Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

........ and if they would get their bureaucracy in line, get some officers to speak another living language (like i.e. English) and keep visa rules and regulations clear and simple, bury the useless 90 days notification but introduce a mandatory, affordable health insurance (for those who have none) ....... then Thailand would be paradise! 

2 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

I am surprise that they didn't even mention about bargirls. 

If bargirls tripled their fees, the quality of the expat community would shoot theough the roof overnight. I wish they would do it, for their sake, and everyone else's.

18 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Yes, the survey should have taken into consideration the fact that the majority don't afford a health insurance and compared the hospitalization costs without ....

Or that not all expat retirees are American:

"The category evaluates things like day-to-day expenses—from the cost of a flight back to the U.S."

And it's a "day to day" expense?

The survey that everyone is freaking out about was written for ........Americans.

21 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

What thailand has going for it other than food and lodging over other countries are the easy ladies...once that well dries up, thailand will seem much less attractive as a retirement home for retirees.  

I think that appeals to fewer retirees than you seem to think.

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Question is where Thailand will be in a few years ahead?

My2Cents - Govern changes and recession where the tourism industry will get a real hit and the real estate market will more or less collapse especially in Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai ....

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country but feel they have a god-given right to retire cheaply in Thailand and will complain like there's no tomorrow if they have to pay more than they did 10 years ago for something. 

P.s. I've heard the Philippines is nice this time of year... 

Then you may also be here to realise that wherever you go, retirees will be complaining about something - that's why they're called "Grumpy Old Men"!

For my part, I do not complain about having to pay more than I did 10 years ago, that is inflation, but I do complain about my pension being frozen (no annual increases to help with inflation increases) and the Exchange rate of Baht to the British Pound - when I first came here I was getting 73 baht to the pound - now it's 40!

I remember saying something to my teenage daughter years ago about her being a "cheeky teenager" and she replied "Of course I'm a cheeky teenager, it's my job!" ????

3 hours ago, webfact said:

For example, nine dishes set over a seven-course lunch costs only $44 per person. For $17, you can add a glass of wine to each of the first five courses—

I stopped by last week to ask the price of a lunch buffet.   I almost choked,  and I never even ate anything !

about 7 years ago i had a great buffet there ( a once in 6 months treat)  for 350 baht.  Life is change .....

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I don't know about that, the Baht has just climbed yet again against the Dollar,Pound and Euro

Nothing last forever so with that in mind at least we have something to look forward to ... :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, sup3r1or said:

Affordable if you were a CEO of a company with a nice retirement package.

I don't think non-Thai CEOs will come to Thailand to inhale smog and smell stinky sois to retire here. There are many better places and the least costly will be Malaysia. 

I don't understand all these conflicting marketing reports...some say BKK is most expensive just under Singapore (which I seriously doubt) and others like this say it's the cheapest top 5 blah blah.

Then you have all these jaded long-term stayers (farangs) threatening to leave BKK for greener pasture in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, etc.  

Never heard anyone say BKK is second expensive behind Singapore

Link?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

What is your idea of retirement should be a questioned asked.

For me the requirements are not that difficult to fulfill.

I am at the let me be as I am stage. Get up in the morning and have a couple of coffees in peace and quiet before I have my breakfast. I don't like religion in any shape or form (those who believe are idiots) and I don't want it in my ears because they feel like it.

The rest of the day I want to spend as I want and detest being told what to do or when I should do it, by anyone, domestic or foreign. I had years of it in the army and since leaving I will call no-one Sir.

We have been travelling regularly around Asia since retiring and we still enjoy doing so and even with the 'new rules' we could continue to do so, but, every time on return I get, for some reason, a feeling of unease at the Imm' desk even although I am 100% legal visa wise, (Have they made up a new rule in the two weeks we were away) sort of feeling.

I don't need the bar scene and I don't want the expensive restaurant scene, most of the time we can do better ourselves.

I have told friends my next visa will be my last so I have 18 months to finish a few things and decide where I'm going, note I'm going. If my wife wants to stay here that will be her decision but it won't affect mine. At the moment my comfort and stability mental and physical is my only concern.

maybe a good topic for a poll.   but i hate those polls .   i have to admit the older i get the more i think about where i could go.   if it weren't for the cost of medical services , hell, i might even go back to north america.  I am at the same stage as ohbc (is that british columbia ?)    Would be nice to have a little cooler weather and a lot cleaner air.   

Guess the millemials are not the only MeFirst generation......now we have the OldFarts,  who just don't give a <deleted> at this stage.  Comfort and stability, mental and physical :   a little peace in old age.  Think my gf would tag along (but things could change)...

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Actually I have lived in Panama and it is a really nice country Very friendly do expats and very very easy to live there and work there No 90 day reporting or other ridiculous  requirement  Good infrastructure and hospitals as well What Thailand does not understand is they must compete with the rest of the world for expats money or there will be a breaking point for people will not come anymore

LOL. Most expats I see at the bars I drink at come in, have one or two beers and then leave. I don't think their dollars are exactly propping the economy up, to be honest. Given their tourism industry, which, despite the naysayers on here is is increasing (according to most stats), I don't think Thailand has to compete with anyone for anything.

In short, you're not as important as you think you are.  

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

Never heard anyone say BKK is second expensive behind Singapore

Yes, there was an article. Bangkok is expensive if your living standard is same as in the West. But many people live in remote god forsaken places and eat boiled rice and dried fish. Or food court foods. But it is still comparatively cheap. My one-bed room rents for 10K + 1K (utiltiy) + 1K (internet). If I put $500/day for eating, entertainment, etc. = 15K. So basically I can live for 30K and eating out, gas, etc. May be another 5K. Drinking in the bar is the most expensive, I think. So if one limits once or twice a month to bars, it's reasonable.

Compulsory health insurance will be the death nail for many retirees, myself included. Millions of baht worth of assets will be on fire sale. Anyone interested? Lol

Why are you here if you don't have money for health insurance.? Who buys millions of baht in assets and not tuk away 50k a year on insurance?

The runners who are broke are living in cheapo fan rooms and not beautiful condos [emoji24]

Something fishy about your story [emoji6]

Meanwhile in Lie land the immigration/ tourist department is trying to tell more lies to cover up the completely stupid decisions regarding retirees and visa rules and generally denying that the country is heading down the toilet, shortly to be followed by yet another coup, which may not be as laughable as the previous ones.    Could be a comedy sketch if it wasn't the truth......

To all the farang ..not falang you fools ....leave 2mrw in you are not happy lah...

Meanwhile in Lie land the immigration/ tourist department is trying to tell more lies to cover up the completely stupid decisions regarding retirees and visa rules and generally denying that the country is heading down the toilet, shortly to be followed by yet another coup, which may not be as laughable as the previous ones.    Could be a comedy sketch if it wasn't the truth......

Sent from my CPH1725 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

about the best an retired expat could do there is paying brokers for an annual "business" visa....

Doesn't Cambodia have a bone fide retirement visa now, or retirement EOS (extension of stay) to be more accurate?

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

Doesn't Cambodia have a bone fide retirement visa now, or retirement EOS (extension of stay) to be more accurate?

That's the question I was asking!  I've never heard of such a thing for Cambodia.... but the Khmer Times article I linked to mentions such a thing....

With all the recent talk of expats in Thailand picking up sticks and moving because of Thai Immigration, you'd think someone here would have mentioned such a thing, if it's real, in all the various Cambodia posts lately.

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

maybe a good topic for a poll.   but i hate those polls .   i have to admit the older i get the more i think about where i could go.   if it weren't for the cost of medical services , hell, i might even go back to north america.  I am at the same stage as ohbc (is that british columbia ?)    Would be nice to have a little cooler weather and a lot cleaner air.   

Guess the millemials are not the only MeFirst generation......now we have the OldFarts,  who just don't give a <deleted> at this stage.  Comfort and stability, mental and physical :   a little peace in old age.  Think my gf would tag along (but things could change)...

bc ( BC ) relates to my length of time in Thailand. ???? Since 90's but it does seem longer at times.

Edit.

Spent time in BC and Alberta but that was so long ago you could see the Prairie Penis in Calgary before you were in the outskirts housing driving from the east or west. ????????

2 hours ago, Trandewinds747 said:

Factor in the rip off theivery, con artistry, conniving Island mafia and under cover gangsters, corrupt BiB/officialdom, not to mention many of the opposite gender waiting to prey on naive farang men mis-judging the “come on” smiles as welcoming friendliness, get feet under table and pay heavy price, with all of these somewhat intangibles, Thailand is not as rosy as some of the other countries in the survey.

Sorry to be negative to those obviously happy in the LoS, not intended to take away from your good luck, but there are costable dangers that need factoring when doing the DD on this subject.

Strange that I never come across those mentioned in the first paragraph.

Perhaps I live a boring or sheltered life, but very happy.

38 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Guys Guys Guys nowhere did it mention thailand as phuket or bangkok....They are talking about living in ISAAN.

Well that the conundrum you always have with these things.

I've posted side by side cost cost comparisons, but I'm not living in Manhattan.

If you want to compare central Suk, try doing the same comparison to Nakhon Back of Beyond.

Some things are constant, and once again it highly dependant on the lifestyle you want to live.

If you are comfortable living in an Isaan tin shack eating Somtam from the street....Hell Yes it's cheap.

If you want to live a Western lifestyle however, then that tightens the equation considerably.

We do the two location thing, and when I look at the costs for us in our Thai house for 3-4 months a year and our US house, it's pretty marginal. 

Now it wasn't always.

When we first moved to Thailand 10 years ago, it was very clearly a cost advantage, but that really eroded over the past few years

Archived