Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

Undeveloped islands lol. Every nice island has it's share of overpriced bungalows, most choked with environmentally unfriendly resorts as well as local mafia.

This is the second time I've commented on the article. Not only is it horribly inaccurate. It's just a big lie.

And now the USD is creaking well below 32, the article is just a huge lie written for international consumption and tourism.

With the immigration issues of late and the poor cross rate, I'd be moving on save for being married and making a decent living here.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Thailand and have been here many years but please...International living is not an authority on anything other than how to market their products.  I have visited nearly ALL of their top 10 places to live and retire and often wonder if their writers have actually visited, or better yet, lived in the places that they are touting? It seems that IL is 'drinking the cool-aid" of the local chamber of commerce in each country on their list. I subscribed to IL for years and one common thread in all of their writing is a strong dose of serendipity. Have you EVER seen one negative or even middle of the road FACTUAL comment in an IL article? I rest my case. I have visited over 60 countries and stayed longer than one year in many of them....Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and south America. Thailand is about as good as it gets for me but is not perfect. If you live here you will have to agree.

Thailand never listened to farangs needs and wants. Never. Thai are far to arrogant to be bothered to listen and provide customer service. They also can't be bothered to learn English. As several Thai girls have told me over the years that I've lived here "learning English is difficult". Apparently so is learning to drive a vehicle safely! Etc etc

At least 2 or 3 decades of serving foreigners... and the hospitality industry.. Especially restaurants... Are completely clueless. Still!

IL sugarcoats every article. I never saw a bad word about any country they right about! Thier facts about Thailand and other countries are generally, wrong!

I have loved living in Thailand for the past five plus years. The countryside, the beaches, topography is awesome. The food has become boring, lower quality and more expensive. The people are more and more.. jaded and angry.

I only learned basic Thai and thus I have often felt isolated.. Reading.. I have zero skills.. So a store sign and news headlines are meaningless to me.

Thai people, generally, drive me crazzzzzzy and not in a good way. I'm not going to bash on. It would take far too long.

I'm moving out and moving on. I'll miss the physical beauty of Thailand.. sunrise over the tea plantations, crystal clear ocean in the Andaman and much more. I will not miss the lack of smiles, the expectation of me paying more for less and the worsening pollution.

Mexico has its own issues. Please pass my bullet vest... But at least I have my permanent residency already. At least I know the language at near conversation level. At least I'm not paying 10 times admission to a park just because I'm a foreigner. A disgusting tactic employed in Thailand. I will enjoy mariachi music, watch couples kiss and hold hands in parks while I can SIT DOWN on a park bench in a plaza or park. I can sort of read the newspaper headlines and can absolutely chat with a señorita at just about any topic. Middle class Mexicans have a good general education and are curious about the world.

Yes, Mexico is very affordable. Better value for my money.

I'll miss Thailand. But let's face it. It was an abusive relationship. Not at all healthy. Ciao. Hola México.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I like Bangkok, it has everything I want and need in a world class city. And its cheap to boot.

... even unbreathable air and cheap face masks ... :thumbsup:

On 2/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, webfact said:

Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

I am from the USA.  While some things such as condo's are relatively inexpensive and labor here is ridiculously cheap other costs are expensive by USA standards.  Healthcare in Thailand is cheap, even at private hospitals like Bangkok Hospital compared to the USA. Meals at most restaurants are 25% to 50% higher than comparable meals in the USA.  Food at Makro can be anywhere's from 50% to 400% more expensive than identical products in the USA.  Alcohol is very expensive in Thailand.  I can buy a very nice Malbec for about $10 for a 1.5 Lt. bottle.  Here I can buy a very poor quality 10% Australian 3 liter boxed  red wine from Australia for 1000 baht which is with today's exchange rates over $32.  Candidly, if you buy a home in low tax states like Tennessee or Texas I think you could live for about the same cost as Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I am from the USA.  While some things such as condo's are relatively inexpensive and labor here is ridiculously cheap other costs are expensive by USA standards.  Healthcare in Thailand is cheap, even at private hospitals like Bangkok Hospital compared to the USA. Meals at most restaurants are 25% to 50% higher than comparable meals in the USA.  Food at Makro can be anywhere's from 50% to 400% more expensive than identical products in the USA.  Alcohol is very expensive in Thailand.  I can buy a very nice Malbec for about $10 for a 1.5 Lt. bottle.  Here I can buy a very poor quality 10% Australian 3 liter boxed  red wine from Australia for 1000 baht which is with today's exchange rates over $32.  Candidly, if you buy a home in low tax states like Tennessee or Texas I think you could live for about the same cost as Thailand. 

It's always hard to do comparisons, and you get slammed for it by the 'apologists'.

I'm totally on board with the fact that if you want live as a Westerner, it's marginal at best.

I sold all my rental condo's in Thonglor, and bought rentals back in South Dakota. Taking in what I paid for common area fees in Noble Remix, then versus property tax I pay here, I make a better yield than I did in Thonglor. 

But again I'm not comparing Manhattan with Bangkok. location is everything

On 2/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, SammyT said:

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country.

Wow  cool man , sounds like you  have a right boring life ,  living your dream in paradise .

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country

There's very few people who can afford to retire in their own country.

Many pensioners just seem to eke out a cold and lonely existence while waiting to die in the UK.

It's much more fun living in the third world.

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country but feel they have a god-given right to retire cheaply in Thailand and will complain like there's no tomorrow if they have to pay more than they did 10 years ago for something. 

P.s. I've heard the Philippines is nice this time of year... 

Calm down Dear !!!

Archived