Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

11 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And when you go back you will find it is 2x+ more expensive than you thought.

I've tried to keep current with the costs, I have friends living in quite a few countries and a common topic is comparing living costs. Some of them had thoughts about moving to Thailand but I set their facts straight (removed the TAT induced dreams) and now they won't even come to visit anymore. 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Or.. It leaves those people who actually planned..

worked hard back home for years until they had enough $ to go to Thailand

and not have to look for work and be a cheap Charlie

Those with healthy pension funds don't seem to come to Thailand.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Im starting to think 2 mill in the bank is an better option than health insurance start paying now at age 49

That's my strategy. Only problem is getting money quickly to Thailand in case of emergency. I have a debit card with 20k$ limit for such occasions. Haven't needed it even once in 12 years. 

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Probably partly 'cos we no longer needed to buy what we 'needed/wanted/luxuries' immediately?

I tried saying that, lot of the affordability comes from switching lifestyle to something similar as 50y back. Not my cuppa tea, I grew up in banoork, that was quite enough. 

51 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Legal status must mean that you cannot say you are a citizen of both countries... if that is the case -- residing here could lead to the deemed abandonment of permanent residency.

We don't really need to try and change the topic to my personal history.  Suffice it to say I have children and family and have lived and worked in both America and Canada and a family history that goes back to before there was an America in both countries.   My children are all fluent in English and Québécois. I've even played hockey for both American and Canadian teams. 

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I tried saying that, lot of the affordability comes from switching lifestyle to something similar as 50y back. Not my cuppa tea, I grew up in banoork, that was quite enough. 

It's not that simple.

Whilst living in the uk I 'needed/wanted' to buy everything - to compensate for spending most of my life at work....

Retiring to Thailand, it took me more than a few years to get out of that 'mindset' - but I think/hope that I've finally realised that most luxuries (crystal wine glasses and the like....) are entirely unimportant....., and so have a 'better list' of priorities.

To be honest, this still includes washing machine, dishwasher and computer......

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree that renting a house here is FAR less than in the uk.  Plus we don't have to pay council tax and the like - and from my POV this is the 'clincher'.  

Of course the 'quality' of house doesn't compare very well - but that's a minor consideration from my viewpoint, as I'm able to live next to the beach in a relatively remote/quiet area - something I could never afford to do in the uk!

As far as I can see, a 'general' basket of food costs about the same (unless you are happy to eat factory farmed/full of antibiotics etc. chicken and pork.).

Phuket has certainly become more FAR more expensive for food and clothes etc. (mostly way above inflationon) over the last decade or so, but 'eating out' is still far less expensive than in the uk.

Additionally, the occasional use of aircon doesn't come close to matching the cost of central heating throughout the brit. winter.

All agreed, but you need to factor in health costs.  First big event, the meter whirs like crazy!

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

most luxuries (crystal wine glasses and the like....) are entirely unimportant....., and so have a 'better list' of priorities.

What on earth could be more important than having a proper crystal set to sip your sourmash bourbon from while inspecting your plantation from the balcony .. if moving to a 3rd world country it better be an upgrade, proper colony mastah style. 

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

What on earth could be more important than having a proper crystal set to sip your sourmash bourbon from while inspecting your plantation from the balcony .. if moving to a 3rd world country it better be an upgrade, proper colony mastah style. 

What on earth are you going on about???

That is pretty much the opposite to what I said.....

On 2/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, Sheryl said:

It is not surprising at all. Even if ALL is given FREE, there will be whingers and bashers - it's in their DNA and nothing would stop them.

1 minute ago, ravip said:

It is not surprising at all. Even if ALL is given FREE, there will be whingers and bashers - it's in their DNA and nothing would stop them.

Indeed at some point soon Thais should start paying the farangs to stay here.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, overherebc said:

I really do get a bit pi--ed off with all the posts on the lines of if you haven't planned to have enough money for your old age then you are stupid etc

I suspect most of these people are on cast iron inflation linked Government pensions/healthcare and had 30 year job security.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Indeed at some point soon Thais should start paying the farangs to stay here.

THE end... of Thailand.

What would happen to Farangland? May develop rapidly with the undesirables and the burden on the coffers decreasing...

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I suspect most of these people are on cast iron inflation linked Government pensions/healthcare and had 30 year job security.

Sometimes... humans do mistakes.

All humans have not the opportunity to live in ivory towers.

Just saying...

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

Sometimes... humans do mistakes.

All humans have not the opportunity to live in ivory towers.

Just saying...

You are free to make mistakes as humans -- and to suffer the consequences of your mistakes -- but Thailand does not have to -- since there is no entitlement to stay here if you are not a citizen or permanent resident (like most countries).

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

THE end... of Thailand.

What would happen to Farangland? May develop rapidly with the undesirables and the burden on the coffers decreasing...

I've long predicted the white man will be extinct soon, thanks to feminists. Nobody wants to procreate with them. 

Just now, DrTuner said:

I've long predicted the white man will be extinct soon, thanks to feminists. Nobody wants to procreate with them. 

Yay! As my old CEO use to say... Mongrels rule!  (by the way white is not a race, only a minor trait; I also find it funny about people talking about 'white people' becoming the minority... but have to misuse/mistake statistics to make it white vs every body who is not "white" -- now does that include Spanish people or Portuguese or Italians? )

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yay! As my old CEO use to say... Mongrels rule!  (by the way white is not a race, only a minor trait; I also find it funny about people talking about 'white people' becoming the minority... but have to misuse/mistake statistics to make it white vs every body who is not "white" -- now does that include Spanish people or Portuguese or Italians? )

I think the race definition is caucasian. It's a non-dominant gene, as I can easily see when I look at my kids. Healthy tan they got. Same with blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. I think I should be on a protected species list already.

5 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Olive skinned   ha ha

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I think the race definition is caucasian. It's a non-dominant gene, as I can easily see when I look at my kids. Healthy tan they got. Same with blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. I think I should be on a protected species list already.

Caucasian... which includes Europeans, Western Asians (i.e. the caucuses), Central Asia, North Africa (i.e. Egypt), and South Asia (i.e. Indians). 

Does that include the immigration cost and inconvenience? Or only the food.  I had plans to live in Thailand, but have since decided to give Vietnam a try instead for the long term existence, short term visit to Thailand is ok still.  But the postings here by so many have educated me....THANK YOU for saving me a ton of hassle, money, and time.  I'm choosing the "path of LESS resistance"...Good luck to the ones that want to put up with this immigration shake down/flogging/rape of the good guys...

2 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Does that include the immigration cost and inconvenience? Or only the food.  I had plans to live in Thailand, but have since decided to give Vietnam a try instead for the long term existence, short term visit to Thailand is ok still.  But the postings here by so many have educated me....THANK YOU for saving me a ton of hassle, money, and time.  I'm choosing the "path of LESS resistance"...Good luck to the ones that want to put up with this immigration shake down/flogging/rape of the good guys...

Only includes the prices, not the headaches and frustration. 

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Vietnam neither has a retirement visa nor sth like the elite visa - not sure why you would think its the path of least resistance.

healthcare sucks there, traffic and air pollution is worse than thailand.

I like going there for holidays...but thats it...Even as european u get only 15 days visa exempt.

8 minutes ago, mike787 said:

That's good to know.  The last I remember was you had decided give Thailand a pass because you counldn't figure out how to open a bank account.  Good to see you got a more realistic reason to go somewhere else. 

However I'm a bit confused why you would post in this thread.  Don't you live in India and isin't India cheaper than Vietnam or Thailand? 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

That's good to know.  The last I remember was you had decided give Thailand a pass because you counldn't figure out how to open a bank account.  Good to see you got a more realistic reason to go somewhere else. 

Banking in Vietnam is a hassle btw, depositing money is a pain, u need to fill out customs forms and all that shit and have trail of every cent.

It's the opposite of thai banking.

But i guess he will soon find that all out himself 

15 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Banking in Vietnam is a hassle btw, depositing money is a pain, u need to fill out customs forms and all that shit and have trail of every cent.

It's the opposite of thai banking.

But i guess he will soon find that all out himself 

I seem to remember the hassle (and cost) to get her license (for her and her car) my sister had when she was posted to Vietnam -- was quite about more costly and worse than it is here in Thailand.  (no personal experience, just a vague recollection of the time and cost of the process was more than I would have expected -- I think also the cost of car is higher (based on minimum insurance packages) -- though she had her own shipped in).  But the grass is definitely greener over there..

Archived