month FD?

Felt.

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

I have let the one year expiry run out and get a whopping 1.00% at Bangkok Bank for 3 months interval.

1.5 for 12 month, whoop-de-doo!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

1.5 for 12 month, whoop-de-doo! 

Have you made plans how to spend the riches? :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The Thai tax system have! 

For me, one night out a year, all I can afford!

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you scoffing at a "free" bowl of noodles almost every day?  😊

58 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

I have also looked at a fixed account for the same purpose with Krung Sri but it seems for me they are based on a monthly deposit and not a lump sum placed in an account and sitting there, and that's it ? Do you have a link to the 48month FD?

Felt.

All of the Tiem Deposits  are all lump sum deposits,  but the durations vary from as little as 3 months to several years.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/TimeDeposits/GeneralTimeDeposit.html

Although not made explicit here I assume that the prinicipal can be removed before maturity date, forfeiting the interest, because that is how time deposits normally work. . If it can't then this may nto meet TI requirements. Needs to be confirmed.

Link to the interest rates (download the first pdf file)  https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/Other/Interestratesfees/Depositinterestrate.html

Actually looking again I see that the first link does nto mention more than 36 months whereas the interest rate lists a 48 month option.

• Like 1

A non-fixed-deposit option available at Krungsri Bank is the Mee Tae Dai savings account which is currently paying 1.3% interest.  As a non-fixed-deposit account, it doesn't trigger 15% automatic interest withholding all fixed-deposit accounts do.  As long as your annual interest earned at Krungsri Bank remains under 20,000 there is no interest withholding, therefore no reason to file a Thai Personal Income Tax return just to get back that withheld interest.  Also, as a savings account no need to worry about fixed-term accounts maturing.  It can be as simple as setting up and leaving alone if that is your preference.

Mee Tai Dai savings account at Krungsri Bank:

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/SavingsDeposit/MeeTaeDaiSavings.html

The interest rate is given on the bottom of the second page (Item 5):

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/18e0cf3a-3024-429a-a7ad-6705802f3b9d/Deposit-Rates-22012019.aspx

5. Savings Mee Tae Dai Deposit

less than Baht 100,000: 0.60% 

from Baht 100,000 to Baht 50 million: 1.30% 

more than Baht 50 million upward: 0.60%

It's been accepted at Phuket Immigration, one of the fussier or at least idiosyncratic immigration offices, for a retirement extension for me these last four years.

Edited by skatewash
Added last paragraph.
  • Like 1

thanks for the advice

it's a pity it got sidetracked into a discussion about interest rates on various accounts...